Porcupine Balls

Johnny West

My mom used to make this and forgot about them till seeing the retro ad on tumbler.

Recipe By-:Hunts.com

"Tender rice-plumped meatballs simmered in a sweet tomato sauce."
Ingredients

2 (8 ounce) cans Hunt's(R) Tomato Sauce
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 pound extra lean ground beef

1/4 cup dry instant white rice, uncooked
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions-:

Mix tomato sauce and sugar in large skillet; set aside.
Combine egg, meat, rice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper in large bowl. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place in skillet with sauce; spoon sauce over meatballs.
Cook over medium heat until sauce comes to a boil. Cover skillet with lid. Reduce heat to low; simmer 20 minutes, or until meatballs are no longer pink in centers (160 degrees F).

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2016 Allrecipes.com
Printed From Allrecipes.com 9/19/2016

Attachments

• ########Hunt's.jpg
    ########Hunt's.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 185

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The recipe you posted is a little different than the one in the old ad, John, but the idea is the same.

Actually, the old one has you add a little poultry seasoning to the meatball/rice mixture, which sounds delicious to me (I'm a huge fan of Bell's Seasoning!)

Lee

Johnny West

Ja, I knew that when I posted it. I thought the instant rice would cook better than regular, too.

I've never bought poultry seasoning in my life but will get some Johnny's next time I go to commissary. I have a list started. :whistling:

Johnny West

I went to Winco and got all I needed for this but passed on the poultry seasoning. One can not get a very small box of instant rice. I opted for the cheapest Winco brand instant brown rice.