1 onion, thinly sliced
2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp fresh tarragon
1 tbsp fresh basil or parsley
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Arrange tomato and onion slices on deep platter. Mix remaining ingredients to make dressing and pour over tomatoes and onions. Let stand at room temperature about 15 minutes before serving.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
There are lots of tomato salad recipes on this forum, but I'm bumping up one of them (Jim's, which looks great!) and hoping Johnny West will see it.

Johnny, how do you make your Cherry Tomato Salad?

Lee

Johnny West

There are lots of tomato salad recipes on this forum, but I'm bumping up one of them (Jim's, which looks great!) and hoping Johnny West will see it.

Lee

Lee, This is an all recipe recipe I googled - it's the first year I can remember that my cherry tomatoes have done well. Usually I pay $5 a box at T-Boys!

4 cups halved cherry tomatoes (that's a lot!)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used olive oil.)
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar

In a small bowl or cup measure, mix together oil, apple cider vinegar, herbs, salt, and sugar.
Pour dressing over cherry tomatoes in a serving dish, and gently stir to coat. Chill for at least 2 hours. Gently stir from bottom to top, coating all tomatoes, before serving.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I will make that with my grape tomatoes, but I'm adding thinly sliced Vidalia and using fresh herbs from my garden.

Thanks, Johnny!

Lee

Johnny West

Okay, I will make that with my grape tomatoes, but I'm adding thinly sliced Vidalia and using fresh herbs from my garden.

Thanks, Johnny!

Lee

Fresh herbs iare always best. I love Vidalia's but right now the Walla Walla Sweets are on and the folks out here in the NW are proud of them.

Johnny West

It's on the menu for the weekend. I have a lot of cherry tomatoes - was just at T-Boys and a pint box of cherry tomatoes is $5 so my three cherry tomato plants have already payed for themselves.

Johnny West

I got some smoked gouda at the commissary yesterday and will have the tomato salade with dinner tomorrow night. Tonight is chili dogs for the Seahawk's game.

Here is last night's dinner salade, a chalupa with tortilla, refried beans, romaine, black olives, onions, chicken, avocado, a whole tomato, topped with Catalina and fresh ground black pepper. I'm :sorry: for the poor picture quality.

IMG_6089.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter

Lee

Lee, thanks for bringing this one back to the top! :tiphat:

Jim

Leni

Here is a recipe that I make during tomato season. It's really good.

Leni's Tomato Pie

SERVES 8
4 tomatoes – peeled and sliced
salt
10 fresh basil leaves – chopped
1/2 cup, green onions (scallions) – chopped
1 (9-inch) pre-baked deep-dish pie shell
1 cup, grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup, grated cheddar cheese
1 cup, mayonnaise
salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)
Preheat the oven to 350-degrees. Place the sliced tomatoes in a colander in single layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow the slices to drain for 10 minutes. Gently pat the drained slices with paper towels to absorb moisture. Layer the tomato slices, basil and chopped green onion in the baked pie shell. Season with salt and pepper.
Combine the grated mozzarella and cheddar cheeses and blend in the mayonnaise. Spread this mixture over the top of the tomatoes.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow the pie to rest 10-15 minutes before cutting into wedges (so the pie wedges will hold their shape). Serve warm.

Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
All these recipes look wonderful!

Leni, I just added a title to your tomato pie recipe.

Lee

Leni

Actually this is from another website that I go to. It is Betty's Tomato pie. Go to www.melindalee.com and key in tomato pie in the search box.
There are two other versions there.

Johnny West

This is my salade from a few nights ago.
The cherry tomatoes are from my garden
box and the best I've had. The plants came
from the CSA this spring.

IMG_6085.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Johnny West

Here's last night's tomato salade with caprese.
It was excellent and more leftover for tonight.

Of, course this is Luckytrim's gouda tomato salade. I added walla walla sweet onions.

IMG_6141.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_6159.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made Jim's salad (at the top) last night and added chunked English cuke. Should have taken a photo!

Delicous and simple!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
My family's tomato salad is simple: chunks of vine tomatoes, fresh garlic (sliced, chopped or just smashed), lots of fresh torn basil leaves, ice cubes (or a bit of water), olive oil, salt and pepper.