yeah but..will we make it till graduation??

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I've been busy lately...really really busy lately. Remember that chicken coming home to roost story about the first cook I hired that turned out to be nothing but a misogynistic bastard...So, he walked out insisting it had nothing to do with the fact that I'm a woman. I had another employee that promised he could do the job if only given the chance. I remember how I got my breaks and figured to pay it forward.... I say after a couple of weeks he got the idea that being the lead cook isn't all it's cracked up to be. Lots more responsibility, lots more work, and lots more to answer for. I tried to cut him breaks but ultimately, I'm the one responsible for how the food looks when it goes out, I'm the one who answers to the client, I'm the one who has to deal with frustrated employees when they feel overworked....
So after presenting the latest cook with the drama queen of the year award:applause: I fired him. He also insisted it had nothing to do with the fact that I'm a woman....yet why do men always say that, especially when I'm not the one bringing up the sex card?? Naturally, I have screwed myself in the process because that left me with no cook, nor the desire or inclination to hire one this late in the game. Anyone I hired now would only be laid off after graduation anyway. I didn't have the heart to hire someone, get them off unemployment, teach them the business only to lay them off again in so short a time. Initially, I figured to do the cooking myself. No big deal, really. I'm accustomed to cooking for upwards of 500 per day, the 50 or so entrees the cook is responsible for is a drop in the bucket compared to what I used to do. Unfortunately, I still have the gig to run, as well. Relish, I did not, the idea of staying at work till 7pm after arriving at 6am..

So, I pulled one of my young lady employees from the other cafe to put her hand to the fire....and :dancing:she is rocking! She's a culinary student with desires to succeed that is clearly apparent. She has a better than basic understanding of cooking, has a great eye for colour and does a nice presentation, as well. She listens when I teach her and gets recipes that I verbally give her the first time. She made a killer chicken and mushroom risotto the other day that had people making very nice comments.

Graduation is the end of May and then we should all slow down for the summer, operating on a limited schedule. In the mean time, I have catering up the ass all this week, right up until the end. I've got a small operation, usually doing about 27 thousands bucks a week in sales and catering. I've got 5 thousands dollars in catering alone on Wednesday, and another 3 on Thursday...

So, now you see where I've been hiding. I'm going to the mattresses every day here, friends. I'll always stop in when I have a moment or two.. Just keep the booze flowing and start lining up to massage my feet.

Oh, Joe....the lawn dude finally showed up, so please, cancel the goat!:lol:

homecook

Wow, you've really got alot on your plate....or should I say plates! Sometimes you find the jewel in the most unexpected places. I'm happy to hear things are starting to work out better for you.
Relax when you can and imbibe when you can.....take care. We will still be here whenever you can manage the time.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Oh boy! What an undertaking. Congratulations and the best of luck in your work. Please keep us informed as to your progress.

Derek

Banned
Okay, I've been busy lately...really really busy lately. Remember that chicken coming home to roost story about the first cook I hired that turned out to be nothing but a misogynistic bastard...So, he walked out insisting it had nothing to do with the fact that I'm a woman. I had another employee that promised he could do the job if only given the chance. I remember how I got my breaks and figured to pay it forward.... I say after a couple of weeks he got the idea that being the lead cook isn't all it's cracked up to be. Lots more responsibility, lots more work, and lots more to answer for. I tried to cut him breaks but ultimately, I'm the one responsible for how the food looks when it goes out, I'm the one who answers to the client, I'm the one who has to deal with frustrated employees when they feel overworked....
So after presenting the latest cook with the drama queen of the year award:applause: I fired him. He also insisted it had nothing to do with the fact that I'm a woman....yet why do men always say that, especially when I'm not the one bringing up the sex card?? Naturally, I have screwed myself in the process because that left me with no cook, nor the desire or inclination to hire one this late in the game. Anyone I hired now would only be laid off after graduation anyway. I didn't have the heart to hire someone, get them off unemployment, teach them the business only to lay them off again in so short a time. Initially, I figured to do the cooking myself. No big deal, really. I'm accustomed to cooking for upwards of 500 per day, the 50 or so entrees the cook is responsible for is a drop in the bucket compared to what I used to do. Unfortunately, I still have the gig to run, as well. Relish, I did not, the idea of staying at work till 7pm after arriving at 6am..

So, I pulled one of my young lady employees from the other cafe to put her hand to the fire....and :dancing:she is rocking! She's a culinary student with desires to succeed that is clearly apparent. She has a better than basic understanding of cooking, has a great eye for colour and does a nice presentation, as well. She listens when I teach her and gets recipes that I verbally give her the first time. She made a killer chicken and mushroom risotto the other day that had people making very nice comments.

Graduation is the end of May and then we should all slow down for the summer, operating on a limited schedule. In the mean time, I have catering up the ass all this week, right up until the end. I've got a small operation, usually doing about 27 thousands bucks a week in sales and catering. I've got 5 thousands dollars in catering alone on Wednesday, and another 3 on Thursday...

So, now you see where I've been hiding. I'm going to the mattresses every day here, friends. I'll always stop in when I have a moment or two.. Just keep the booze flowing and start lining up to massage my feet.

I could bring the tar & feather's for the dudes that pissed you off Vera, but remember tomorrow is a new day and everything will be the way it was.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I could bring the tar & feather's for the dudes that pissed you off Vera, but remember tomorrow is a new day and everything will be the way it was.

Pissed me off?? Nah, not really...their behaviours show more about their character (or lack of, actually) than mine. Screwed with my gig? Sure, but tarring and feathering is a serious punishment that always resulted in death brought on either by the initial burns or the infections caused by trying to remove the tar... Nope, not interested in going that route.

However, I'm not above wishing a nasty case of crabs on both of them:shock:.

I'm also not a real believer in everything being the way it was...Not even too sure I get what that means. I do know tomorrow is a new day with all it's own challenges and victories.

I've no doubt I'll ride this wild ride to the end...it's the estrogen in me that demands I shout it out.

Derek

Banned
Pissed me off?? Nah, not really...their behaviours show more about their character (or lack of, actually) than mine. Screwed with my gig? Sure, but tarring and feathering is a serious punishment that always resulted in death brought on either by the initial burns or the infections caused by trying to remove the tar... Nope, not interested in going that route.

I'm also not a real believer in everything being the way it was...Not even too sure I get what that means. I do know tomorrow is a new day with all it's own challenges and victories.

I've no doubt I'll ride this wild ride to the end...it's the estrogen in me that demands I shout it out.
I know I don't wish death on anyone, I was just only putting my 2 cents in.

homecook

You go WOMAN!!!! :flowers:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Sorry, but it's too late. Although, I was able to get the shipping address changed to my house, and that grass muncher will be on a spit in the backyard of the Croatian across the street come Friday night. Should be tasty!

PanchoHambre

sometimes busy is good.... I like that you did not hire someone just to lay them off... that is crappy.

on the Woman thing... I would not take it too personally... people pull whatever card they can when the heat is on them.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Pancho, I figured the woman card was being played to settle their own inabilities. What I resent is the way it's used. The food business tends to attract a very diverse work force for a number of reasons. I've worked with just about every ethnicity out there; sometimes as the subordinate, lately as the superiour. It's been my experience during the last 6 years or so (the higher I got) that men of spanish or middle eastern background simply cannot abide following direction from a woman. It's happened enough times for me to see a pattern...:mellow:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
You are in a tough spot, because in many cultures women are chattel, and are subordinate to men in all things. When someone emigrates to this country, they bring all of their culture with them. Too many times the cultures clash and we end up seeing situations like yours. When I traveled extensively for an employer, I was sent to classes to understand the different cultures I would encounter so that I didn't give our firm a bad name by saying something offhand, or looking at a woman for more than a second or two. I was in a different country with different rules, and it was not for me to try to impose American culture on a host country. Sadly, the same is not given back to America when someone emigrates here. For some bizarre reason, WE are expected to change for people who often don't even care enough for our culture accept that we are different, much less for them to become citizens. And it's our own left wing whack jobs trying to tell US to change for them. Just who the heck is the visitor here?

You have a challenging job, and I don't envy you. But, I am glad the lawn guy finally showed up. lawns look so great this time of year after that first cutting.

PanchoHambre

Pancho, I figured the woman card was being played to settle their own inabilities. What I resent is the way it's used. The food business tends to attract a very diverse work force for a number of reasons. I've worked with just about every ethnicity out there; sometimes as the subordinate, lately as the superiour. It's been my experience during the last 6 years or so (the higher I got) that men of spanish or middle eastern background simply cannot abide following direction from a woman. It's happened enough times for me to see a pattern...:mellow:

yeah I can see that.. thought sh*t on them though... that's the world these days like it or not. Architecture was historically a male dominated profession and there are still few famous female architects but my experience in the workplace has seen things pretty equal... at least from my view... I think some of the women may feel that they have to prove something.

On my latest project I am working for two women and a gay man on a project for a religious institution.... if I had a problem with that I would be SOL. Fortunately they are great bosses and good people.

My last job though (the one that laid me off) no matter what I did I just could not find a way to work with my bosses... just a personality clash that was impossible for me to overcome.... they were condescending elitist snobs... I will take an A**hole or B*tch any day over that.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I know I don't wish death on anyone, I was just only putting my 2 cents in.

I'm sure you didn't mean it literally, Derek, but that you were just showing Vera some support, which I think is very nice.

Vera, I am the manager of an Ace Hardware store now, and before that, was an operations manager in a film assembly plant. Over 90% of my direct reports have always been men.

Even as a very young woman, I've rarely had issues with the men who reported to me. Some of my peers and superiors were a tad sexist, so I've had my share of frustration.

Now, the problem is male customers who walk right past me to seek out male members of my staff. It's cool when my guys don't know the answer and bring the customer to me! And it's the BEST when the customer tells me he wants to speak to the manager! LOL!

Anyway, it's great that you found a woman in your organization who has been able to step up to the plate! I'm sure she is delighted with the chance you've given her as you are to have her! Good luck!

Lee

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
And it's the BEST when the customer tells me he wants to speak to the manager! LOL!

I'll bet you feel the devil within you when you tell a customer who the manager is. :wink:

Every occupation has a version of sexism and mine is no exception. I was in new hire school when my company hired its first female pilot. There was no animosity among the males that I could see and most of the attention she received was due more to curiosity. Throughout my career I had many women flight engineers and copilots and their job performance was comparable to the males. In fact, the very best copilot I ever had was a woman. I'm sure she is presently a highly respected captain flying out of DFW. Despite that there were a few of my contemporaries who thought they were somehow superior in flying ability to women in general. That, is bull shit. Many of those ego infested men had no idea just how untalented they actually were. I've had to debrief more than a few and it wasn't a pleasant experience for them.

There is an Internet joke with a picture of four women as crewmembers of an Airforce Transport jet captioned something like "changing the nomenclature from cockpit to box office". However, women in professional aviation is not new. In WWII the US supply line of male pilots was literally running dry and the Army Air Corps started the Women Airforce Service Pilots group, or WASPs. They mostly flew transports and ferried bombers from the US to combat bases overseas, every one of them a hero. :thumb:

Wart

Banned
So after presenting the latest cook with the drama queen of the year award:applause: I fired him. He also insisted it had nothing to do with the fact that I'm a woman....yet why do men always say that, especially when I'm not the one bringing up the sex card?? ......

I'm sure I'm not the only one reading this and thinking there is probably a bit of predetermination at work on the part of hte author, and that the problem may not be a Woman in charge of Men. But more that Men have to deal with this particular female. If it's not that shes female then what is it?

Just an opinion derived by extrapolation.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I'm a believer in "everything happens for a reason". If that first guy hadn't have gotten fired you never would have found what a great chef this new gal is, she wouldn't have gotten the chance to show you what she is capable of doing. This is awesome for you and your restaurant! :)

Wart

Banned
I am the manager of an Ace Hardware store now, and before that, was an operations manager in a film assembly plant. Over 90% of my direct reports have always been men.

Even as a very young woman, I've rarely had issues with the men who reported to me. Some of my peers and superiors were a tad sexist, so I've had my share of frustration.

I don't know at what age I realized and first voiced how I don't care if my Boss/Employer are male or female, what race they are, or even the coworkers gender identification.

I just want a Boss who can lead and coworkers who can do the job.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'm a believer in "everything happens for a reason". If that first guy hadn't have gotten fired you never would have found what a great chef this new gal is, she wouldn't have gotten the chance to show you what she is capable of doing. This is awesome for you and your restaurant! :)

I direct two cafes on a college campus; we do a good amount of business during the academic year, so we're always looking forward to our down times. I hired the woman the same time I hired both guys, all on the same day. She had no experience, and both men claimed to have years of experience. Both had references that would acknowledge their work dates but little more. It wasn't until they started seeing what the job required that it became apparent they were both in over their heads. Every time I called them on it I got attitudes. In the mean time, the woman, who had been placed in a position of much less responsibility was flourishing and always seeking more responsibility. With her training in the cook's position she's actually learning the right way to do things and is getting experience she can use when she graduates. It's a much better fit with the rest of the kitchen, too. She has a pleasant attitude the guests appreciate.

Come August when I have to hire again (some of the older staff members probably won't be coming back) I am fairly convinced I won't be hiring people who profess they have no problem working for a woman. Putting that information out into an interview is a red flag.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'm going to bring my camera to work today.....we've got a dinner party for 200 people tonight. I'll take a few pictures for you all:wave:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
In some ways I would love your job - in others I think I would cracked a long time ago.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, one huge party over with... and glad of it, too. Lots of my staff is still there cleaning up, washing dishes, trying to get the hell out of there. First people in at 6am again...including me and two of the staff members that stayed all day today.

6 events tomorrow in additon to regular schedule. 7 events on Thursday, including a 6pm dinner for 100. Guess who gets to stay late again??:clap:

Please, someone offer to rub my feet. I promise they are are cute and sparkly as could be;)