Prime Rib questions

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We had the best Prime Rib for dinner last night at our local boat club. A new member has run a few restaurants and knew how to prepare the prime rib. It was excellent.
It was cooked in what appeared to be a roaster oven. Something I 've seen in commercial establishments.
My questions are:
What cut of beef is prime rib from?
What do you cook prime rib in?

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Prime Rib is from a standing rib roast, from the rib section. It's called "standing" because it is usually roasted in a standing position with the ribs standing vertically. If it was sliced it would yield rib eye steaks.

I usually prepare my prime rib in a Restaurant :mrgreen:

If you want to do your own it seems that pre-preparation and slow cooking are important. Here's a guide i found, The Perfect Prime Rib Page.

Deelady

I cook mine in a large roasting pan with lots of garlic! I'm a sear first then slow roast kind of girl, then I reserve the drippings for Yorkshire pudding to bake afterwards! YUM! Old family tradition for us, every New Years!:mrgreen:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
All I know is the best prime rib I've ever had was in a small restaurant located in Big Pine Key Florida which we stopped one night for dinner. To this day it is the most perfectly cooked prime rib I've ever had and that was true of all 6 orders at my table. I flat don't remember the name of the place other than when you walk in you look at about a 20 seat single row bar with a fairly large dinning room with no AC but large fans in each windows. It is also about 25 yards from US 1 (only road through the keys) right after a right hand turn as you are heading south. I also know if you turn into the road beside it heading west you wind up at either the local jail left side or my father's old fishing camp which is the Old Wooden Bridge Fishing camp.

I also had a good one here in Lexington last year in a Mexican restaurant, go figure.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I like your New Years tradition better than ours. My wife likes to do a pork roast. Pork roast is my least favorite meat. :(
Maybe I can persuade her to change to a prime rib tradition. :thumb:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm with you Doc not a fan of pork roast either but my wife also loves it. Luckily though she doesn't have any traditions except from my Birthday dinner is going to be Lobster.

Deelady

It is definately one tradition in our house to where we suddenly have EXTRA family come from nowhere! My father crosses his fingers for even a scrap of left overs each year!

Pork roast and fettucinni use to be my request each year for my birthday! yum!

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Did it have bones? You can get a prime rib roast with bones (standing rib roast) or without (like restaurant prime rib). The nice thing about the standing rib roast is that the bones form a roasting rack, so you can cook it in a casserole if you like...

High Cheese

Saucier
Doc, I've prepared prime rib at home quite a few times. The last time was Christmas 07 I bought a full roast, 8 bones...15 steaks. The King cut is a steak with the bone, a Queen cut is boneless usually cut between the bones, and an IIRC - Emperor Cut is a King and Queen cut about 20+ ounces.

Anyway, back to the meat. I make a paste/rub using dried thyme, rosemary, olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix it up so it's like a paste and coat the meat. Roast bone side up. I tried a version of Flay's recipe where you cut little slits into the roast with a paring knife and insert slices of garlic. It was just too garlicky. You can add liquid to the pan and cover for moist meat.

Nowadays, most butchers cut the bones off and tie them back on. I HATE that! Make sure you call ahead and tell them to leave the ribs on the meat, they cut them ahead of time usually.

Take the meat out of the oven on the low side of medium rare and let it rest at least 7-10 minutes under foil.

CharlieD

Yeah, but also make sure to tell the butcher to cut thru the bone. Otherwise you can't get meat of the bones. If you tell them that they will/should cut the bone thru alone the rib bone so you can have a steak with rib bone when you cut your roast.

As far as seasoning goes. This cut of meat is so good you can eat it raw and unseasoned, but we won’t do that. Season with salt, pepper and I like paprika. And then rub all over with Dijon mustard. It’s really good like that.

Last edited:

CharlieD

Hungarian paprika is the best, but if not Spanish one is also ok. Either one of them is not hot, but pepper is. And a lot of times I'll use cayne pepper. Of course if you use hot paprika you do not need pepper. This cut of meat is just so good. It goes well with anything. But the less the better in this case.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Jeek & Charlie. It does sound good indeed. :thumb:
We are grocery shopping tomorrow. Just in time to slip this on the list ....if we haven't already blown the budget.

Calicolady

I don't make it myself, and have only eatin it out a few times.
I don't like bloody meet to eat, and I ruin it by ordering medium.
Save it for the folks who like red.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I like it pink but not red. There is a very fine line between a Great prime rib and so so prime rib that is to red.

Does getting it with the bone add to the flavor or make it cook better or what?

chowhound

My dad always got it with the bone, but it might have been tied back on from what I remember. I still remember eating the cut, then reaching for the bones on the plate. Just enough meat to make it worth your while, like some folks like eating chicken necks. He used to use an electric rotisserie, but does them in the oven, too.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I'm late to the party here, but a prime rib is our favorite cut of beef. I probably do about 8 of them a year. Plenty of salt, pepper, and garlic powder, slow roast (I like about 240) till 128F. As someone else indicated, save the pan drippings for Yorkshire Pudding. As a matter of fact, I'm making one tomorrow night for my son and a couple friends :) I too insist on the bones being attached, and one thing that wasn't mentioned above, make sure they DON'T trim off all the fat. I like a good fat cap to keep the meat moist, and supply the fat for the Yorkshire.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi UnConundrum! Welcome to Net Cooking Talk. :thumb:

Thanks for the info. We were in a local grocery store tonight and I asked if they carried prime rib. Nope. They said good Prime Rib has to much marbling in it, and custmers won't buy it because of the marbling. :eek: That was at a Krogers, which is our regular grocery stop. Now I'll have to find somewhere else ...I suppose Sams would be out of the question. A coworker likes the cuts at Sams Club. have any of you tried those? Maybe I'll have to look up a butcher. Trouble is I don't even know of one around here. :pat:

Deelady

I'm late to the party here, but a prime rib is our favorite cut of beef. I probably do about 8 of them a year. Plenty of salt, pepper, and garlic powder, slow roast (I like about 240) till 128F. As someone else indicated, save the pan drippings for Yorkshire Pudding. As a matter of fact, I'm making one tomorrow night for my son and a couple friends :) I too insist on the bones being attached, and one thing that wasn't mentioned above, make sure they DON'T trim off all the fat. I like a good fat cap to keep the meat moist, and supply the fat for the Yorkshire.

We might be related! This is EXACTLY how my family has always made it....to a T! :)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That is funny Doc I picked up a whole prime rib untrimmed at the Krogers here in Lexington about 2 months ago. My wife just handed me todays Kroger ad and it is on sale here right now boneless whole untrimmed rib eye for $4.99 per lb. This is Angus too by the way. I normally don't buy my meats from Krogers as I get it locally a whole animal at a time but this was such a good deal and it looked so good we got it. I might go get another tomorrow myself.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I like to buy my rib roasts at a local farmers' market. There's one that sells CAB (certified Angus beef) at one market, and the other guy just gets good beef. I do buy a lot of meat at Sam's, and I'm quite happy with their meat, but the one near me doesn't carry rib roasts on the bone, just Delmonico roasts. Ask Joe, I get these chuck rolls from Sams, and smoke them on a BGE, and they are fabulous :)

Attachments

• BonesOff.jpg
    BonesOff.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Sliced2.jpg
    Sliced2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 136

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Oh yes those are good and I would like some bread with that please.

Last edited: