Joev's Smothered Chicken

lilylove

Joe posted this in another thread... and I made it last night!! It is wonderful! Very much a comfort food!!! Thanks Joe. I'm re-posting your recipe here so everyone can see it. It's toooo good to be hidden in the middle of another thread.

Smothered Chicken:

Ingredients:

3-1/2# or larger whole chicken (quartered) (or you can use pieces of your choice)
1-1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
Salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, garlic powder & paprika.
Vegetable oil for frying
Homemade chicken gravy (see below) or 2 (12 oz) jars of roasted chicken gravy.

Directions:

In a 1-gallon plastic storage bag combine flour, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, garlic powder and paprika. Shake well to combine.

Quarter the chicken (or cut up into pieces, your choice) and toss in flour mixture, making sure chicken is well coated. Set chicken to the side.
In a straight-sided pan, heat 1/2inch of vegetable oil on medium high heat. Oil is ready when oil foams when some flour is dusted over oil.

Fry coated chicken until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes per side.

Remove chicken to a drain rack and pour off most of the oil from the pan (if using bottle gravy) except for about 4-5 T, being careful to leave the bits of flour and crispy pieces behind. If using bottle gravy, pour gravy into the pan and heat with medium heat, then skip the next step.

Gravy directions:

1/4Cup of all-purpose flour
2 (14 oz) cans of chicken stock
1 Cup diced onion
1/2Cup diced celery
1/2Cup diced bell pepper (any color)

Over medium high heat whisk flour into oil, combining all the remnants from the pan and scraping down the sides until you get a dark roux. Then toss in diced onions and stir until onions soften and start to darken, about 4-5 minutes. Add celery and bell pepper and stir for about 1 minute. Slowly pour in chicken stock, whisking constantly to combine. Adjust seasoning to taste, and simmer to slightly thicken.

Return chicken to pan and turn in gravy to coat all pieces. Cover tightly and allow to simmer for 10-20 minutes, or until chicken is completely done with no pink near the bone. Serve with choice of potato, tossed salad and vegetable of choice.

P1010554.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Yep, I told you it was a winner. We love it. Thanks for reposting so it's in the right place.