Shoofly and Applebutter Pies

Now that I've been able to shoo my husband off the computer, I can post the two contributions I plan to make for next Sunday's Easter dinner at Ian's Dad's house...for the entire family. I'm kind of nervous about this as it's the first time I've ever cooked for the whole clan. Wish me luck!

Shoofly Pie

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Make pastry of your choice or use All-Ready Pie Crust. Roll pastry into 12-inch round and fill pie plate, folding under edge of crust and fluting decoratively. Set pie shell aside.

To Make Filling:

1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)
1 cup light-brown sugar, packed to measure.
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
Baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1 cup light molasses
1 cup boiling water
1 beaten egg

Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, salt and 1/2 tsp. baking soda. Add butter, cut in until mixture is like coarse cornmeal. In bowl mix molasses with boiling water, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, egg and 1/4 of the crumb mixture. Pour molasses filling into pie shell, sprinkle top evenly with remaining crumb mixture and bake 50 minutes or until filling is set in center (shake pie gently, center should be firm). Transfer pie to wire rack to cool completely. Delish! :biggrin:

Applebutter Pie

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Make pie crust of your choice, either your favorite pie crust recipe or All-Ready Pie Crust. Roll pastry into 12-inch round. Place half of the pastry in 10-inch pie plate and place in fridge to chill until ready to fill.

To Make Filling:

1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbls. cornstarch
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup applebutter
2 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups milk

In a medium bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Add apple butter and eggs and mix well. Gradually add milk, stirring until well blended. Refrigerate. Roll remaining pastry into a 10-inch circle and cut into 8 1-inch wide strips. Pour applebutter mixture into the pie shell, moisten rim with cold water. Arrange four pastry strips 1 inch apart over the pie filling. Place remaining strips across first ones at right angles to make a lattice, pressing firmly to rim of pie shell. Fold overhanging pastry up and over ends of pastry strips, pressing into upright rim and using finger to flute edge. Bake for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in center of pie comes out clean. This pie is sooooooo good. Serve warm if desired. :wave:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Shoo fly pie is one thing that I've always been wanting to make, but have never gotten around to!

Let us know how these turn out, Fallon!

Would love some photos!

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I'd be proud to sit at your table. You will be just fine. Thank you for the recipe. Looks yummy.yummy