ISO something different for breakfast

GotGarlic

Hi. I'm looking for something different than the traditional American breakfast - DH doesn't like eggs, and we both could stand to reduce our fat intake, so I'm looking for other ideas for breakfast besides eggs, toast, bacon, sausage, pancakes/waffles, etc. As I said, DH doesn't like eggs any way he can ID them, so that means no quiche, frittata, etc., either. Any ideas?

homecook

I posted a recipe for Mushroom Rarebit . It's on the second page of this thread. It has no eggs. I'm not sure how low-cal it is.

Barb

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I like breakfast tacos, but I hate eggs, too. So I make either refried beans and shredded cheese or fried potatoes and chorizo in a flour tortilla.

Calicolady

What about a thick, stuffed french toast? It can be made savory with a mushroom/spinach ricotta mix with a gravy over it, or sweet with a strawberry, ricotta mix, with a light cognac sauce over it?
I've seen a commercial lately down here, that advertises an upscale living development that serves a brunch buffet with prime rib. OMG to die for! Also some shrimp type thing. I keep trying to catch it to see more detail.
Don't the english, or other europeans eat fish with breakfast too?
Where's Miniman?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I eat oatmeal most weekdays for breakfast or cold cereal like Cheerios. I like the all America breakfast on Saturdays and Sundays only. The other suggestions I doubt I could hold down for long such for breakfast such as refried beans and tacos. FM must have a stomach made of iron. :unsure:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Hey...you leave FM alone....she spends a lot of time on her knees...she can eat anything she wants.....oops, did I just say that out loud? :unsure:

Calicolady

Mama, this smiley's for you. LOL!
DidISayThat.gif

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OK, it's true that I have a cast iron stomach. I got it from years of eating my own cooking. But even so, breakfast tacos are good eatin'.

And thank you for taking up for me, Mama. (It sounds like you may have spent a little time on your knees, too.)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Hey...you leave FM alone....she spends a lot of time on her knees...she can eat anything she wants.....oops, did I just say that out loud? :unsure:

No I won't, especially after that comment. FM is one of the several woman of my dreams. :wub:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
OK, it's true that I have a cast iron stomach. I got it from years of eating my own cooking. But even so, breakfast tacos are good eatin'.

And thank you for taking up for me, Mama. (It sounds like you may have spent a little time on your knees, too.)

:ohmy::blush:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
No theme simply an easy attitude. In all honesty my only real requirement is the body still be warm, at least according to my wife. :unsure:

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
GG, here are a few ideas:

An old-fashioned Boston breakfast is fishcakes and baked beans. You could make them crabcakes, if you want.

NYC has lox, bagel and a schmear (low-fat, maybe?)

I, too, like the idea of Mexican - enchiladas, tacos, fajitas

Veggie and turkey sausage pizza or the one that Dee posted http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=47936&postcount=1

Fruity or savory crepes

Low fat-cheese Monte Cristo sandwiches

Cream chipped beef on toast

Lee

Last edited:

suziquzie

I've fallen in love lately with putting granola in yogurt.... not much of a hangin' out weekend breakfast but it's not bad and it's not eggs!

Deelady

Crumb Cake

3/4 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk or soured milk
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (any kind), optional
Combine butter, brown sugar, and flour, and work together until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup of mixture for topping. Beat baking soda into buttermilk or soured milk
and add to flour mixture along with egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir (do not beat) all ingredients together until batter is smooth. Pour into greased 9" x 13" cake pan.
Sprinkle reserved crumb topping over batter. If desired, nuts can be added to crumbs before sprinkling. Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes.

Deelady

Blueberry And Ricotta Bruschetta

1 slice sprouted wheat or multigrain bread
2 teaspoons wild blueberry fruit spread
1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon dried blueberries
1 heaping teaspoon toasted sliced almonds

Grill or toast the bread. Cover the bread with the fruit spread. Top with the cheese, dried blueberries, and almonds.
Serve immediately,

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
A popular breakfast item here is menudo, especially on Sunday mornings, because it is reputed to cure a hangover. Lots of little menudo stands around the neighborhood on Sundays. I have yet to avail myself and probably never will. My favorite breakfast lately has been a stack of whole wheat crackers with thinly sliced Manchego cheese. Quick, easy, portable and filling.

buckytom

Grill Master
i just called my mom the other day for her recipe for lop scaus. it's a norwegian/north sea dish, consisting of a mushy corned beef hash (leftover shredded corned beef, partially mashed potatoes, and chopped boiled onions mushed together) topped with smoked fish and a fried egg.

Last edited: