Margies Ice Cream - Chicago IL

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
The best homemade ice cream and candies! Name a chocolate candy and they have it. You can even see them making it. The ice cream is smooth, creamy, and large portions. Many of them can be split between two people. Careful if you go there on your birthday! You get a big heaping serving of ice cream free all done up special for you!

waybomb

Umm, where's it at Chitown? I lived there until 1992 and never heard of this place.

We always went up to the Plush Horse off of Southwest Hwy and about 123rd or so in Palos. Until they stopped making their own and bought commercial. Then we had nowhere for homemade.

Speaking of Ice Cream. I worked in, at the time, the world's largest novelty ice cream factory back in the 90s. You can not believe how great unfrozen ice cream right out of the freezer. And we were encouraged to taste the ice cream constantly to make certain it was good.

Next time you go in to Margies - ask if they are currently making ice cream. If they are, whatever flavor, ask if you can have a cup of it before it goes into the blast freezer, right out of the ice cream freezer.

If that sounds confusing the ice cream freezer is a scraped surface heat exchanger, that forms the crystals and injects the air for over-run. It comes out paste like at this point, so it can be used to fill cups, 1/2 gallons, bigger containers, or used to make novelties (things on a stick or cones, like Drumsticks). This is before it gets blast frozen. It is by far much better than the hard ice cream. Even if served at the right temperature after blast freezing, it is not as good as right out of the freezer.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
It is at the intersection of Western and Grand, Margies Candies. We actually met her once, before she passed away.

We have been to the Plush Horse as well! I think a couple of summers ago, DW has a couple of clients down around Palos Park.

Next time we are at Margies, I will ask and see if I can get a taste before it goes in the blast freezer, thanks for the tip!

I didn't even know this, they have a web page.. jeesh! Here is the link:
http://www.margiescandies.nv.switchboard.com/

waybomb

My buddies liquor store is at Grand and Western. I never really looked around at what else was there! Danny brought us some very good heavily covered with chocolate strawberries from somewhere by his store - maybe he got them at Margies!