Donate to NCT PLEASE!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi all,
I need your all's help. I hope we can get some new site supporters as well as entice the current site supporters to renew their site supporter status. I would like to make October Site Supporter Month, and get everyone to renew in October or November of each year. So, yes, unfortunately, this will be an annual request for donations. I hate to do it, but it is required to keep the site running.

This past year was a rough one cost wise as VB over doubled their price for support and upgrades, and our ISP cost went up. Funds are short and I need to get an idea of where we stand heading into this new year. So please donate if you can.

Site Supporter: $20 a year ( 1.67 per month or .05 cents a day)

Super Site Supporter $50 a year. (4.17 per month or .14 cents a day.)

and our newest category:

GOLD Site Supporter $100 a year. (8.34 per month or .28 cents a day.)

You can be a GOLD Site Supporter for just a few cents over a quarter a day, I sure think NCT is worth that, don't you?

Donating is easy. You can simply go to your paypal account and select send money, and send it to: doc AT net cooking talk .com (replace the AT with a @ sign and remove all spaces)

You can also go into your usercp and near the bottom of the left hand column click on Paid Subscriptions from there you can select the amount and recurring or non recurring. recurring will automatically charge your paypal account on the same day each year and can be canceled at any time.

If you do not have a pay pal account or simply prefer to send a check please PM me for my address.

Gold Site Supporters and Super Site Supporters will receive a Net Cooking Talk window decal (while supplies last). See the decal here:
http://www.netcookingtalk.com/D1.html

Thanks in advance for your support and help with this. It is greatly appreciated. :clap: :clap: :clap: :tiphat:

Doc

K

Kimchee

Hey, how about an NCT COOK BOOK?
We could all contribute a few recipes, and I am sure there are places online where we could get them printed fairly cheaply...
I'd buy one!
Another forum I used to belong to did one a while back. Could be fun, if someone is
willing to be the Head Chef, so to speak...

K

Kimchee

hmmm... Paypal says there are errors in the setup for Site Supporter Recurring subscription $20....

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good idea Kimchee!!!!! Lets do just that.

I'll need someone to play head chef as Kimchee mentioned. You would put it all together in a word document or something similar before I would send it off for printing.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
hmmm... Paypal says there are errors in the setup for Site Supporter Recurring subscription $20....
I'm getting the error also and I don't know why. I'm looking into it and will advise when I think it is working.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Whoa! We are an online community, cannot the book be online?

Are you gonna do a 2 for 1 deal with the Supporter again?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I just re-upped in August I think? I think I did it near my B'Day so that I could defeat CRS next year......looks like that didn't work. :lol:

If October is going to be the re-up month, am I good till next October Doc, or do I owe ya' another two pro-rated months? :biggrin:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Whoa! We are an online community, cannot the book be online?

How would Doc sell an online book to make money to keep NCT going?

http://www.cookbookco.com/

That's the website the other place used.

What bothers me about that site is that they say price is based on “recipe” and not word count. Then they say the recipe (the how to) has to be “a paragraph”. Word Count is far more important when it comes to pricing the printing of a book, and it looks like they are imposing some serious restrictions on word count (1 paragraph).

In my books, the largest chapter is 40k words, the supplementary chapters are 12-15k words, average book length = 220k words. With proper layout, headers, callouts, screenshots, and placement, 2 Word pages equal one book page, but I don’t see it working that way with this company. It would be nice to get a serious commitment on word count allowed per “page” not including pics.

Even better, that company says they can take ready made formats and go straight to printing (meaning no layout or proofing required on their end). A full book could be done in Adobe Suite and submitted as a PDF for printing. I’ve got the full Adobe Suite, but nowhere near enough time for something this big. If someone has Adobe and is good at layout, it would be far cheaper to lay the cookbook out, with screens, in PDF and then work with the company for a straight to press contract.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, we already have the recipes online. I would love to use a book to help get the word out and get us more members + plus help pay the bills for running the site.

Thanks SS!!!!! You're hired!!! I will be shopping around for printing options. I have companies close by that I will check with plus I'll check out any you all point out to me. SS, please organize your thoughts on this and start a working thread for us to discuss and get this idea kicked off.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Doc, I use Lulu.com to handle my ecookbook. I created it, uploaded it to their site, set the price and then all I do is direct people to my "Store". They take it from there, handling credit card and paypal payments and the downloads. I've been using them for almost a year and haven't had any complaints. They send me a check to my Paypal account every month like clockwork for my portion of the revenue. I chose them because my ebook is HUGE with 245 pages and over 400 step-by-step pictures so I needed someone to handle it for me. They also do print-on-demand but that wasn't a practical choice for me since I have so many pictures, the price would be astronomical. If you aren't planning on a lot of pics, you can do the whole thing yourself. You can create the ebook yourself, set up a paypal payment button and as soon as people pay you can automatically direct them to the download page. That's what I do with my $1 ecookbooks.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Doc, I use Lulu.com to handle my ecookbook. I created it, uploaded it to their site, set the price and then all I do is direct people to my "Store". They take it from there, handling credit card and paypal payments and the downloads. I've been using them for almost a year and haven't had any complaints. They send me a check to my Paypal account every month like clockwork for my portion of the revenue. I chose them because my ebook is HUGE with 245 pages and over 400 step-by-step pictures so I needed someone to handle it for me. They also do print-on-demand but that wasn't a practical choice for me since I have so many pictures, the price would be astronomical. If you aren't planning on a lot of pics, you can do the whole thing yourself. You can create the ebook yourself, set up a paypal payment button and as soon as people pay you can automatically direct them to the download page. That's what I do with my $1 ecookbooks.

Fantastic idea Mama!! What did you lay your book out with Word, Adobe, other......:thumb:

My publisher is huge, and I asked them once what a book costs. It's crazy.....10,000 just to start, and that is 500 units (an extra couple hundred gets you European [UK, German, & French - Italian and Spanish are possible but cost more] translation and distribution). But, the layout and stock is phenomenal! Still.......I ain't going that deep for a cookbook! :lol:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Doc, I already have the software to create a cookbook. I'm using it myself. I have a couple hundred recipes already in it. Since I paid for it and own a proper license for it, I can just create a second cookbook and export it in a format that the printer can use.

The software also compiles nutrition info automatically, which is a very nice feature.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I just used Open Office Text and they converted it to Adobe when I uploaded it. It was pretty easy and it is, by far, the most profitable way to go. I get almost 70% of each sale.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I just used Open Office Text and they converted it to Adobe when I uploaded it. It was pretty easy and it is, by far, the most profitable way to go. I get almost 70% of each sale.

Excellent! We work in Word or Open Office as well. The layout gets converted it to a special in-house Excel format, then imported it to Adobe for layout. It's amazing how a Word doc can look in the end!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
If you want .PDF on the cheapm install CutePDF from www.cutepdf.com It installs in minutes, you select it right from the print menu (it looks like a printer to Windows). It makes you a PDF in a jiffy.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That's what Open Office does too, Andy. It will convert your doc to pdf with the touch of a button.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
If you want .PDF on the cheapm install CutePDF from www.cutepdf.com It installs in minutes, you select it right from the print menu (it looks like a printer to Windows). It makes you a PDF in a jiffy.

Converting to PDF is one thing, working in Adobe is another. Here is a sample page from one of our books. Notice the Watermark type background, the edge page markers, the use of headers, screen placement, etc. It’s a whole new animal.

But for a simple cookbook, yeah, a straight conversion, if it matched the printer's boundaries, would work. Nothing fancy, just straight page-to-print as we say.

Attachments

• by1.jpg
    by1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 47

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Mama - I use open office on one of my windows machines and my linux machines I love it.

Keltin, I am aware that there is no comparison. My needs are far less complicated. I write proposals, letter and invoices. I make PDF's to send them to customers and to put up for some very simple web pages.

The beauty of Cute PDF is that it installs as a windows printer and works with most any windows program. Saves a lot of paper for me.

Anyway, I'm off topic, sorry Doc.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Mama - I use open office on one of my windows machines and my linux machines I love it.

Keltin, I am aware that there is no comparison. My needs are far less complicated. I write proposals, letter and invoices. I make PDF's to send them to customers and to put up for some very simple web pages.

The beauty of Cute PDF is that it installs as a windows printer and works with most any windows program. Saves a lot of paper for me.

Anyway, I'm off topic, sorry Doc.

Sounds like an awesome program for simple distribution. Everyone has acrobat reader. If I didn't have the full Adobe Suite, I'd probably snag it! Thanks for the heads-up.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Andy, all Super Site Supporters and Gold Supporters can have the same status on one of my other forums, so indeed it is two for one.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
WOW! Lots of great info and ideas for our first NCT Cookbook!

Thanks for a great idea, Kimchee. And more thanks to Keltin, Mama, and Adillo for their recommendations.

I'm going to open a new thread for this, and I'll move the cookbook posts to it. That way we can leave Doc's original request for what he intended.

I look forward to everyone's continued help and advice!

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'm good on both here and FF right now as far as support goes, as I always keep up my membership without having to be reminded.

More dollahs will come as soon as the piggy bank gets too heavy..:heart: