Hawaiian Hen

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Hawaiian Hen

Ingredients

1 Cornish Hen, halved (backbone removed)
1 can Jumex Peach Nectar (11.3 oz)
1 can Pineapple juice (6 oz)
Seasonings (I used Mrs. Dash)

Procedure

Heat Broiler to 500. Insert a cast iron skillet and allow it to get hot. In the meantime, season the hen halves with your favorite seasonings. Once the CI pan is hot, add 1 tablespoon of oil and swirl to coat. Now add the chicken and place under the broiler till nicely browned, about 8 minutes.

Remove from oven. Reduce oven temp to 350 degrees. In the CI pan, add the Peach Nectar and Pineapple juice. Swirl to incorporate. Cover the CI pan tightly with aluminum foil. Return to oven and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Remove from oven. Remove hen from the CI pan and cover to rest. Place CI pan over high heat and reduce liquid by 3/4 until thick. Plate the hen and spoon the reduced juice/sauce over each piece.

Notes

If you have some fresh Ginger, consider adding it when you add the juices. Also, topping the final plate with chives or green onions would be nice. You can use just about any chicken in this recipe, so feel free to try it with leg quarters if you like. But stick with bone-in pieces as the bones diffuse heat and keeps the meat from drying out. Lastly, you might even consider serving this over rice or thinly sliced and toasted bread slices.

Step_5-39.jpg

Step_6-34.jpg

Step_1-59.jpg

Step_2-58.jpg

Step_3-51.jpg

Step_4-46.jpg

Step_7-26.jpg

Step_8-19.jpg

Last edited:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This sounds wonderful! I would have never thought about peach but it makes sense. I'll definitely make this. Thanks, Keltin.

Oh, and did you know you have really nice hands? You could be a hand model! (Notice I did not say you could do hand jobs?)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This sounds wonderful! I would have never thought about peach but it makes sense. I'll definitely make this. Thanks, Keltin.

Oh, and did you know you have really nice hands? You could be a hand model! (Notice I did not say you could do hand jobs?)

Thank you ma'am, but I do a hand job all the.........uh, nevermind!! :yum::yum::yum::yum:

The peach and pineapple thicken nicely and make a nice sweet and sticky sauce. Great on chicken or Cornish Hen. If you like, to cut the sweetness a bit, think of adding green onions or chives. Maybe even garlic.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Hmmmm......maybe even a dab of soy????

That's what's great about making a recipe up.....so much room for expansion!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
No, no - I love a really sweet sauce. I'm a sugar fiend.

I'm with you on that!! :thumb:

Then you'll definitely love this one! Not overly sweet, but definitely the predominant “color” of the dish. I hope you try it and like it. It’s really easy to do! You could even get Fisher involved and let him open the juice cans and mix them together (in a separate mixing bowl) before pouring onto the chicken.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I was thinking just that - it's a perfect recipe for Fish to use and it would be perfect with rice (his favorite side dish). Plus, it looks really pretty.

GotGarlic

I was about to ask if the chicken was supposed to go skin-side down in the pan, but the step-by-step pix answered that question! :biggrin: Looks delicious, Keltin!