How to grill Meatballs ?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I saw in the Kraft food magazine that they skewered meatballs and grilled them. DS and I liked the idea, but have no idea how to do it ....

Any ideas on the size of the meatball ? What (spices) to mix into the meatballs, etc ? Sauce for the top ?

Thanks !

joec

Gold Site Supporter
As to skewered meatballs I've never tried them. Now with that said if you want an Italian taste then use and Italian seasoning in the mix or a standard Italian meat ball being veil, pork and ground beef, an egg, bread crumbs, sautéed onion etc. For this I would probably go more the Swedish type meat ball of pork, beef, bread crumbs and an egg. As for topping your favorite jarred pasta sauce for the Italian or a beef/cream for the Swedish or many other dipping sauces of your choice. Now in closing as for size I would make them small say about the size of a half dollar to a ping pong ball.

You said this is for a camping trip then I recommend you make at home and put in a cooler to take with you as they don't keep well at room temperature even cooked. I know the raw meats won't keep with out refrigeration a day with out it.

chowhound

I saw in the Kraft food magazine that they skewered meatballs and grilled them. DS and I liked the idea, but have no idea how to do it ....

Any ideas on the size of the meatball ? What (spices) to mix into the meatballs, etc ? Sauce for the top ?

Thanks !

Well, I've never done it either, but I wouldn't put much more thought into it than as if you were making small hamburgers.
Mix something tasty into the meat, roll it into a ball, the smaller the ball the more quickly it will cook, and cook them til you think they are done, like a burger. Typically until the juices run clear. It could probably even be a little well done, since you are going to dip them anyway.
Hmmm, BBQ sauce and sauted onions? Some kind of cheese sauce like melted Velveeta and a liitle worcestershire? Or hot sauce? The possibilities are endless.

Love2"Q"

Well, I've never done it either, but I wouldn't put much more thought into it than as if you were making small hamburgers.
Mix something tasty into the meat, roll it into a ball, the smaller the ball the more quickly it will cook, and cook them til you think they are done, like a burger. Typically until the juices run clear. It could probably even be a little well done, since you are going to dip them anyway.
Hmmm, BBQ sauce and sauted onions? Some kind of cheese sauce like melted Velveeta and a liitle worcestershire? Or hot sauce? The possibilities are endless.

i agree .. look at it as little burgers ...

Deelady

I saw the same recipe and was planning on trying it soon....I had never thought to put meatballs on skewers!! :D

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Thanks !

I'm so glad you asked!!! :yum:

Check this link where I do exactly that! I do this all the time, and on a gas grill, set the heat to low, have 3/4" meatballs, and they rest easily on the grates. Just "roll" them instead of flipping them, and they are great!

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6822

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I saw the same recipe and was planning on trying it soon....I had never thought to put meatballs on skewers!! :D

Yes! Meatballs on skewers!!! :yum:

Step_13-1.jpg

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7936

High Cheese

Saucier
I made gyros a while back. Made the meat like a meatloaf only using pork though. formed the meat onto skewers like a hotdog shape and grilled them.

I guess you could do that with beef....alot more friendlier meatball sub shape. Grilled meatball sub. lol