Advice, please?

Constance

My husband and I go out for lunch, and we have a popular mom and pop Mexican restaurant in our town. My husband wants to go, and I think that's great, but I do not like Mexican food, except for Margaritas and guacamole.
I do like re-fried beans, the cheeses, etc...I just hate getting a plate with little piles of mush that all look alike.

So, here's my question...what could I order that I might possibly like?

PanchoHambre

Wow I totally cannot help because I LOVE Mexican

Whats wrong with Margaritas and Gauc for lunch? Sounds good to me.

seriously.. if it's the Tacos and Burritos you don't like maybe a Chicken Mole? or Fajitas.. which if its a good place you assemble yourself so you could put only the stuff you like on it... you start with steak so...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How about chile rellenos, Connie? I LOVE them!

They are whole roasted poblanos (mildly warm green peppers) stuffed with lots of melty cheese, breaded and fried.

They are a pain to make, so I always order them when I'm out for Mexican food.

Lee

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I love cheese enchiladas but I always ask for ranchero sauce, which is a red sauce, rather than the chile sauce (it's a meat sauce) that is normally on top. I also love mexican rice and re-fried beans.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Are you a vegetarian? What about fish? Our local Mexican has a couple fish dishes on the menu. I have to be extra careful because I have 0 tolerance for capsaicin, and usually stick the the fajitas. Love the taste and the textures, just can't take the heat.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Im not a big fan of Mexican food either, so I order Chinese and send DW to the Mex place with her girlfriends. Works great for us.:thumb: You could just have beers and table snacks till you're not feeling any pain, then let DH drive you home. If that's not an option, then just speak up and exercise your wifey thingy that makes us hubbies back down every time, and go to the Italian joint. After all, we all know that Mama is the Boss!:thumb:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
My husband and I go out for lunch, and we have a popular mom and pop Mexican restaurant in our town. My husband wants to go, and I think that's great, but I do not like Mexican food, except for Margaritas and guacamole.
I do like re-fried beans, the cheeses, etc...I just hate getting a plate with little piles of mush that all look alike.

So, here's my question...what could I order that I might possibly like?

if u like pork --- if they have it on the menu - tacos al pastor - adobe-seasoned pork - cooked ...served on a tortilla, w/cilantro and onions...spritz of lime... my favorite taco

alot of places of fried tilapia... comes to you whole... splash of lime juice while you are eating

if u are going to go basic, just get yourself a chicken. cheese or chorizo quesadilla

i can go on and on..lol

The Tourist

Banned
The problem with ethnic restaurants is that they are run by foreigners. No understanding of American tastes and customs.

Waltz into the place, and simply annouce, "Bring me a 12 ounce steak and a margarita in a clean glass or INS (or Homeland Security) will be here in ten minutes.

If I'm feeling really generous, I add, "Por favor."

Four or five servers usually leave anyway, but you get to sit in a Mexican restaurant with your spouse, eating food you like, and it takes the Homeland people at least thirty minutes to actually show up.

As you can guess, I'm sick of "pressing 'one' for English."

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Constance - You can try Carne Asada, This is basically a steak. Chile releno is also good, but it has already been mentioned. Fajtas sea strips of steak marinated and grilled with onions maybe peppers or tomatoes. From there, you get warm tortillas sour cream maybe guacamole or order it and cheese. These are on the side you build your own wrap with what you want.

I do not recall if you are a vegetarian, if so, some places make fajitas witn portabello mushrooms.

Hope this helps

AC

simplicity

How about a salad? Then you can tell them what to add or what to leave out...or ask them to put a couple of slices of chicken or beef and cheese on top to make it heartier.

AllenOK

I would agree with Simplicity. Nothing beats a really good Taco Salad, in a huge "bowl" made from a deep-fried flour tortilla.

"Everything tastes the same" is one of the problems I have when I want to make something Mexican-ish at home. I'm always looking for a flavor that is definitely "different". One ingredient that I'm still looking for is huitlacoche. I seriously doubt I'll find it fresh in this country. I'll probably have to break down and order some canned over the internet. I've even looked at several of the Mexican groceries, and they don't have any, fresh or canned.

Have you tried making a good Salsa Verde? I can't really "taste" a difference between tomatoes and tomatillos, but the color is definitely different.

Fish tacos are good.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Poblanos Stuffed with Chorizo and Shrimp

Connie, I'm watching Guy Fieri make these right now, and I've copied and saved the recipe to make myself. Thought you MIGHT want to, too! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ith-chorizo-shrimp-and-rice-recipe/index.html

If you don't like it too spicy, omit the chorizo, or substitute a mild sausage.

Can you tell that I love stuffed poblanos? :smile: Still, when I go out for Mexican, I do order the rellenos since they are such a pain to make.

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That is hysterical and I had never heard of the stuff but have probably eaten it in the past.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I would suggest a simple Carne Assada, medium rare. It is a Mexican steak and it is pretty darn good in my opinion. Plus it doesn't look like mush, just looks like a steak, LOL.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I knew a girl who didn't like Mexican food for the same reason. She didn't like that everything was kind of mushed up. On the other hand she did like Fajitas because there was some texture to them.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Fisher's Mom said:
Just say "NO", Allen.

Oops. I've eaten it as filling in crepes and also in quesadillas. It's usually served as a garnish or an ingredient with other things. I thought it was very good - tasted a bit like truffles. Or mushrooms....

Constance, I totally understand why you think all Mexican food tastes alike - most of the offerings I've had at US restaurants fall in that category, probably because they think they are catering to US tastes. The reality of Mexican cooking is SO different. I could go on and on, but the layers of subtle flavor in the many wonderful sauces here are just amazing....I guess you'd better just come and visit, and I'll show you!

waybomb

Have you ever been to a real Mexican restaurant; one that native Mexicans frequent?

The food is superb, and nothing at all like the Americanized chains or copycats of Americanized chains.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Get a quesadilla...it's basically a grilled cheese sandwich, only with a tortilla instead of bread. Then, dip it in the quacamole, shoot the lime, lick the salt, etc etc etc...

jpmcgrew

Get a quesadilla...it's basically a grilled cheese sandwich, only with a tortilla instead of bread. Then, dip it in the quacamole, shoot the lime, lick the salt, etc etc etc...
:smile: You can also put shrimp, beef, pork, chicken etc in quesadillas. Come here to NM and I will show show you the differences. We have red and green chili and many ways to eat them.:thumb:

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
How about chile rellenos, Connie? I LOVE them!

They are whole roasted poblanos (mildly warm green peppers) stuffed with lots of melty cheese, breaded and fried.

They are a pain to make, so I always order them when I'm out for Mexican food.

Lee

i was going to say the same thing!!:thumb:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
a fajita chicken quesadilla is pretty good. Little hot sauce, sour cream, guacamole, . . . .

ok there's a red underline under quesadilla I expected that but one of the recommended replacements is "Cadillac" I'm not sure but probably not quite the same thing :bonk: