My sausage stuffing is all done!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
All ready to stuff the bird on Thursday!

This is the best part of Thanksgiving!

Lee

Attachments

• Sausage stuffing.JPG
    Sausage stuffing.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 149

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
YUM! That looks really good Lee! :clap: I'm going to try a sausage, sage, apple and cranberry dressing this year. I LOVE both dressing and stuffing.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lee,
Have you shared that recipe here? My wife is planning to make sausage stuffing for the first time ever and is looking for a recipe.

TIA!!!!!!!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Um, no, probably not, Doc. I thought it was as common as toast.

Here's what I did (as my beloved stepmother, Gerry, did).

Lee

Sausage Stuffing

1 1/2 to 2 bags of seasoned bread cubes (I use Arnold)
2 rolls of Jimmy Dean bulk sausage
1 stick butter
2 small yellow onions, diced
8 or so celery stalks (I cut off all the wide ends, saving the thinner ends for stuffing with cream cheese for an appetizer) - sliced
Bell's Seasoning (or other poultry seasoning)
1 box chicken broth
black pepper

Open the rolls of Jimmy Dean sausage and cut it into chunks.

Brown the sausage in a big pot, stirring, but not breaking up the chunks too much. Remove the sausage to a bowl.

Melt the butter, then saute the onion and celery in it until it's all tender.

Add back the sausage. Add in the seasoned bread cubes.

Moisten it all, a little at a time, with the chicken broth. I used maybe 2/3 of a box to get it perfect.

Sprinkle in a LOT of Bell's seasoning, as you moisten. Moisten, sprinkle, stir.

Add in grinds of black pepper.

Best stuffing in the world! Hope I don't eat it all before Thanksgiving!

Ian M.

For sure my ignorance is going to show with a question like this but exactly what is the difference between stuffing and dressing? I've always thought they were one and the same. Lee, you make sausage stuffing the same way I always do. My mother always said one should never put stuffing in the bird but only make it on the side. Not sure just why she felt that way but I don't remember a "stuffed" bird ever as a kid. Frequently, she'd make chestnut stuffing, too, which I've also made and totally love. Oysters got a tad too dear to make oyster stuffing any more, unfortunately. That's mighty good eating, too.

Ian :chef:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Lee!!!!!!! :tiphat:

Ian, I also thought dressing and stuffing were the same, only difference being is that stuffing is cooked inside the turkey. But I am as far as one can get from a cook. Should be interesting to see what the pros have to say.

As an aside, my wife picked up some oysters to make oyster dressing too. Turkey day should be awesome!!!!!!!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I think "dressing" is "stuffing" that is not put in the bird. I do stuff the bird, since it tastes much better than the "stuffing" that gets cooked along the side.

As long as the stuffing temperature is 160, it's safe (though, to be honest, I have never taken the temperature of my stuffing).

I call it all "stuffing".

Lee

Abby

More coffee please
Super Site Supporter
Would it be totally wrong to slice fresh mushrooms and throw them into the mix too?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Would it be totally wrong to slice fresh mushrooms and throw them into the mix too?

Not at all, Abby! Nothing is "wrong" as long as you and your family like it!

For example, a couple of posters mentioned oyster stuffing: gives me the chills just thinking about it, but a lot of people love it!

Lee

Abby

More coffee please
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, QSis. For all of you youngsters out there who have Gramma's that are good cooks, watch and learn. I wish I would have paid more attention when my Gramma was making her stuffing/dressing. I don't remember her ever sauteeing the vegetables before mixing, but most of my sisters seem to.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on NetCookingTalk!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Please all, just do me one favor;

Please do NOT put the suffing in the turkey until you are ready to roast it!! It could very possibly spoil before it's done, and make everyone sick!!

Thanx.