applepickingsept2009030.jpg

Cover
applepickingsept2009032.jpg

Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and then bake
applepickingsept2009033.jpg

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Beautiful, apple pie, VB. Now all you need is the Velvet brand Cinnamon Ice Cream.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Vera, I'm delighted that someone made a real apple pie before the season is over! It's absolutely beautiful. We can always count on you to come up with something good!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
To me, Silver...apple season is just starting! I wanted to get some apple sauce going, but dinner took priority over apple sauce tonight.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
What a pie! I'm going to send Bobby Flay over for an apple pie throw down :biggrin:.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
DAMN!

Uh, sorry......but WOW, that is one loaded pie. How beautiful and very awesome indeed! Good job to both of you! :clap:

Meme4251

Vera B, what a beautiful pie! Really enjoyed the pictures showing your step-by-step. I like that. Know it turned out delicious to...Have a good one, sh/Meme

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Vera, Lou looks mighty proud to be peeling those apples :D
Your pie is outstanding!
My God, do you NOT make anything that isn't perfection?
I love your house by the way. Everytime I see a pic of the inside or the outside, I just shake my head and think to myself you have got so much class, and such talent.. there should be a law against women like you haha!
;)

Abby

More coffee please
Super Site Supporter
Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I baked an apple pie this weekend. It looked BEAUTIFUL! When I go to slice the pie, I have a huge hollow space between the apples and the crust. Why? How can I prevent this? I do not make my own crust - I simply can't do it. The dough is Pillsbury and it was fresh. Someone told me if I use old dough that it will sometimes act that way. Help me somebody!

homecook

Abby, the trick my grandmother taught me was to saute the apples first. That way they won't shrink down much more when baked in the crust. You'll have to use more apples though to fill the crust up. Maybe 2-3 more than normal. I hope that helps........

buckytom

Grill Master
abby, like homey said, the apples are shrinking and settling a little, so it's bound to happen. make sure you really overload the apples and pack them in really tight to help reduce the puffing.

High Cheese

Saucier
So the top crust sets up first then the apples settle inside? I thought I heard steam from the apple can cause problems too, no?

I might try to make me one. :chef:

Abby

More coffee please
Super Site Supporter
Thanks all for the suggestions! Doc is going to get pretty tired of apple pies before it's all over! Or maybe I'll just stick to apple dumplings! :) :)

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
So the top crust sets up first then the apples settle inside? I thought I heard steam from the apple can cause problems too, no?

uhmmm, no. the crust will typically "set" in (near) exactly the shape it was "draped into" when the pie goes in the oven. the (fresh) apples then settle under it.

slits or no slits.

not an issue on my table. you cut a slice, the crust falls down, goes down the pie hole. nadda' problem.

if it's a problem, use whipped cream. covers a multitude of sins.

pre-cooking the apple filling works - sufficiently precooked to "canned filling state" there is no settlement.

if you want mushy apple pie middles, works great. personally if I'm going to go to the trouble, I want good tasting fresh apples and I'll live with the empty head space.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
A crumb topping eliminates the crust issue completely. It literally moves with the apples as they shrink.

homecook

uhmmm, no. the crust will typically "set" in (near) exactly the shape it was "draped into" when the pie goes in the oven. the (fresh) apples then settle under it.

slits or no slits.

not an issue on my table. you cut a slice, the crust falls down, goes down the pie hole. nadda' problem.

if it's a problem, use whipped cream. covers a multitude of sins.

pre-cooking the apple filling works - sufficiently precooked to "canned filling state" there is no settlement.

if you want mushy apple pie middles, works great. personally if I'm going to go to the trouble, I want good tasting fresh apples and I'll live with the empty head space.

I don't cook them to the "canned filling state". I just saute them a little to get them started cooking before they go in the crust. They still taste like the fresh apples you started with!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Apple pie is one of my favorite things but I say that about lots of desserts. lol

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Abby.... Lynne approves of this post ;)

Boo~yah!!

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2/3 cup shortening
2 tbsp butter, unsalted
5 - 6 tbps of water (approximately)
5 - 6 apples (4 - 5 granny smith; for the other 1 or 2, use the apple of your choice)
1 cup of sugar plus an extra pinch to sprinkle on top of pie
1 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2 strips of tin foil to cover the crust (about 1-1/2 inches wide)
About 2 tbsp of milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

The Bottom Crust

1. Blend shortening and butter together with a fork or wooden spoon.
2. Mix in the flour and a pinch of salt.
3. Add a tablespoon of water at a time. When you see that the dough is starting to come together, stop adding water.
4. Take the dough in your hands and work into a ball.
5. Refrigerate the dough in a bowl for 15 minutes, uncovered.

While you're waiting, peel the apples.

6. Take dough out of the fridge.
7. Wet your kitchen countertop with a sponge, lay down plastic wrap and flour it lightly. You can work directly on the counter but this makes for easier clean-up. Altenatively, you can lay parchment paper down which works great as well. The dough does not stick to it at all.
8. Take 1/2 of the dough and roll it out for the bottom crust. Add flour if rolling pin sticks to the dough. Roll from center out then from center back towards you NOT back and forth because it toughens the dough and may create holes.
9. Fold the dough and place it in the pie pan. Unfold it and readjust so it is centered in the pie pan.
10. Trim the dough about 1/2" around the pan.

The Filling

1. Slice the apples thin and place right into the pie pan. When you're done there should be a heap of apples higher than the pan.
2. Mix the sugar and cinnamon and spinkle over the entire apple surface.
3. Cut 2 tablespoons of butter into 4 pieces and place in different areas of the pie over the apples and sugar.

The Top Crust

1. Roll out the remaining dough for the top crust. Follow technique described above in bottom crust instructions.
2. Fold the rolled out dough in half, make three slits toward the center for air to release while it's baking.
3. Gently unfold onto top of pie.
4. Cut 1/2" away from from the edge of the top dough layer.
5. Take the edges of both the bottom and top crust and fold it under (above the rim not below) a little at the time. Then crimp the edge all the way around between your thumb and first finger.

The Love :flowers:
1. Cut a heart out of a piece of the leftover rolled out dough and place near the middle of the pie. Shows that you put just a little extra love into there.
2. Brush milk lightly over the top with a pastry brush or your fingers (not too much because it will burn).
3. Sprinkle lightly with sugar.

The Finishing Touch
1. Cover the edges of the crust with tinfoil to protect it from burning.
2. Bake for 50 minutes with tin foil on the crust. Bake a final 5 minutes with tin foil removed from crust.

Last edited: