Scotch Eggs

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here is a recipe DW and I found in a small country cookbook we bought while on vacation in the Smokey Mountains. True country stuff in that little book, and this little gem I had never heard of. Definitely not good for you, but they are very good. I usually only cook one and we share it at breakfast.

Warning: Not for the faint of heart or those worried about cholesterol.

Scotch Eggs

Ingredients

1 lb breakfast sausage (like Jimmy Deans)
4 hardboiled eggs, peeled

Procedure

Divide the sausage into 4 portions. Carefully wrap the sausage around a peeled hardboiled egg until it is completely encased. Deep fry the sausage wrapped eggs in 3 inches of 350 degree oil for 10 minutes or until they “stop talking” (bubbling).

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Holy cow dude!!! I'll be clutching my chest while snarfing these down!! LOL
Thanks!

When we read that recipe in that little cookbook years ago, I couldn't believe it! But we tried it, and it is rather tasty, especially with buttered grits! I found a pic of one on the net. View it here. I haven't made these in a while, so I guess it's about time! :lol:

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhh, first had them in Scotland (Glasgow), then made them at home once for a Great Britain-themed feast.

Delicious, but very heavy fare.

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Had some of these in Blowing Rock, NC a few years ago while there visiting. I loved them and asked how they where made. I was given a recipe similar to yours just to use Italian sausage instead of the breakfast but really don't see that as much different.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Had some of these in Blowing Rock, NC a few years ago while there visiting. I loved them and asked how they where made. I was given a recipe similar to yours just to use Italian sausage instead of the breakfast but really don't see that as much different.

yah i have had them both ways... italian sausage just has fennel seed in it and breakfast sausage generally doesnt

i have had these also lightly breaded and baked in the oven

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, so I decided to go ahead and make these again.

Tip: Mash out your sausage on a sheet of greased (PAM) aluminum foil. This gives you uniform thickness and you can then fold the foil around the egg like a taco. From there, you form the Scotch Egg like you're making a large meatball.

Tip: Use a little more sausage than you think you'll need to cover the egg. The sausage shrinks as it cooks and can split open leaving the egg exposed.

Tip: Once you have made the eggs, put them in the freezer or fridge for a bit to harden them up. The sausage gets very loose and greasy as you work with it in your warm hands.

Eating them: they are great just plain, or with sauce. You can slice them and top your beans, grits, or greens with them. And my favorite is to use the slices for a sausage & egg biscuit.

Attachments

• se1.jpg
    se1.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 221
  • se2.jpg
    se2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 159
  • se3.jpg
    se3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 183
  • se4.jpg
    se4.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 153
  • se5.jpg
    se5.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 156
  • se6.jpg
    se6.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 156
  • se7.jpg
    se7.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 152

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
WOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!

Perfectly beautiful, K!

Did you use a sage-flavored breakfast sausage?

I might have to try these, too!

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I posted a link in here of when I made scotch eggs almost 2 years ago and posted it on Doc's FF, but removed it. lol
Those do look nice Keltin.
Ever try them with the maple flavoured bulk sausage?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I used sage flavored sausage (mild). I bet the maple flavored would be good! We love maple flavored sausage for breakfast, biscuits, and other recipes. I'll be trying that next. :thumb:

Oh, I forgot to mention the fry time. These fry up fairly fast and are done in 6 - 7 minutes.