Cucumber, Onion, & Tomato Salad For The Heat Wave

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Near record heat here today. Whew!

Picked up fresh cukes and tomatoes from the farmers market this AM.

1 medium tomato cut into about 1/16ths
3/4 medium onion halved lengthwise and sliced 1/16 - 1/8" thick
3 medium cucumbers, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and sliced into 1/4" sections
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and place in the fridge.

This is the first time I've made this without seeding the tomato or the cukes. Also, I didn't add any salt or pepper because of the situation - I'm taking this salad to an outdoor concert late this afternoon and the temperature is going to be in the mid to high 90's. I thought I'd wait until just before I leave and add spices to taste, depending on how I feel. :WitchBrewsSmiley:

Attachments

• SDC13209.JPG
    SDC13209.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've been having something similar as a side all this week. Same stuff, but I added green pepper and a can of Great Northern beans.

Lee

Leni

I also add bell pepper to your mix Buzz. I use 1/2 red wine vinegar and 1/2 water along with thyme. I start this in a bowl in the refrig and keep adding to it all summer.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I also add bell pepper to your mix Buzz. I use 1/2 red wine vinegar and 1/2 water along with thyme. I start this in a bowl in the refrig and keep adding to it all summer.

And you're still alive? lol I'll try that. ;)

Leni

It's the acid of the vinegar my friend. And don't forget that tomatoes are also acid. I keep it in the back of the refrig where it is the coldest. By the way I use red onion for this. It adds color and is milder. I posted my recipe for this someplace, maybe another site. I am removing and adding to this bowl all the time so nothing really has a change to go bad. Basically I'm pickling the veggies. After a few weeks the juices from the veggies make for a very nice dressing.

Just looked at your picture again. I use slices of the tomatoes and other vegetables rather than dicing.

homecook

I add green pepper to mine also. And I just picked my first cucumber today so this sounds like a great use for it.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I use red wine vinegar too. I've got some in the fridge now!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We've been marinating in balsamic vinaigrette this week. When it's out we'll go to something else.

Leni

This is another one of my a little of this and a little of that non recipes.

Sliced tomatoes
Sliced cucumber
Sliced red onion
Sliced bell pepper

Amounts of the above are to your taste. I will use green bells and sometimes add a red one.

I make a mixture of 1/2 red wine vinegar (not the cheap kind) and 1/2 water, enough to cover the veggies. Depending upon my mood and what is available I'll add basil or thyme or a dash of Italian mixed spice. After letting it sit for awhile I'll taste to see if it needs a touch of sugar. It's best to make this a few days ahead so that the veggies have a chance to release their juices. I use a slotted spoon and serve this over a bed of lettuce.

As I said earlier I start this once the tomatoes are ripe from my garden and keep this going for the rest of the summer. Just keep adding veggies and liquuid as needed. It should be on the vinegary side, not too sweet or it will spoil. I'll have to try a batch using balsamic Joe. That does sound good.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmmmm Buzz!
I love cuke and onion salad.
Tomatoes would only make it better.
Gonna try it.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
We had some with dinner tonight - I had lots of vinegars, but no white, so I used rice vinegar and cut the sugar a bit. I also sliced the tomatoes, because that's the way Jerry likes them. It was delightful - Jerry loved it. Thanks, Buzz.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Ummmmm. That sounds good! I don't have feta, but I have queso fresco or cotija, which is almost the same. I'm doin' that tomorrow. Thanks, UR!

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Ummmmm. That sounds good! I don't have feta, but I have queso fresco or cotija, which is almost the same. I'm doin' that tomorrow. Thanks, UR!

Should do the trick! cotija is my new fave for cheeses, did a bunch of smoked duck, cotija, and pablano taquitos, NOMNOMNOM, I LOVE THAT CHEESE, salta, hard, and so versatile!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Me too! Your tacquitos sound scrumptious. Try the cotija on some black beans or charro beans...perfecto.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Reminds me of a cucumber salad our next door neighbour made back in the 60s and 70s. It was perfect with summer dinner.:corn: