I need a fancy name for this breakfast

SilverSage

Resident Crone
What suggestions do y'all have for naming this?

Here's the recipe:

Toast english muffins halves - 2 halves per person

Poach 1 egg for each english muffin half.

In a very large skillet, melt butter until hot, then saute chopped shallots & thickly sliced criminis -a handful for each person.
When the mushrooms are nicely browned, add two large handfuls of fresh spinach per person to the saute pan. Season with salt & pepper and toss until spinach is wilted and warm.

Assembly:

Lay 2 english muffins on each plate, cut side up. Top with spinach/mushroom mixture. Carefully place one poached egg on each muffin. Use a fine microplane to grate parmigiano reggiano over the top of each egg, and add fresh cracked black pepper.

Sorry about the lack of measurements - that's the way I cook. Next time I'll try to measure what I do and come back and edit this if anyone wants me to.

Attachments

• florentine benedict - Copy.jpg
    florentine benedict - Copy.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 570
  • florentine benedict (3) - Copy.jpg
    florentine benedict (3) - Copy.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 562

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I was thinking about eggs florentine but there's no sauce and there are crimini mushrooms so maybe "Eggs Florimini" or maybe "Eggs SilverSage"

buckytom

Grill Master
yeah, i thought about the mornay sauce. but not all dishes from florence have a sauce. in this case, the yolk becomes the sauce.

lol, i like florimini.

uovo e funghi florentino.

how about eggs verde e funghi?

Abby

More coffee please
Super Site Supporter
I agree; it looks yummy!! How 'bout: The Popeye Egg Muffin (playing up the spinach) or Mediterranean Eggs Florentine.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I liked
BuckyTom said:
how about eggs verde e fungh

But, then, why not take credit for your creation?
Mama said:
Eggs SilverSage

I wish I was smart enough to understand things like Bucky's reference to Florence and Mornay. I have so much to learn and you all are helping so much. Thank You for that.

Andy

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I wish I was smart enough to understand things like Bucky's reference to Florence and Mornay. I have so much to learn and you all are helping so much. Thank You for that.

Andy

No worries Adillo!

Have you ever heard of Eggs Benedict? It’s an English Muffin with ham, poached egg, and topped with a Hollandaise sauce. Hollandaise is basically emulsified butter, lemon juice, and egg yolks at its simplest.

Now, if you take Eggs Benedict and remove the Ham and add spinach instead, then change the Hollandaise sauce into a Monray sauce, you have Eggs Florentine.

A Monray sauce is just a Béchamel with cheese added. Béchamel may sound fancy, but have you ever had Biscuits and White Country gravy. That white gravy is a Béchamel (only thicker).......it’s milk added to a flour roux. Add cheese to that, and you have a Monray.

Check this page.

Starting with Eggs Benedict, you can make a number of changes to make a number of different dishes. Look midway down the page at the Variations. :thumb:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I heard of eggs bebedict. I actually made it once for DW including the Hollandaise, from scratch. I knew what I was not eggs Benedict, for the reasons thta you stated. I like the dish, because it seems an order of magnitude or two above Benedict in that it is healthier. I am hoping to give this a try this weekend.

I wasn't sure what makes somethig florentine or what a mornay sauce is. Lots of the fun is learning the termms and what is behind them.

Thank you for the info. Also, I haden't really thought about messing with baic eggs benedict. I don't know why not, I mess with everything else. I just had a whole door to new experaments opened. Breakfast is definately my fav meal.

Andy

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
breakfast is one of my favorites as well..

to our eggs benedict, we add extra fresh lemon juice than what the recipe calls for... i like the tang, then i add a little hot sauce and theres another set of flavors..lol

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I made it this morning. It was great and a big hit. I coulden't get criminis I had to use button mushrooms.