Dessert wines?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love a glass of red wine before bed, a couple of nights a week.

For years, I've had zinfindel or merlot or shiraz, but lately, I've discovered that I love a short glass of sweeter wines, like ruby port or tawny port (so far, I am preferring ruby over tawny).

I have no idea what I am doing with wines, other than I like inexpensive, smooth, full-bodied wines.

Can anyone recommend a common, cheap, dessert wine I should try?

Lee

PanchoHambre

Prosecco for Italian

Gewürztraminer for German

both white... I hate white for the most part but you can find yummy versions of these cheap. Prosecco is closer to Champagne and Gewürztraminer mole like a riesling.

both are tasty without spending mad bucks.

Port needs to be expensive to be good in my experience...

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
There are many wines that are nice for dessert. Muscato comes to mind. I also used to get an italian wine that had flavours of almond and honey and was wonderful with fruity desserts, like pie. Port is nice with chocolate desserts.
Experiment and ask questions before you buy the wine. Generally, there is a wine in every price range for every palate.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions, everybody!

I just saw blackberry wine in the package store for the first time tonight, loco (well, because I was LOOKING for the first time).

I wonder if Muscado and Muscadine are similar. I will look.

I think I have to go to a specialty wine shop, since my local packy doesn't have much of a variety of dessert wines.

I like cream sherry, too, but not on a nightly basis. Tastes like prune juice to me.

Lee

loboloco

I don't think Muscado and muscadine wre the same thing. A muscadine is kind of a retarded grape. It is usually sweeter than grapes, and has a thicker skin. Scupernong or scupperdine are other versions. All are similar to a grape, but all are also slightly different. Usually the wines are sweeter, making them better as a dessert wine than the more tart grape wines would be.