Lee's Oven "Fried" Rice

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've posted a variation of this recipe elsewhere, but I like this version better.

Plus, I took pictures tonight. :D

I had a few leftover pork chunks in Ah-So sauce to use, and they were perfect!

This stuff is very versatile. And addicting!

The photos are of the mix before baking, then after baking, then plated with the scrambled eggs and green onions.

Lee

Lee’s Oven-Fried Rice

3 small onions, roughly chopped (or one very large onion)
2 cups fresh bean sprouts
1 tsp brown sugar
1 small can chicken broth (14 oz)
2 cups UNCOOKED rice
¼ cup soy sauce

Garnishes:
Green onions
Scrambled eggs

Optional: cooked cubed pork or chicken, shrimp, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots

Mix together all ingredients with the rice (do not pre-cook any ingredients, except for meats, if used) in a 13 x 9 inch pan. Cover with foil and cook for one hour at 350, stirring every 15 minutes.

Mix in scrambled eggs and top with green onions just before serving.

Attachments

• Oven Fried Rice 1.JPG
    Oven Fried Rice 1.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 508
  • Oven Fried Rice 2.JPG
    Oven Fried Rice 2.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 535
  • Oven Fried Rice 3.JPG
    Oven Fried Rice 3.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 503

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh my Lee...that looks delicious and sooo easy! Thanks for sharing this! I may try it this week and add some shrimp when it's done. One question though....should that be 1 cup of uncooked rice to 14 oz of chicken broth or is it 2 cups?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mama, it's 2 cups of uncooked rice to one 14 oz. can of broth. I know, weird, huh? Plus the 1/4 cup of soy sauce. Comes out great and makes a LOT!

One more thing I forgot to add: spray the cooking pan with Pam before putting the stuff in.

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
OH MY that looks fantastic Lee!! Where did you get the pork with the red on the outside? It looks just like the pork in chinese take-out.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OH MY that looks fantastic Lee!! Where did you get the pork with the red on the outside? It looks just like the pork in chinese take-out.

Peep, a friend cut up some big country style ribs into pork tip-sized chunks, tossed them with some Ah-So sauce, and roasted them.

She gave me some chunks to try, since I always make my own Char-Sui barbecue sauce. http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31704&postcount=3

Ah-So sauce makes meats look and taste like the ones you get in Chinese restaurants (as does Char Sui) and easy - all you have to do is open a jar! The sauce has been around for a long time (as you can tell by the politically incorrect name!), but I've never tried it.

I've got it on my shopping list, though!

Lee

Attachments

• Ah-so sauce.jpg
    Ah-so sauce.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 198

Guts

Lee very nice this looks like something that I would really enjoy as I'm a big Rice eater. I got a copy and on my two try last. Thanks.

Kim

Guts

peeps I was making a cashew chicken and wanted it to come out like the restaurant that I once enjoyed which the chicken was red in color. I tried everything from cherry juice, Oriental five spice seasoning and a lot of others but I could not get the red color that I wanted. I ended up using some red food coloring and I got the presentation that I was looking for. I also use orange food color when I do my orange chicken(second photo.) It just seems that the presentation of the dish is enhanced when it looks colorful.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 164
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 160

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peep, a friend cut up some big country style ribs into pork tip-sized chunks, tossed them with some Ah-So sauce, and roasted them.

She gave me some chunks to try, since I always make my own Char-Sui barbecue sauce. http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31704&postcount=3

Ah-So sauce makes meats look and taste like the ones you get in Chinese restaurants (as does Char Sui) and easy - all you have to do is open a jar! The sauce has been around for a long time (as you can tell by the politically incorrect name!), but I've never tried it.

I've got it on my shopping list, though!

Lee
LOL I was thinking the same thing when I saw the name on the bottle. It reminded me of McHale's Navy and Bonanza TV shows for some reason. LOL

Thank you for the bottle pic and the recipe link. HARD question - Which TASTES more authentic in flavor - botttle or recipe?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
peeps I was making a cashew chicken and wanted it to come out like the restaurant that I once enjoyed which the chicken was red in color. I tried everything from cherry juice, Oriental five spice seasoning and a lot of others but I could not get the red color that I wanted. I ended up using some red food coloring and I got the presentation that I was looking for. I also use orange food color when I do my orange chicken(second photo.) It just seems that the presentation of the dish is enhanced when it looks colorful.
Thank you for the tips. The pictures are beautiful. I use yellow and red food coloring in my sweet and sour sauce. And you are right about the nice colorful presentation.