How do you like your Omlettes?

PanchoHambre

well the one I am eating now is a rather uninspired product of necessity... but two of my Fav's are

The "Greek" omlette with Feta and Spinach

or the more Italian Style Sausage and Peppers with Mozzarella

how do you stuff the suckers....

also do you like em dry or runny...

personally I go for dry runny eggs gross me out

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I like mine in a plastic bag.

Insert ingredients in bag.
Seal
Mix.
Boil water.
Put bag in water for exactly 13 minutes.
Extract.
Empty bag contents onto plate.
Eat.

Omeletinabag.jpg

buckytom

Grill Master
buzz, that's a sous vide omelette!

my buddy ozzy just turned me on to his favourite omelette: shallot and tomato with lump crab. yum. i think i'll make this one sunday.

just sautee a minced shallot in butter, them add to the eggs with a coupla tbsps of lump crab and a chopped, seeded tomato. fold and serve.

dw likes a 3 eggwhite omelette, with sliced white mushrooms. diced buttered onions, and chopped fresh tomatoes.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter

my buddy ozzy just turned me on to his favourite omelette: shallot and tomato with lump crab. yum. i think i'll make this one sunday.

just sautee a minced shallot in butter, them add to the eggs with a coupla tbsps of lump crab and a chopped, seeded tomato. fold and serve.

dw likes a 3 eggwhite omelette, with sliced white mushrooms. diced buttered onions, and chopped fresh tomatoes.

Whoa. Sounds delicious. I'm gonna do it tomorrow. My wife and I bought some HUGE king crab legs at Sam's yesterday.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Cheese, some sort of meat, ham, sausage, chorizo, mushrooms, I still have some experimenting to do with these... oh, and some jalapeno to!!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I like mine pretty much like the typical western omelet, green pepper, onions and ham or bacon. My wife wants hers a bit more fired up with several kinds of chili peppers in addition to what I have and smothered in Louisiana hot sauce better known as Crystal.

PanchoHambre

I like mine pretty much like the typical western omelet, green pepper, onions and ham or bacon. My wife wants hers a bit more fired up with several kinds of chili peppers in addition to what I have and smothered in Louisiana hot sauce better known as Crystal.

Crystal is good stuff... dont see it around here much

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I prefer all my eggs to be wet, regardless how they are prepared.

My favourite omelet is filled with sauteed mushrooms and goat cheese.

buckytom

Grill Master
i made a new family favourite this past sunday, scrounging through the fridge.

i browned some minced shallots in bacon grease, and beat 4 eggs with a litlle milk. in a buttered pan, as the eggs set on the bottom but were still wet on top, i added the shallots and some jarlsberg swiss, then folded it over.

yum. :thumb: the three ingredients complimented each other with overpowering any one of them.

AllenOK

I'm fairly open to omelette fixings. But, my omelettes must contain onions, mushrooms, ham, cheese of some kind, and salsa over the top.

Galvatron

ham mushroom Smokey bacon garlic onion.....topped with cheese and grilled so the cheese is bubbling on top.:thumb:

Newnork1978

Holy cow! I had wanted breakfast for dinner, tonight, but I was willing to settle for eggs over-medium...now I'm leaning more toward omelets. Nom Nom! :mrgreen:

PS: I love the omelet in a bag idea...very clever and looks easy to do. :a1:

I can't stand runny eggs in any way, shape, or form. Thus my omelets - & any other egg creations - are always cooked "well done". In fact, when I order eggs in a restaurant, the instructions to the waitress are always for the eggs to be cooked "like hockey pucks" - lol!!

That said, I love cheese omelets of any type (plain cheese, ham & cheese, bacon & cheese), "Spanish" omelets (tomato sauce &/or salsa, or diced tomatoes with peppers, onions, & cheese), "Western" omelets (diced onion, peppers, ham, & cheese), "Greek" omelets (spinach & feta), etc. Another good posh one when I have some salmon caviar on hand is a Smoked Salmon, Caviar, & Sour Cream omelet.

buckytom

Grill Master

this makes me sad seeing it again. i thought there'd be plenty of time to make ozzy's crab omelette with him.

homecook

this makes me sad seeing it again. i thought there'd be plenty of time to make ozzy's crab omelette with him.

I just made this about a week ago...........a crab omelette is awesome.....make it BT!!

I have alot of meals that my mom used to make that I couldn't fathom making again but when you do............the "good" memories carry you through. For instance my birthday dinner. My mom always made it for me until she no longer could.........I make it for myself now and she's there with me, telling me what to do.........lol

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 199

phreak

I hate it when restaurants mix the eggs and meat/veggies all together. A true omlette HAS to have the egg "wrap" with meat/veggies/cheese as a stuffing. Mixing it all together is a sure sign the cooks don't know what they are doing/don't take pride in what they're doing. That being said my standard hangover favorite is swiss cheese, corned beef hash, onions and green peppers.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Mixing it all together is a sure sign the cooks don't know what they are doing/don't take pride in what they're doing.
It's also a sign that your omlette arrived at the restaurant as a pre-packaged, ready-to-cook serving in a plastic bag.

I hate it when restaurants mix the eggs and meat/veggies all together. A true omlette HAS to have the egg "wrap" with meat/veggies/cheese as a stuffing. Mixing it all together is a sure sign the cooks don't know what they are doing/don't take pride in what they're doing.

Since most everything having to do with food & cooking is a matter of personal taste, I don't agree with these statements. Very little having to do with food "HAS" to be done a certain way or no way.

My favorite way of making my Western omelettes involves sauteing the diced peppers & onions in a little butter, adding in the diced ham, & then the beaten egg. The only "filling" involved is the cheese, which is sprinkled on top of the omelette & allowed to melt before the omelette is rolled out onto the plate. I make a number of different omelettes this way & certainly don't consider myself as "not knowing what I'm doing" &/or "not taking pride in what I'm doing"!

Lefty

Yank
I like to make my omlette with Genoa salami, danish ham, red onion, garlic, tomato, bell peppers and provolone cheese. It has a very italian taste to it. My second favorite has many different types of suated mushroom bacon and cheese.

With my first choice (being I am a p i g hog) I make it frattata (sp) style so I can have more stuff in it with out having to flip it.

For those that don't know a frittata(sp) is started on the stove and finished in the oven. Kinda looks like a pizza.

Newnork1978

Personally, I don't mind if the ingredients are mixed in, or folded in...I guess it all depends on the ingredients used, and how everything was prepared. If you need to saute the veggies, for instance, I'd prefer them to be folded in so their flavor can shine. Otherwise, mixed-in is just fine by me. :thumb:

AllenOK

I hate it when restaurants mix the eggs and meat/veggies all together. A true omlette HAS to have the egg "wrap" with meat/veggies/cheese as a stuffing. Mixing it all together is a sure sign the cooks don't know what they are doing/don't take pride in what they're doing. That being said my standard hangover favorite is swiss cheese, corned beef hash, onions and green peppers.

First, I will admit, to each their own.

However, I was taught by a French Chef how to make omelettes in Culinary school, and we ALWAYS sauteed ingredients, then mixed the eggs in. The only things that were "rolled in" were the cheese.

Every restaurant I've worked in, we mixed the goodies with the eggs. It also saves time and pans. If you have to saute the goodies separate of the omelette, you need two pans (or one really big flat top). In a busy breakfast/brunch place, that means you're going through pans left and right, and might just run out before they get cleaned.

Now, I've never been to France, so I can't comment on how they make their omelettes over there.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I love omelets in theory, but I'm just not a big scrambled egg fan. When I do make them I like onions, bacon, and Feta cheese. I like a good steak omelet too...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I never had a egg I didn't like from soft boiled to fried. I could eat a dozen without blinking but tend to stop myself after 2.

buckytom

Grill Master
lol lefty, i thought that too. i've seen him do that a lot on his "fast food my way" series. i'm hoping it's some special french indestructable non-stick stuff.

reminds me of when an ex-gf made me dinner in my apartment once. i thought she used a lot of black pepper in the mashed spuds until i saw the old electric mixer with steel beaters sitting in my non-stick pot; the one she used to boil and "whip" the potatoes. :ohmy:
i must have had a teflon movement the next morning.

lol, getting back to jacques and omelettes: if you get a chance to catch his "fast food my way", he has an episode devoted to omelettes. he makes a small curd, classic parisian omelette, and a large curd, country style.

man, i want eggs.

Wart

Banned
I like my omelets with whatever is on hand.

Two eggs and a bit of water (1TB/egg?) and a sprinkle of Kosher, garlic granules if out of fresh or being lazy. Mix them up and put them on a flat iron.

The fixens are onions, mushrooms, pepperoni, lunch meat, .. capers ... cactus ... sometimes sautéed, sometimes not, Cheese. Whatevers handy.

Fixens go on the egg when the eggs are partially cooked, cooked just a bit longer and then folded. I let carry over finish the cooking.

Picky I'm not except for the eggs, I don't like them dry.