THE CAKE

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]In our family, we simply call this "THE CAKE" because we think that this is the best cake we ever ate. I put this recipe together many years ago, from a bunch of other recipes, so I think it is fairly unique. I decided to bake The Cake today, and thought perhaps the rest of you might enjoy having the recipe. It doesn't look very special from the outside, but it's very rich (takes two hands to get it out of the oven) and we love it. Amazingly, it is not terribly sweet, which is one of the things I like...[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]THE CAKE[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]3-4 cups fresh or frozen berries[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 cup sugar and 1/3 cup cornstarch[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]3 cups flour[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 cup sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 tsp baking soda[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 tsp baking powder[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]½ tsp salt[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 cup softened butter[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]1 and ½ cups sour cream[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]4 eggs[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]2 tsp vanilla[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Cook the sugar, berries and cornstarch on the stove until it is thick and cornstarch taste is gone - about 10 minutes. Set aside. [/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Put dry ingredients in mixer and stir together. Add butter and beat on low speed until it resembles fine crumbs.[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]

Beat the eggs and add the sour cream and vanilla. Pour that into the crumb mixture and mix briefly until blended.
[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]

For topping, melt 1/4 cup butter in saucepan. Remove from heat and add 3/4 cup sugar and scant cup flour, mixing until it resembles coarse crumbs.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]NOW PUT IT TOGETHER: Put 1/2 batter in greased and floured 13 X 9 inch pan (it will be thick). Spread the filling carefully over the batter. Add the rest of the batter and sprinkle the topping over it. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. It will not look done but it is. Make a pot of coffee or pour a glass of milk and enjoy.[/FONT]

Attachments

• THE CAKE 011.jpg
    THE CAKE 011.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 149
  • THE CAKE 015.jpg
    THE CAKE 015.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 152
K

Kimchee

I don't do a lot of scratch baking, but this will be perfect come next Mulberry season!
THANKS!
Love this kind of cake.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh WOW! That cake looks fantastic! I’m so going to have to try this! Thank you!

I take it I can use black berries?

Oh, and this recipe title “The Cake” reminded me of that old commercial I saw as a kid……I THINK it was a Sear’s or Penney’s catalog commercial. They always showed someone getting hit by…..THE BOOK!

That was the catch phrase….THE BOOK!

And then it hit you!! :lol:

Big black catalog that came flying out of nowhere.

I used to love those commercials…..odd though, I can’t find jack on the net about them. I know I didn’t dream them! :lol:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, mhend, Kimchee and Keltin...you can use any kind of fruit you want, as long as you have about three cups of it and cook it first. I've used apples, peaches, all kinds of berries. Today I used a mix of blueberries, raspberries and blackberries that I bought frozen at Costco, but blackberries alone would be great.

Uh, Keltin? I don't remember that commercial...anybody else? C'mon, help Keltin out here!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That looks scrumptious!!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmm
I can't wait to try it. :D :thumb:
Thanks Karen!!!!!!!!

mhend

Oh WOW! That cake looks fantastic! I’m so going to have to try this! Thank you!

I take it I can use black berries?

Oh, and this recipe title “The Cake” reminded me of that old commercial I saw as a kid……I THINK it was a Sear’s or Penney’s catalog commercial. They always showed someone getting hit by…..THE BOOK!

That was the catch phrase….THE BOOK!

And then it hit you!! :lol:

Big black catalog that came flying out of nowhere.

I used to love those commercials…..odd though, I can’t find jack on the net about them. I know I didn’t dream them! :lol:

I'm drawing a blank on this one.... :)

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Karen, I've had this printed out and sitting on my counter since you posted it. Tonight we're going to friends' for the evening, and I decided to take your CAKE.

Picked up blackberries at the grocery. Cake's in the oven as we speak. I followed your recipe as written; didn't change a thing. I can't wait to taste it!

I'll post later with the result.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 119

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
SS, I am so flattered! Be sure to let me know how it turns out. The blackberries are gorgeous.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
It was a hit! I am supposed to email 2 people the recipe tonight. I hope you don't mind. If you do, please tell me and I will 'forget' to do it.

The beauty of this cake is that it's not too sweet. The sweet/tart berries are the perfect foil. I think it would be a perfect morning cake.

It's definitely a keeper! Thanks, Karen. :clap:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh man! I missed this recipe, first time around!

Thanks for bumping it up and posting your success, SS!

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Silver Sage said:
I hope you don't mind. If you do, please tell me and I will 'forget' to do it.

I'd be most happy for you to share the recipe, SS. Thanks so much for your kind words - I'm glad you enjoyed it!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
It's so funny! I showed up with a tray of cake, and the talk started: "She brought a cake". They've all had my baked goods and whenever I bring something, you'd think some fancy pastry chef showed up. Things usually get ooo's and aaaah's, but I've never been asked for the recipe before!

I told them that it wasn't my recipe; that a friend had developed it and shared it. A couple people pushed for the recipe. Your cake has taken my reputation to a new level, Karen. Thank you. :respect: