turnips

Abby

More coffee please
Super Site Supporter
Our neighbor gave us a whole bag full of turnips and I don't know what to do with them. Any idea's? I've never had them before so I don't know what to expect them to taste like. Thanks!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here are a bunch of recipes on Food Networks site. I have done a couple but two I like a lot are Paula Dean's Turnip Mashed Potatoes and first one shown on this page the Braised Red Cabbage and Turnips as well as the Glazed Carrots and Turnips. I've also used them in with a pot roast for example.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=turnips&fnSearchType=recipe

Turnip are another of those great root vegetables like beats, potatoes, mustards, radishes, etc. The greens are also good with a taste similar to mustard greens as are most root vegetables. I might add they are also very good for you as well. Rutabaga is a yellow turnip also.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
in addition to those suggestions....

store in a dark cool place.

turnips and parsnips are wonderful components for stews - just did a beef stew with both yesterday.

turnips do not have a "strong self flavor" - mashed/pureed etc they have the texture and mouthfeel of potatoes - with twist on taste. you'll probably want to spark up the taste with herbs - parsley, celery, dill, chives, basil are all good - Mediterranean flavors also do well in moderation. I'm partial to tarragon in that class.

chowhound

Well when my post came up it was like looking in a mirror and seeing someone else.
And I can't seem to find where I hid my other one ;^)

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
How about you use a picture of you on a motorcycle, Chow? I seem to recall one that I think would be perfect!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Yeah, and that dog is wiggin me out--like it might bring on Cujo nightmares :chicken: .

chowhound

Cujo... great movie, better book.
And gee, I've been savin' bad dog, Cooksie (lol).

Ahh, to be young again, Terry...

Abby

More coffee please
Super Site Supporter
Thanks everyone for the links! I think I might use them when I make some potato soup this weekend.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I make them like my mother and grandmother used to. Slice in 1/4 inch whole round slices, simmer, covered, in water with a scoop of bacon drippings. Cook until tender. Mmmmmm good!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I make them like my mother and grandmother used to. Slice in 1/4 inch whole round slices, simmer, covered, in water with a scoop of bacon drippings. Cook until tender. Mmmmmm good!
that sure sounds better than potato soup to me. :hide: :yum:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
i cube and cook with potatoes then mash as usual. i love the flavor but family doesn't.

buckytom

Grill Master
i like white turnips (purple top) cubed in soups, or roasted with other root veggies under a chicken.

yellow turnips (rutabagas or swedes) are best mashed with loads of butter, salt, and pepper.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Well then simply lick him like a other dogs do and you know what Scotish haggis tastes like. :puke1::yum:

:yum: He's a Scottish Terrier, I thought it was fitting and NO I'm not going to lick my dog. How did we get from turnips to haggis?? lol

joec

Gold Site Supporter
:yum: He's a Scottish Terrier, I thought it was fitting and NO I'm not going to lick my dog. How did we get from turnips to haggis?? lol

Blame it on Miniman he started it with turnips as a side to haggis. :mrgreen:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
are you saying haggis tastes like butt? i have never tasted either one thank goodness!! and don't intend to!!

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Haggis doesn't taste like butt just like any other offal & oats mix stuffed in a stomach.

People tell me it is quite nice.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Haggis doesn't taste like butt just like any other offal & oats mix stuffed in a stomach.

People tell me it is quite nice.

Ok pre butt then, I've eaten it and hope to never taste it again or any thing from the UK. Love the place absolutely hated the food when I was there. I might add the only place in the whole world I ever got food poisoning too. London from Fish and Chips go figure their only good dish. :wink: