True Confessions: I Like American Cheese

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I love grilled cheese made with it too Lefty, 2 slices. lol
Sometimes I put some caramelized onion between before grilling :)

buckytom

Grill Master
How did that happen anyway? I never even heard of Lactose intolerance until I was well into my 30's. Same with nut allergies!!

umm, wait a minute. you're allegic to nuts?

nuts?

how can you stand yourself?????

:tongue::tongue::tongue:

doug and everyone, chuck a slice or two of 'merican cheese into mashed potatoes. mmmmmmm, cheesey mashed.

is there a better melting cheese than american?

chowhound

I just had two cheeseburgers for lunch and in honor of this thread I put an extra slice of American cheese on each. :punk:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Is it just me, or does this thread make you want to salute our flag? When I read about Chow's extra slices of American, it sounded so patriotic to me.

chowhound

So who here has ever eaten white American cheese? Not me. I only buy yellow and it's the only color I've ever had. I couldn't even tell you the difference other than color.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
So who here has ever eaten white American cheese? Not me. I only buy yellow and it's the only color I've ever had. I couldn't even tell you the difference other than color.
I'm ashamed to admit I buy the white version. It comes in a 5 lb. "loaf" at Sam's. It seems a little mellower in flavor to me. But it's still American, right? It says American on the package.

buckytom

Grill Master
right above "made in china".

we eat white 'merican occasionally. it tastes and melts the same as the yellow stuff.

chowhound

So it's an aesthetics thing? Like maybe it's "prettier" to use white instead of yellow on a turkey sandwich?

FryBoy

So it's an aesthetics thing? Like maybe it's "prettier" to use white instead of yellow on a turkey sandwich?
The yellow/orange color of American or Cheddar Cheese is added. The natural color of the cheese is white to pale yellow.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I love American cheese! Melted on burgers on the grill, grilled cheese (love the idea of carmelized onions on that by the way!), wrapped around a hot dog wrapped in bacon, or just by itself as a snack!
I do love the more gourmet cheeses, but there is something about the more moist cheese slices that I love. I would love Velveeta if it wasn't for the fact that it is so salty.

GotGarlic

LOL! OK, I get the picture now. I was once asked why I would serve my family crap in a box (MidEast brand rice pilaf) and it was suggested that I must be too lazy to make a real rice pilaf.

I would just say that once you know how to make rice pilaf, making it from plain rice is almost as simple as from the box, and you can flavor it however you want. And it costs a lot less, which may be an issue for some people.

My guilty secret is pink wine from a box. We were early adopters of this fine technology, and now, even the French do it :lol: Keeping the wine away from the air prevents oxidation, so it lasts a lot longer.

DH loves American cheese on his burgers; I'm not a cheeseburger person (lots of mustard and pickles on mine, please), but we usually have it in the fridge.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I would just say that once you know how to make rice pilaf, making it from plain rice is almost as simple as from the box, and you can flavor it however you want. And it costs a lot less, which may be an issue for some people.
LOL! That's actually what I was asking at the time - did anyone have a recipe for the spice mix seasoning that comes in the box. That stuff is expensive, but my family loves it.

I'm fairly new to real cooking and I don't think I will ever have a palate like good cooks do, so I can't figure out the spices. I know it has orzo in the rice - no problem there. But the spice mix has tumeric and garlic powder, I think, and I can't figure out what else. (I tried, once again, last night to make a reasonable facsimile, but it wasn't right.)

I keep searching the net for a copy-cat recipe. sigh

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
WTH???

What IS this thread?!?!?!

American Cheese SLICES.

Kraft Mac-n-Cheese?

Pilaf in a box?

Green Can cheese powder?

What’s next….Hamburger Helper or Cream of Mushroom Soup in a can?

Heaven forbid anyone here uses those McCormick Spice Grinders!!!! :w00t:

PEOPLE! Julia would roll over in her grave!!

:yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

LMAO! I’m loving this thread! I can imagine some visitors from some other darker place stumbling onto this and passing flat out at the keyboard! This is great! :lol:

I love America Cheese slices. Great on burgers, grilled cheese, folded up as a snack, melted on Ritz crackers, melted on corn chips with jalapeno slices, etc….such good stuff.

Kraft Mac-n-Cheese, yep!

Pilaf in a box? And then some. There are several Rice-A-Roni dishes that are good. And several boxed noodle dishes that we love (like Angel hair with Olive Oil and Herbs.

Couldn’t live without my Green Can cheese!

And I’ll go a step further….yeah, on occasion, we do make hamburger, tuna, or even chicken helper. And Cream of Mushroom soup.

And I LOVE my McCormick Spice grinders!! Man, I said that elsewhere and WHEW, what a storm that caused!

I figure it’s this way – it’s your money, your time, and your taste buds. If you like it, if it’s convenient to you, and it doesn’t kill you, then you should eat and do what you want. To heck with the Food Snobs and Food Police.

For some strange reason, I just want to say Umami a few times as I meander philosophically about Cast Iron Tea Pots!! LMAO!!!! :lol:

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
umm, wait a minute. you're allegic to nuts?

nuts?

how can you stand yourself?????

:tongue::tongue::tongue:

doug and everyone, chuck a slice or two of 'merican cheese into mashed potatoes. mmmmmmm, cheesey mashed.

is there a better melting cheese than american?
Bucky, if you are not slathered with grapy jelly and squished between two slices of Wonderbread, no one is going to be allergic to you.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
LOL! That's actually what I was asking at the time - did anyone have a recipe for the spice mix seasoning that comes in the box. That stuff is expensive, but my family loves it.

I'm fairly new to real cooking and I don't think I will ever have a palate like good cooks do, so I can't figure out the spices. I know it has orzo in the rice - no problem there. But the spice mix has tumeric and garlic powder, I think, and I can't figure out what else. (I tried, once again, last night to make a reasonable facsimile, but it wasn't right.)

I keep searching the net for a copy-cat recipe. sigh

I have found powdered chicken/beef broth (some call it soup base) in the bulk section of the grocery store - that could be your foundation. Mix it with garlic and onion powder, throw in some dehydrated parsley and there you go! lol

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OMG - I've seen the soup base! That could be it! What would you suggest as amounts of garlic, onion and parsley to start with? I know - I seem like an idiot. But really, I am at a total loss when it comes to seasoning. And thank you, thank you, rickismom! My family would be thrilled if I could make this!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is a trick with seasoning FM, add a bit and taste it in other words add to taste like salt and pepper.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Here is a trick with seasoning FM, add a bit and taste it in other words add to taste like salt and pepper.
LOL! Think Dawn, before your grandmother got hold of her! Now I'm really ashamed to admit this, but I just started using salt and pepper very recently and only in the amounts specified by a recipe. I am baffled by "season to taste" or "adjust seasonings". How am I supposed to know what it's supposed to taste like?