I made the most amazing roasted chicken breasts...

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Using a roasting technique I first saw in Cooks Illustrated, I took two whole (not split) chicken breasts, with bone and skin intact. Then I made a mixture of softened butter (4 TBS), two big minced garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp. salt, and a teaspoon each of dried rosemary and lemon zest.

Mix this together and mash it all up. Take the chicken breasts and salt and pepper the bottom and then turn them over. Loosen all the skin, and put 1/4 of the butter mixture under the skin on each side of the breast, using a small spooon to spread it around. Pat the skin back in place. Then rub each breast piece with about a tsp of oil and pepper liberally. Prop them up in a shallow roasting pan, using the ribs to stabilize them.

Roast at 425F for about 35-40 minutes, until the meat thermometer reads 160F. Let them sit for about 10 minutes and then carve by removing each side of the breast and slicing in 1/2" slices.

So moist! So tender! I served them with steamed fresh green beans and little potatoes and a fruit salad made with mango and strawberries. We ate one whole breast and have the rest for tomorrow. Yummy! (Sorry I didn't take any pictures. It smelled so good, we didn;t want to wait to eat.) Oh, and I used my countertop convection oven - you might not get the same results in a regular oven.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
The meat ends up tasting seasoned all the way through...and so moist. I think it is important not to overcook. Anytime you need cooked chicken for a dish, this is an easy and quick way to get delicious chicken.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I used MexicoKaren's recipe as a base for last night's four split chicken breasts.

I used fresh rosemary and sage, but otherwise, made the same butter mixture to put under the skin.

I shook them up in a bag with flour, put a pat of butter on each, sprinkled with Bell's Poultry Seasoning and seasoned salt. Topped with fresh celery leaves.

Roasted as directed.

Very flavorful and moist, but a bit tough. Guess that's what I get when I buy giant chicken breasts for 88 cents a pound!

Lee

Attachments

• Chicken 1.JPG
    Chicken 1.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Chicken 2.JPG
    Chicken 2.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 127