New Contest - Open till October 24, 2010

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
As they say, all work and no play can be dull. So, after conferring with Doc, I’m starting a new Contest based on a simple online Flash video game! The game is here.

http://armorgames.com/play/6450/epic-coaster

The object of the game is to last as long as possible. The roller coaster car starts on the left and moves to the right, but the track is broken. You have to make the car jump the gaps in the track to keep going.

There is only 1 key to press, either the Up Arrow or the Space bar to make the car jump. Tap the key for a short jump; hold down the key for a long jump.

The game is never ending. Each time you play the game, the track used is randomized, so you’ll never see the same track twice. The longer you last, the faster the game becomes, and the higher your score will be.

The game is a simple Flash game meaning it plays in your browser. It doesn’t load anything onto your PC. I am not affiliated with this game, but picked it since it is rather fun, and only 1 key is required to play it. Anyone can play this game!

In this contest, the Top 3 scores win a prize.

1st Place: 1 Year Site Supporter status here at NCT + 1 Mini-Pack of spices from Penzey’s

2nd Place: 1 Mini-Pack of spices from Penzey’s

3rd Place: A new NCT Stylized Ink Pen

If you are already a site supporter, Doc will simply add a year to your subscription.

The mini-packs available are either the Baking Pack or the Grill & Broil Pack listed here.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysminigiftbox.html

The rules are simple.

1. Everyone here at NCT is eligible to play.

2. Play the game and then take a screenshot of your score, then post your screenshot. If you need help posting a screenshot of your score, pleas refer to this thread: http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16546

3. You can post as many scores as you like until the contest closes. So if you have the 1st place score, then someone beats your score, you can play again to beat them. A little friendly competition is encouraged.

4. The contest ends on Sunday, October 24, 12 PM CST. All scores posted before 12 PM on that day are valid and will be entered into the contest.

5. Once the winners have been announced, you should PM me or Doc with your mailing address so that your spices or pen can be mailed to you. Also, if you win a spice pack, let us know which one of the two you prefer.

6. If you are uncomfortable giving your address to me or Doc and would instead like to donate your prize to someone else, that is acceptable. If you choose to donate your prize, PM me so that I know that is your desire. If you have a person in mind, let me now who they are, otherwise, I’ll make a post in this thread saying the prize has been donated, and the first poster to ask for will get it.

Ok, that’s it. Here’s a score I just got after a few seconds of play. Much higher scores are possible, so let’s see what you’ve got!! :clap:

score1.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, that is a good score right off the bat. :D
Thanks for putting this together Keltin, it should be fun.
Who will be the brave one to post the 1st score (not counting Keltin's)?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Probably not me. I have already sent several cars full of merriment seekers plunging to their deaths. Oh great...now I won't get ANYTHING done...

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Me too Karen. I've killed more than my share of coaster riders tonight. :hide:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Have fun guys! My score doesn't count. It's just something I posted to get it started. If the Top 3 scores posted are below mine, they win. My score is NOT included in this. That score was an idea, it is possible to go WAY above that, but what matters here is the Top 3 our NCT users post! So have fun!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My score does not count either, but here is what i got after my best run.

Attachments

• score1.jpg
    score1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 176

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
My score does not count either, but here is what i got after my best run.

Awesome Doc!! :clap:

If you aren't careful......you could get addicted to this little game! :lol:

Thanks for playing!!

So come on guys, Doc is posted, can you meet or exceed him? Let's do this!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I haven't gotten past four digits, but I haven't really applied myself. Let's see - do the dishes or play the game, do the dishes or play the game...hmmm.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I haven't gotten past four digits, but I haven't really applied myself. Let's see - do the dishes or play the game, do the dishes or play the game...hmmm.

The dishes need to be done.....but the game wins you real world prizes! :yum:

K

Kimchee

That could be addicting.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 173

vyapti

I got 150k at work today, but didn't take a screenie. Thanks ALOT, Keltin. I needed another way to procrastinate.

mhend

Yea, this is addictive and FUN! Thanks Keltin! Great idea!

This is as high as I could get before I lost my sanity. :yum:

game.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Okay...this is definitely addicting...just what I need...Thanks Keltin :glare:

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
O-M-G this is ADDICTING! :lol:

Attachments

• high-score-3.jpg
    high-score-3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Okay, I'm done now....

Attachments

• high-score-4.jpg
    high-score-4.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 163

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here’s a few tips that help me when I play the game.

1. If you’re right-handed, try using the UP ARROW key instead of the space bar. For me, that’s easier and more comfortable.

2. You don’t always have to jump. If the track you are on is higher than the next, and the space is short, let the car just ride off the current track and it will hit the next one. This becomes important later in the game when you are moving faster and are faced with 2-3 small tracks in a row.

3. It’s hard, but try not to look at your score as you play! If you must, then do it when you are facing a long track. When a long track approaches, jump, then grab a quick peek at your score.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Sneak a peak of your score? Are you serious? If I take my eyes off of the roller coaster for a split second, I'm in the water.

Attachments

• high-score-6.png
    high-score-6.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 163

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
DANG Mama!! :w00t:

You got some skills!!! I might have to bring you on as a technical consultant on my next book! :lol:

Are you using Space, Up Arrow, or mouse for your jumps?

Keep it up everyone!! :clap:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Epic Coaster Leaderboards

1. Mama - 495,884
2. Kimchee - 140,933
3. Mhend - 116,370

Come on everyone, step up and give it a shot!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Am I the only one addicted to this silly game? C'mon y'all!

Attachments

• high-score-7.png
    high-score-7.png
    178.6 KB · Views: 159

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Mama, I think it is possible that you are the only one who can PLAY this silly game, I'm tryin', I'm tryin', but my scores are, so far, not worth posting!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Mama, I think it is possible that you are the only one who can PLAY this silly game, I'm tryin', I'm tryin', but my scores are, so far, not worth posting!

Do you have lag in your connection? That might be some of it.

Are you using the Space bar, Arrow key, or Mouse for jumps? I tried mouse and it doesn't work very well at all!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
NCT’s Epic Coaster Leaderboards

1. Mama - 512,866

2. MexicoKaren - 141,067
3. Kimchee - 140,933
4. Mhend - 116,370

YES! Come on guys - this is in YOUR hands!!!!

Nice job Karen!!! :clap:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I know what you mean, Karen :yum:

A little advice, like Keltin said, use the up arrow if you are right handed and the space bar if you are left handed.

Also, see that annoying little ad at the bottom of your screen shot that says "Web based game no download required"? Scroll your screen up so that you don't see it. It's very distracting.

Lastly, relax and get comfortable before you start.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I know what you mean, Karen :yum:

A little advice, like Keltin said, use the up arrow if you are right handed and the space bar if you are left handed.

Also, see that annoying little ad at the bottom of your screen shot that says "Web based game no download required"? Scroll your screen up so that you don't see it. It's very distracting.

Lastly, relax and get comfortable before you start.

Great advice!

Also, click start a new game with your mouse then move your mouse cursor off screen before hitting your keyboard key to actually begin! That mouse cursor on screen is distracting!