Dry-Aged, Slow-Roasted Prime Rib

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
There are a bunch of great threads and photos of prime rib on this forum, but I'm so excited about the DEAL I got, that I just had to share!

The 6.71 lb. roast I bought at my local market is normally $9.99/lb. or $67.03.

They marked it down to $7.88/lb, or $52.87.

But they had a coupon if you bought $125 worth of groceries (which I had planned to anyway, since my father is here for the week), the roast would be $5.88/lb or $39.40!

AND I had a gift card for $25, which I applied, so my $67 roast ended up costing me $14.40!!! :blob_blue:

There will be 3 of us for dinner, and we each love bones, so I got a roast with 3 bones.

SilverSage, an occasional poster here and a terrific cook, posted a thread about prime rib where you roast the meat for awhile, then turn off the oven and don't open it for two hours.

I just wrote to her, asking if she still uses that method. She answered that she gave it up, since results were inconsistent. She said she now uses this low and slow method, with the reverse sear.

I think I'll try this. http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/food-lab-guide-to-prime-rib.html

Will post results.

Lee
1 Raw.JPG

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Re: My Christmas 2015 Prime Rib

zatz a deal indeed! I've got a three bone on-dry-age-order at the butcher shop; sigh, methinks it might cost a bit more than your deal!

I also do mine low&slow at 235'F (for starters) checking the temp as I go along and adjust the temp (usually up...) to hit my "eat at: " time. for the reverse sear: pull it and allow it to rest 10-15 minutes while the oven goes to max temp, then stick it back in the oven for the crust.

(inconsistent) ayup. the hand-me-down methods have way too many variables to work consistently in everyone's kitchen. a thermometer is the cow's best friend (g)

Johnny West

I didn't buy one this year since Christmas dinner is at #1 son's house.

A few years ago I got a prime rib at the comissary then wet aged it on the garage floor for over a week. Everyone thought I was nuts but it came out superb.

My DIL's sister bout two prime ribs for Thanksgiving - $300. But then she's single, works for Alaska Airline, pays no rent or untilites, and can afford it.

I look forward to your dinner pictures and report.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Johnny, please describe your wet-age method.

Chowder, I'm going to dry-age for just 3 days in the fridge. Can't stand the aroma longer than that, LOL!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter

3-5 days dry aging does usually make a notable difference - goferit!

our local butcher will do max twelve days

Johnny West

My garage is not heated so usually it's darn cold. I put the roast on a glass baking dish and lightly cover it with butcher paper and place it on the garage floor. It's usually as cold or colder than my refrigerator.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter

there's two factor for dry aging beef, aside from cleanliness....

one is temperature. needs to be just above freezing to prevent rampant bacterial growth.

the other is humidity. if it is too dry the beef dries out too fast, in the extreme - beef jerky. if the humidity is too high, it hardly dries out _and_ you get a mold growth issue.

self defrosting home fridges are too dry. it works for 3-5 days, after that you're headed for crispy critter exterior. stuff in the 15-9,000 day range will become jerky.

the "dorm fridge" - i.e. not a 'defrosting' type - approach stays almost always too damp. for longer dry age it's a decent bet if you're located in a drier climate. the deep south, even in winter, doesn't work.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Okay, here's an update.

The dry-aging in the fridge for 3 days went well, as did the reverse sear. I did cut off the bones (for easier slicing when done ) and tied them back on to roast the meat.

I'm not entirely convinced that the results of the reverse sear was all that different than the Joy of Cooking method, which is the opposite.

And unless I did a side-by-side comparison between a dry-aged roast and straight out of the package roast (which will never happen unless I win the lottery), I would not be able to discern a difference in flavor and texture.

Bottom line is, prime rib is excellent pretty much any way you do it.

Lee
Dry-aged prime rib.JPG
Dry-aged prime rib with bones tied on.JPG
Prime rib and roasted bones.JPG
Prime rib sliced.JPG

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter

That looks mighty good Lee, bet it tasted even better.

Andy

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter

indeed looks like it went well! (g)
3-5 days does help a bit methinks. it firms up the meat but it's not so long that much else happens.
what's your opinion about cutting off the bone pre- vs post-roast? I've come to the thinking that it cooks better if it has not been cut off the ribs&tied back.
I was supposed to get a 12 day dry aged from the butcher; there was some confusion because when I opened it I could immediately tell it had no dry aging at all - very soft. "fresh" / wet aged takes a bit longer to cook... even after a ten minute rest I had copious amounts of clear juice on the cutting board - enough that I had to ring the board with a kitchen towel.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Wow Lee, that looks Great. Good job!!!!!!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

what's your opinion about cutting off the bone pre- vs post-roast? I've come to the thinking that it cooks better if it has not been cut off the ribs&tied back.

Well, it certainly made slicing the meat easier, and it was very easy to cut the bones apart for anyone who wanted one.

You may be right about cooking better with the bones intact, though, since the inner part of the bones was quite rare.

Having said that, though, I would do it again, since the payback was worth it.

Chowder, I hope you go back to your butcher and tell him of your disappointment! When stuff like that happens to me, I request a coupon or discount or gift card towards my next purchase. Geez!

Thanks for the cudos, everyone!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter

....made slicing the meat easier
I bring a boning knife in addition to my slicer & fork to the party - first and "in stages" as I slice along the length..... - I use the boning knife to cut the main chunk free from the bone.

before I picked up on that trick, I agree - slicing off a slab "still attached" was not a pretty sight...

want a giggle? somewhere a bunch of time back I read some (eediot) food blogger talking about how bones conduct heat better/faster/more something . . . and so measuring temperature too close to the bone would cause you to over cook. now, I've cooked a heap of stuff "bone in" and I have never ever seen close the bone more doner than further from the bone. welcome to the internet......

....talk to the butcher.... oh yeah. we're due for a conversation. this is a multi-generational family butcher shop - and the last one standing in the area - so I'm not gonna' bust his chops for a coupon - but I am gonna' talk about it. especially because last year I found my dry aged roast had been - contrary to my wishes&directions - cut from the bone(s) and tied....

once is an accident. repeats indicate a lack of quality control / customer service. at $134 a pop, they can afford to pay closer attention. they do have a system - it's scraps of paper recording what you want stuck on a pointy thing. how hard can it be for a computer to screw that up?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Update 2018: I was successful in finding a relatively lean roast this year. Dry aged only 48 hours (coulda used another day), cut off and retied bones, used the Joy of Cooking technique (preheat oven to 550 then reduce to 325 when meat goes in).

We were happy with it! Even the well done parts were wonderful.

Lee
beef 1.JPG
View attachment 29976View attachment 29976
beef 3.JPG
beef 4.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Thanks, folks!

Wish it was always $4.99/lb.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dry-Aged, Slow-

It was $4.99 a pound again this year.

I am going to take the important paragraph out of the Serious Eats article I posted above so everyone can see the simple way I'be been cooking these things. I aged this one for 4 days in the fridge.

Having a probe thermometer is essential.

Also, am going to change the title of this thread to make it more appropriate.

SO good!

Lee

Dry-Aged, Slow-Roasted Prime Rib (Serious Eats)

Buy a bone-in, prime-grade prime rib, preferably dry-aged (or age prime rib yourself). Season well with salt and pepper, and let it rest, uncovered, on a rack in the refrigerator for at least overnight and up to four days. Roast in a 200°F (93°C) oven until it hits 125°F (52°C) at the center (around four to five hours for an average rib roast; your mileage may vary). Remove from the oven, tent lightly with aluminum foil, and let it rest at least 30 minutes and up to one and a half hours. Ten minutes before serving, remove the foil and place it back into an oven preheated to its highest possible setting (500°F+, or 260°C). Roast until well browned and crisp, about 10 minutes. Carve and serve immediately.
Dry-aged prime rib.JPG
Prime rib sliced.JPG
Plated.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So, you use that info for future reference? Cool!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
yup. I cleaned it up for posting but I keep date, weight of roast/turkey on the sheet.
the do Move or Copy Sheet, Create Copy, paste it at the end, then a name change.

Johnny West

My prime rib was 12 bucks a pound. I saw them for a lot less at Walmart in Park City but know mine was locally grown. The prices at this Walmart are a lot higher than my local store but then it’s a ski resort town.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm doing this again this year, but after looking at all the photos I've posted in this thread so far, I'm not going to repeat them, LOL! It looks the same!

John, let us know if your beef was worth the price.

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm doing this again this year, but after looking at all the photos I've posted in this thread so far, I'm not going to repeat them, LOL! It looks the same!

Lee
Ahhh please post ones of this years efforts. Prime Rib will be the main dish here. I'll share pics but I doubt they beat your earlier pics.

Johnny West

Lee
Will do. I’ll take picture and when I’m home will figure out how to post them here.

I’m doing nothing fancy, just roasing with salt and pepper.

The beef came from St. Helen’s Meat and will google them. I know they supply a lot of local meat markets.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We are trying Steve Douchie's Recipe from the Happy in a Hurry cookbook. Will post more on it if it works out. :D

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OMG, Doc, that looks WONDERFUL!!! Perfect!

Great pics!

Lee

Reactions: Doc