Polenta

FryBoy

It's like grits. It can also be made very thick, chilled, sliced, and grilled or sauteed. It's a side dish or the base for a sauce. I like it with wild mushroom sauce.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Polenta is nothing but corn meal basically. Here is a recipe I've used by Alton Brown from FN.

Polenta - Alton Brown

Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 50 min
4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for grilling or sauteing if desired.
3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 quart chicken stock or broth
1 cup coarse ground cornmeal
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 ounces Parmesan, grated

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large, oven-safe saucepan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the red onion and salt and sweat until the onions begin to turn translucent, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.

Reduce the heat to low, add the garlic, and saute for 1 to 2 minutes, making sure the garlic does not burn.

Turn the heat up to high, add the chicken stock, bring to a boil. Gradually add the cornmeal while continually whisking. Once you have added all of the cornmeal, cover the pot and place it in the oven.

Cook for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to prevent lumps.

Once the mixture is creamy, remove from the oven and add the butter, salt, and pepper. Once they are incorporated, gradually add the Parmesan.

Serve as is, or pour the polenta into 9 by 13-inch cake pan lined with parchment paper. Place in the refrigerator to cool completely.

Once set, turn the polenta out onto a cutting board and cut into squares, rounds, or triangles. Brush each side with olive oil and saute in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, or grill.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
If I remember right, when you chill it, it firms up and you are able to cut it into slices to saute or grill.

FryBoy

No, it's really firm once it sets and is chilled. It can then be cut in squares, oiled or buttered, and grilled, or sauteed in a frying pan. It's really good stuff when made properly.

FryBoy

Nah, it's actually a form of Italian mortar. If you don't believe me, just leave some in the pot for a couple of hours.

PanchoHambre

Nah, it's actually a form of Italian mortar. If you don't believe me, just leave some in the pot for a couple of hours.

LOL!

I practically lived on the stuff when I was a student in Switzerland (border w/ Italy) it was one of the few staples I could afford

I just made some recently w/ chicken stock and added parm and butter at the end topped with a veal ragu... it was tasty.

Nicer presentation if you let it set up and fry or bake the squares but comforting as served in porridge form.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The funny thing is corn anything is fairly new to Europe and the Mediterranean since it is a strictly American thing. I always got a kick out of being called an Italian dish.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Toasted Polenta Cheese Rounds
[SIZE=-1]©2008 Harry Kenney[/SIZE]
1 lb prepackaged tube of polenta (or herbed polenta)
olive oil
salt
pepper
grated parmegan

http://www.cooking-at-home.com/recipes/side-dishes/toasted-polenta-cheese-rounds/

MF5573.JPG

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
In Rhodesia, we had corn meal as a staple for many, they cooked it up as a porridge and served it as such. We used to scoop out balls in our hands, make a hole and scoop stew into the hole and eat it like that. We used to call it sadza. It had different names in different countries.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
My Mother would make gobs of polenta, and we ate it many different ways over the course of 2-3 days. Principally, she would make it and we would pour goulash over it, or creamed chicken, or any sort of thick stews. It was used in place of bread, but we would slice the leftovers and pan fry them in butter or oil, or just eat it plain. It was one of those inexpensive foods that could feed five hungry boys pretty cheaply...comfort food. Today trendy restaurants call it gourmet. LMAO. Next they'll be calling SOS gourmet.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
The couple of times I have made it, I added heavy cream to it and served it creamy. Have yet to try it sliced and sauted/grilled. I like it.

Tickle Me Elmo

Most of the time we make it in the firm state, then brown it and use it in place of pasta. Done right, it's delicious. We add all sorts of things, garlic, other herbs and a variety of grated cheeses.

I've had it in the South (U.S.) as a breakfast dish. Fried up and served with butter and syrup. Very good and can be VERY hot when it comes directly off the stove. It's known there as "fried mush."

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yuka is kind of similar in that by it self doesn't have a lot of taste but if done right is excellent.

I had some for the first time a few months ago when i went to a wine and food show. It wwas so much better than I expected it to be. There definitley was cream in the one i tried along with parmesan shavings on top. I tried to recreate it at home, with no success. That lady with the funky blond hair on the food channel made it a few weeks ago. Her version looked pretty good. Havnt got around to making it yet though.larry