Its Brunch Time - Steamed Eggs

chilefarmer

Brunch time, missed breakfast.
Ham, Steamed Eggs with roasted Padron Chiles, Mighty fine about 9:30 this morning. CF :smile:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: Its Brunch Time

Well, I still call 9:30 "breakfast", but I love to sleep later on my days off.

Looks good, CF.

How do you make steamed eggs?

Lee

chilefarmer

QSis, the way I
steam eggs is quite easy. I have this small none stick skillet maybe 6" dia.
I break eggs into pan add wee amount of water and cover. Perfect eggs every time and no oil. CF:smile:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

QSis, the way I
steam eggs is quite easy. I have this small none stick skillet maybe 6" dia.
I break eggs into pan add wee amount of water and cover. Perfect eggs every time and no oil. CF:smile:

Medium heat? How long for a runny yolk?

I would like to try them.

Lee

chilefarmer

Lee, I watch the yolk, when its blind (white) and the egg is white its ready. med heat,don't add to much water at a time. You want all the water gone when your eggs are just like you like them. CF

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Okay, CF - is the pan hot when you break the eggs into it?

Eggs first, then water?

Sorry to be asking so many details!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Okay, here's my first attempt. I added 1 T of water, which was perfect. But I left the eggs on a bit too long, as I like the yolks runnier.

I did use a glass lid, I just wasn't paying close enough attention!

But I love the fact that I get the texture of poached eggs without the wetness!

This method is a keeper, CF!

Lee

Attachments

• Steamed eggs.JPG
    Steamed eggs.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 156

chilefarmer

Lee, with a little practice you can get them perfect every time. Sometime I do add just a touch of butter for flavor. Looks good though, glad you like it. CF

Leni

That's how I always cook my eggs in a pan. I'll use bacon drippings or sometimes butter. Many times I don't need to add water. The water in the eggs create steam when it hits the fat. You'll notice that his eggs have a pink cast to them. That's why mom called them pink eggs.

By the way, I usually fry a couple of strips of bacon that I've cut into bite sized pieces and once they are almost done I'll break the egg over the bacon pieces. I get a bite of bacon with each forkful and it really flavors the eggs. That way I also get steam from the bacon.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Leni, I love that idea!

But I did want to try the eggs without using any fat at all for the first time. Didn't even spray with Pam. No prob!

CF, I see that you use a small pan. I will try that, too! CF, I hope you don't mind that I added "Steamed Eggs" to the title of this thread, since it's morphed into a discussion about them.

Lee

Leni

Lee, another way to get the texture of poached eggs is to soft boil them. Pierce the large end of the egg. Bring water to a boil and lower the eggs into the water. Cook for five minutes and they are done. All you have to do is peel them. I use eggs straight from the refrig. If they are extra large or jumbo you'll need to cook them a little longer. I like to put them on buttered toast.

I'll butter the bread and then put it under the broiler until toasty brown the way you like it. The butter browns and that really improves the flavor.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll butter the bread and then put it under the broiler until toasty brown the way you like it. The butter browns and that really improves the flavor.

Ooooo, baby!

I'm thinking breakfast for dinner some night this week!

Lee