True Confessions: I Like American Cheese

FryBoy

Oh, the shame! I consider myself to be somewhat of a connoisseur of cheese. Give me a slab of Brie, Gorgonzola, Cheddar, Stilton, Maytag Blue, even a chunk of Parmesan, some good crackers or bread, and I'm in heaven.

We ate American Cheese, as well as Velveeta (is that technically cheese?) when I was a kid because my parents weren't exactly rich. Ate it in college too, when we were first married, and for a time after we bought our first house. As things got better, we turned up our noses at American Cheese, which by then was known in our house as "dog cheese" because it was primarily a treat for Charlie the Cockapoo. After Charlie went to the Big Doghouse in the Sky, we stopped buying it entirely.

Recently, however, we bought some good old Kraft American Singles for the grandkids, either for cheeseburgers or grilled cheese sandwiches. What do they know? Sydney is only 4 and Ben is 5 (excuse me -- he's 5½).

By god, that stuff, whatever it's made from, is GOOD on burgers, in grilled sandwiches, and -- please don't laugh -- as a snack all by itself.

I'm so ashamed! :blush:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
It's OK, Doug. You're among friends. (And I love that stuff, too. Just grab a slice as I sail past the fridge - it's good to know I'm not alone with this shameful little secret!)

chowhound

I'll grab a couple slices of American cheese and slap it between two pieces of white bread. That's it.
I do prefer the deli sliced stuff to Kraft slices though. The drier, the better.

homecook

I'm there with you all!! If I want a snack that's what I reach for. Burgers......oh yes. I also crumble it in my scrambled eggs. LOL :ohmy:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Just consider it slumming if you will. I like the stuff myself on grilled cheese sandwiches. :yum:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I like really good cheeses too. Gruyere is probably my favorite, but I'm not ashamed to say that I like Velveeta. It makes the best grilled cheese, and it melts perfectly in a casserole or homemade mac-n-cheese. I will always eat my Velveeta.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Yup! add me to the list. I am not a connoisseur Doug, I do like a good cheese. I have to depend on others to guide me to new tastes.

American is a good snack cheese. Grab a slice, fold it in half and half again 1/4 to Bear 1/4 to Liam and a whole half a slice to me. Still hungry? grab another slice and repeat. LOL

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I'm the "kind-of-sewer" that will eat anything put on my plate. American...Imported...whatever! Heck, I even eat grated Parmesan from the green can on my pasta.:shock::shock::shock:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OMG - do y'all know I missed the famous "green can" wars? Is there any way to hit the high points without stirring up anything? Because I have a feeling this is a great story!

chowhound

I wouldn't exactly call it a war, more like the minority trying to educate the arrogant that they may be offending some people calling certain foods "sawdust" or "crap in a box" (as boxed mac and cheese was once referenced, along with the infamous green can). Certainly not a war, but it became obvious that some people were above us commoners for having eaten such garbage. How did we ever survive (lol)?

My Gawd! :shock: I better substitute fresh burger for frozen patties in that recipe I posted earlier :tongue:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I though so Joe but was told it also comes with screw topped glass bottles, amazing how far we have come. :yum:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
LOL! OK, I get the picture now. I was once asked why I would serve my family crap in a box (MidEast brand rice pilaf) and it was suggested that I must be too lazy to make a real rice pilaf.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
If it tastes good and they eat it how bad can it be right. :in_love:
That's what I was thinking, too. And actually, I thought of the rice pilaf mix as one of the few non-crap things I served my family!!! (I really was a horrible cook for many, many years.)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You remind me of Dawn my wife, I won't even tell you how my diet changed the first year of our marriage till I sent her to my grandmother to teach her to cook. She learned thanks to my drill instructor grandmother who scared the hell out of Dawn. :thumb:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
As a cheddar head living in America's Dairyland I want to say that I love American cheese. Hey, it all comes from milk, and that's the first thing I ever had to eat so it must be good for you. Right?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Not according to the news today it seems 65% of all adult Americans are Lactose intolerant, which I'm one of. :whistling:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Not according to the news today it seems 65% of all adult Americans are Lactose intolerant, which I'm one of. :whistling:
Were you breast-fed, Joe? I was wondering because I had always heard that breastfeeding helps prevent milk allergies and intolerances. But I breastfed all my kids forever and 2 of them are lactose intolerant anyway. But I've also heard that Native Americans are genetically predisposed to having milk allergies so maybe that's it.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter

Oh, too bad. It was good with me. I think you have to practice drinking it as often as possible. :lol:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I was breast feed, though my brother wasn't and he isn't intolerant. My first son wasn't and is flat allergic to milk in any form, even ice cream makes him sick. While son #2 was breast feed and has no problems as is son #3 who wasn't and also has no problems as is daughter #4 who was and isn't so I'm not sure what it means. It seems to be based on something other than breast feeding I would guess. It has more to do with the amount of milk one drinks from childhood to adult hood which to be honest I didn't do. My downfall is around the holidays when egg nog is available as I just have to drink a couple of gallons of it, though I suffer every time.

smoke king

Banned

How did that happen anyway? I never even heard of Lactose intolerance until I was well into my 30's. Same with nut allergies!

Oh, btw, another vote for Velveeta-Yum! Food snobs be damned!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I like American Cheese. Perfect on a burger or for a little snack. Kraft singles are fine by me.
And velveta is part of one of my favorite dips for chips.
Mix velveta and a can of Rotel. Microwave and get the chips ready. Beware though, once you get started on this it's hard to stop. (note: the recipe is on the can of Rotel.)

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmmmm Borden or Kraft singles, yes!
On tuna melts, a slice thrown into a hot bowl of chili.. always have some in the fridge.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
And velveta is part of one of my favorite dips for chips.
Mix velveta and a can of Rotel. Microwave and get the chips ready. Beware though, once you get started on this it's hard to stop. (note: the recipe is on the can of Rotel.)

Just for a variation, I sometimes brown some Italian sausage (crumbled and drained) and mix it in. :brows: Love it both ways!