Onion Sauce??

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I have been a member of a cooking blog for a short time now.
It's nothing at all like being here.
Some people post their own original recipes, others find random stuff from other sources, like Better Homes and Gardens, etc.. which is ok.
However, those posted as original or "mine", or Grandma's or Uncle Ken's always catch my eye.

Here is one.
This makes 1 cup of sauce and it's fairly easy to make.

1/2 c chopped onion
1 T flour
1 T butter
1 c milk
salt and pepper.

The recipe says basically, to cook the onion in the butter, then blend in the flour and milk until it thickens, then to season with salt and pepper.
It also says to serve it over vegetables or add it to a meatloaf mixture.

My question is.. what vegetables would you all serve this over?
Or.. how else would you all incorporate it into a recipe?
It's so simple and sounds delicious and I want to use it, but don't have a clue.:huh:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I would serve it with a roast meat such as chicken or pork. I'm not sure that it would go particularly with any vegetable.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I would serve it with a roast meat such as chicken or pork. I'm not sure that it would go particularly with any vegetable.
That's what I was thinking Ray, about the vegetables.. the only thing I could think of would be something green like brussels sprouts? It would need to be a veg that could do well with a simple creaminess with the onion bite.

I do like your idea of serving it over chicken or pork.
Thanks sweety. :wink:

More suggestions please?

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
You could use instead of the cheese sauce for something like cauliflowers.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It sounds like a biscuit gravy, only with onions instead of sausage.

How about you use it over English muffins and asparagus? Or over portobellos?

Or chop up mushrooms to toss in the sauce and serve it over biscuits?

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm back with other ideas:

Stuffed eggplant, stuffed zucchini, stuffed peppers. Stuffing includes anything you like - rice, tomatoes, cheese, herbs, other things already mentioned.

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
It sounds like a biscuit gravy, only with onions instead of sausage.

How about you use it over English muffins and asparagus? Or over portobellos?

Or chop up mushrooms to toss in the sauce and serve it over biscuits?

Lee

I was thinking mushrooms too. But saute the mushrooms with the onion to impart more flavor.

A little of the original sauce over grilled asparagus or zuchini might be good. It could be a pasta base for bowtie and sauteed eggplant, etc. If you were to add an herb I would start with sage or thyme.

OH! You could mix some in with peas. I think the sweetness of the onion would go good with the peas. I don't know the consistency of the sauce though. But I'm thinking of it as very chunky.

You could blend the sauce and use it anwhere you would have a regular bechamel sauce.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That sounds like it would be good on mashed potatoes with a hamburger steak on the side.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I make something similar to this to pour over salsbury steaks. I saute the onion on medium low heat in butter/olive oil until translucent w/a clove of crushed garlic. Add 1/4 c of flour. Cook the flour until absorbed, then add a can or two of beef broth then simmer until thickened. The onions "melt" into the sauce making a smoothe gravy w/a wonderfully rich taste...

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like it would be good over Country Fried Steak/Chicken or Cube Steaks.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'd serve it over peas, mushrooms or spinach...making it like a creamed spinach, etc.

My sister makes a great onion sauce for hot dogs - she sautes onions in butter, then adds chopped garlic, ketchup, chili powder and habaneros (depending on who's eating...)

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks again!
With your help, I have thought of a couple of ideas.

I think it might work well with either tuna or salmon, peas and those crunchy chow mein noodles (there is a recipe out there that does involve the above ingredients in a cream sauce of sorts).

Also thought perhaps adding some smoked cheddar to the sauce, then adding some small shrimps and asparagus tips, then serving over toast points?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks again!
With your help, I have thought of a couple of ideas.

I think it might work well with either tuna or salmon, peas and those crunchy chow mein noodles (there is a recipe out there that does involve the above ingredients in a cream sauce of sorts).

Also thought perhaps adding some smoked cheddar to the sauce, then adding some small shrimps and asparagus tips, then serving over toast points?

You are so making me hungry! Your ideas sound great! I might be trying them myself soon! :wink: