Fridge going bad or lack of use?

Derek

Banned
Hey gang, I have another problem?

I don't know why but the fridge seems to spoil my food fast if I don't use it.
I know at my folks home they have a side by by side fridge and they can keep things in there a hell of a lot longer then I can in my apartment fridge.

So what can I do? I want to keep foods in there for a while, and I'm going to need to use my cheese pretty soon or it;s going to go bad.
Ok About 2 months ago I purchased a $11 dollar bag of feta cheese and I was going to put some on my Jambalaya the first day I've made the stuff, Well when I took out the feta cheese it was all BLUE, So it became blue cheese. I've also had the same issue with Sour cream, I didn't even have that for more then a month.

Please help me me GANG.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Get a thermometer and check what temperature your fridge is at.
It should have a dial inside, turn that down until your fridge temp is less than 5 degreees celsiuis

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
You may be right, adjust it whichever way reduces the temperature - you may need to check the manual.

Derek

Banned
Here's a picture of what the thermostat is like, By the way I don't have a manal for this fridge since it was here since 1986.

512994517_Ghnus-L.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
5 degrees celsius is 42 degrees Fahrenheit ... sounds like you fridge just needs to be turned down so that it is cooler.... like has been said..lol

usually on a fridge 0 is warm 1 is colder etc etc

Derek

Banned
5 degrees celsius is 42 degrees Fahrenheit ... sounds like you fridge just needs to be turned down so that it is cooler.... like has been said..lol

usually on a fridge 0 is warm 1 is colder etc etc
Thanks Bam, but that doesn't sound right to me? Although I'm still a new bachelor and I'm still learning all this stuff.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
A thermometer is the only way to determine if the refrigerant is low or there is some other problem with the unit. I keep my fridge at 35F and can get some good life out of stored foods. Being an apartment fridge it may just be old and need a checkup from the fridge doctor and a little boost of refrigerant to cool it down. The landlord should take care of this at no cost if it is his/her fridge. Check your lease to see who is responsible for this.

Derek

Banned
Try 9....it says there on the left.....9 is the coldest. Try 9.
All ready at 9.

A thermometer is the only way to determine if the refrigerant is low or there is some other problem with the unit. I keep my fridge at 35F and can get some good life out of stored foods. Being an apartment fridge it may just be old and need a checkup from the fridge doctor and a little boost of refrigerant to cool it down. The landlord should take care of this at no cost if it is his/her fridge. Check your lease to see who is responsible for this.
The maintenance is are the people I need to call if I have a problem

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Get the thermostat.
Check the seals for leaks.
Clean the coils.
Most people don't realize they have to clean out the dust bunnies that grow under and behind their fridge. Dust acts as an insulator and does not allow for excess heat to escape from the coils. There is a brush that you can buy just for cleaning out the underside of the fridge. Check with your local hardware store to buy one. If you have a long hair pet, those hairs get sucked under the fridge and get caught in the dust. You would be amazed at the amount of accumulation there is under there.

Wart

Banned
So what can I do? I want to keep foods in there for a while, and I'm going to need to use my cheese pretty soon or it;s going to go bad.
Ok About 2 months ago I purchased a $11 dollar bag of feta cheese and I was going to put some on my Jambalaya the first day I've made the stuff, Well when I took out the feta cheese it was all BLUE, So it became blue cheese. I've also had the same issue with Sour cream, I didn't even have that for more then a month.

What's been said about thermometer and such. And you have ot keep the age of the fridge in mind, our last one was from the early '90s, the top shelf would freeze, the bottom shelf would be around 40 degrees. The newer units have fans and ducting to keep temps more even.

What I'm getting from your post is you may have unrealistic expectations of shelf life.

lilylove

I'm not sure about your fridg Derek...BUT

FETA cheese will last longer if you keep it in a salt water brine. Make some salt water and put your cheese and the water in a tupperware container, make sure it has a tight fitting lid. :)

FryBoy

A month for sour cream is a very, very long time, especially once it's been opened. A week is more realistic for an open carton of the stuff, in my experience.

According to the manual for my GE refrigerator, the food compartment should be kept at 37 degrees and the freezer at 0 degrees.