Medtran's Ramen Noodle Bowl

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Re: What have you eaten Sun. 7/21/ to Sat. 7/27/2019

Ramen noodle bowl with shrimp, Asian pork belly, baby bok choy, shiitakis, roasted red bell, green onions and cilantro garnish. The broth was the braising liquid for the pork belly, strained and defatted.

Attachments

• 2019-07-25 17.54.40.jpg
    2019-07-25 17.54.40.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 166

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Medtran, do you have a recipe for that beautiful Asian bowl or did you just make it up?

I would like to try it, omitting the shrimp (not a fan).

Peep, flat iron steak is one of my all-time favorites, and yours looks beautiful!

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter

Medtran, do you have a recipe for that beautiful Asian bowl or did you just make it up?

I would like to try it, omitting the shrimp (not a fan).

Lee

Made it up. But, the broth is from the recipe ?squirrel? Posted for braised pork belly, though I did put a couple of cloves in, which is what I think he omitted. The rest was shiitakes sauteed with just the tiniest bit of oil, salt and pepper, then after cooking a drizzle of sesame oil. Red bell was just roasted, skinned, cut in strips and tossed with a bit of salt and pepper. Bok choy steamed with salt in water. Thinly sliced green onions. I sliced the cooked cold pork belly into fairly thick chunks, browned them on both sides in a hot pan. I used the packaged ramen noodles and threw away the spice packets. The broth is very flavorful and doesn't need anything other than heating, besides the fact that something in those spice packs gives me horrendous headaches. BTW, the broth gells when cold. I did cook the ramen noodles in water with a little bit of broth, then drained. You don't want to cook the noodles in the soup broth because they will make it cloudy. Cilantro to garnish.

I cooked around a 3 lb piece of pork belly, then divided and used some for pork belly buns and froze the rest. Froze the rest of the broth too, there's enough left for another soup meal.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Made it up. But, the broth is from the recipe ?squirrel? Posted for braised pork belly, though I did put a couple of cloves in, which is what I think he omitted. The rest was shiitakes sauteed with just the tiniest bit of oil, salt and pepper, then after cooking a drizzle of sesame oil. Red bell was just roasted, skinned, cut in strips and tossed with a bit of salt and pepper. Bok choy steamed with salt in water. Thinly sliced green onions. I sliced the cooked cold pork belly into fairly thick chunks, browned them on both sides in a hot pan. I used the packaged ramen noodles and threw away the spice packets. The broth is very flavorful and doesn't need anything other than heating, besides the fact that something in those spice packs gives me horrendous headaches. BTW, the broth gells when cold. I did cook the ramen noodles in water with a little bit of broth, then drained. You don't want to cook the noodles in the soup broth because they will make it cloudy. Cilantro to garnish.

I cooked around a 3 lb piece of pork belly, then divided and used some for pork belly buns and froze the rest. Froze the rest of the broth too, there's enough left for another soup meal.

Hmmm, that's maybe a dish for a snowy day. Lots of steps, multiple pans.

Thank you for posting, Karen.

I think I'll start a thread for this, so I can find it again.

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter

Hmmm, that's maybe a dish for a snowy day. Lots of steps, multiple pans.

Thank you for posting, Karen.

I think I'll start a thread for this, so I can find it again.

Lee

Actually, I just used 2 pans, a saucepan and saute pan. Course the pork belly and broth had been cooked previously and frozen. I was thinking about starting a thread myself as we really liked this.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Here is the thread on braising the pork belly. I did use 2-3 cloves and also used the ginger that Squirrel added. I did only use 1 cinnamon stick as I'm sensitive to it. After it was cooked, I divided the pork belly, used part of it and froze the rest in portion packaging since there are just 2 of us. Placed the broth in the fridge overnight to let the fat rise and congeal. Removed and discarded the fat layer then portion froze the broth. There was no way I was discarding that broth, it was just too good. It gels by the way.

For 2-3 servings

2 packages ramen noodles, discard the spice packs.
Enough pork belly for 12 or so bite size chunks
4-6 shrimp
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 of a medium red bell pepper
10-12 shiitakes, thickly sliced
6 baby bok choy
cilantro for garnish, coarsely chopped
sesame oil
salt and pepper
vegetable oil
3 to 3-1/2 cups pork belly braising broth

I used a foil covered sheet pan to put everything on for easy clean up.

I always put hot water in the bowls while I am making soups like ramen noodle or pho so that the broth stays hot/warm longer. Just pour the water out right before serving.

We prefer peppers without skin in soups, so we charred and peeled the skin on the red bell. Reserve the other half for another use. Thinly slice the remaining half into bite-size length pieces, toss with salt and pepper.

Steam the bok choy in a medium saucepan using salted water. Set aside to drain on paper towels.

Place specified amount of water minus 1/2 cup or so per ramen noodle packaging in the saucepan. Use 1/2 cup of the broth plus a little salt. Bring to boil while you are cooking other ingredients.

Saute the shiitakes with just a tiny amount of oil, salt and pepper. Once done, place on paper towels to drain any excess liquid they may give off, then drizzle with a bit of sesame oil and toss with your fingers.

Salt and pepper shrimp. Wipe out saute pan, add a little oil and saute shrimp until just done. Remove from pan.

Wipe out pan, add a little more oil and brown pork belly chunks until warmed through and golden brown on all sides.

Meanwhile cook ramen noodles as directed on packaging, usually 2-3 minutes. Drain.

Rinse out saucepan, as there will be some residue from the noodles. Place your broth in it and bring to a boil. Taste for salt and pepper, it shouldn't need any, but you never know.

Place some noodles in the bowls, arrange all the ingredients in the bowls, then gently ladle some of the hot broth. Sprinkle some cilantro to garnish. Serve.

Last edited: