Eggs Goldenrod

chowhound

I got the basic recipe for this from an internet friend. She was helping me find a way to use up eggs and I love this recipe. It's so simple, too. It's probably one of those common recipes that I just never heard of. Here is my interpretation.

Have some hard cooked eggs on hand and separate the cooked white from the yolk. I use a dull paring knife and cut a slit around the egg. It will pop right apart. Chop the white and crumble the yolk, keeping separate.
I'd figure about 4-6 eggs is enough for the amount of this sauce and that should get you two nice servings.

Make a butter and flour roux over med heat. I use about 1/2 stick of butter and a couple big spoonfuls of AP flour (not quite 1/4c) added after the butter has melted. I don't let the roux get dark, so after it's bubbled awhile and the flour has been mixed in and disappeared, then I add about 1c of whole milk. I also season it at this point with salt and pepper.
*Penzzeys Smoked Spanish Paprika was added to the second pic's sauce, which accounts for the loss of whiteness in the sauce, but adds to the taste, which you can't see :lol:

Once the milk has come to a bubble and everything is thoroughly mixed and a nice consistency, turn down the heat and add the egg white solids to heat through.
*In the second pic you will see I also added some cubed cooked ham and cooked cut asparagus.

When everything is heated through to your liking, serve it over toast and add the crumbled yolk solids to the top.

Attachments

• eggs goldenrod.jpg
    eggs goldenrod.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 3-22 eggs goldenrod.jpg
    3-22 eggs goldenrod.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 143

chowhound

I'm sure you will make it prettier, Trish.
And it's the taste that counts anyway. That's why you don't see anything on my plate that can't be "et" (lol).

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'll bet some cheese and bacon added to it would be good too! Thanks for the recipe Fred!

chowhound

Thanks. And that sounds good, Mama. I should have put a slice of mozzarella on it from my sausage subs and stuck it under a flame.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of that recipe, either, Fred! I like your additions, too!

Did you eat it for breakfast?

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank Fred. Now I have B'fast for next weekend. I don't get a chance to cook during the week.

Andy

homecook

My mom used to make these for us during Lent for dinner. She just used cream of celery soup mixed with milk and added sliced hard boiled eggs. She called them "creamed eggs on toast". lol

This sounds and looks much better! I might make this tomorrow morning for my breakfast cuz I know dh and ds won't eat it. I'll add bacon to mine for sure! Thanks chow.

Tickle Me Elmo

Thanks for the reminder, chowhound. I came from a very large family and we always had tons of hard-boiled eggs left after Easter. Our mother took that opportunity to make a huge batch of eggs goldenrod. Most of the time she served it for breakfast, but when she wanted to serve it for lunch or supper she'd add drained canned peas and/or small chunks of ham. It was really good. A great childhood memory. I might have to make some with our leftover Easter eggs this year.