Console Gaming Question (Poll)

Which Console Game?

• Total voters

Lefty

Yank
With all three major games prices slashed, I am thinking of getting a new console game for my new LCD. Which is your favorite?

Microsoft Xbox 360
Sony PS3
Nintendo wii

(This is a public poll)

smoke king

Banned
I'm not a real serious gamer, but we have a couple of PS2's here at the house and they are plenty enough for me.

When I was in the hospital last winter, they had a wii and it really was a blast (or was because I was playing with young nurses?) . Its so much more interactive physically (bowling was my favorite) than the other systems. I'm hoping GS Sammy asks for one this Christmas!

Ronjohn

I was a Playstation gamer for years, but switched to the Xbox360 when it was time to replace the PS2. The PS3 was just far too expensive at the time.

The only issue I've had (and I suspect the PS3 would have it too, if not worse) was that the TV the Xbox is on is small, and the detail on the games is getting to be so fine that my small screen can make some things hard to read. Guess I need a bigger TV.

We also have a Wii, it's a blast but it's not really a "gaming" console in the sense that the other two are. Drunken Wii boxing is blast though.

(Oh the Xbox and PS3 will double as DVD players. Not sure if the Wii does. never tried it since that TV has a DVD player)

Oh, I should also add that I use my PC for gaming as well. :D

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Never was much on the eletronic gaming since the old pong/asteroids game I bought for my kids years ago. Don't even remember who made the thing any more. Now all of their kids have them from wii to xbox but never paid much attention myself. About the only games I play on my computer are the ones that come with Windows XP.

bowlingshirt

I don't have any of them, but we've talked about getting a Wii because it looks like it'd be more fun to get up off your butt and move around a little.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have Wii and like it. Much more interactive in that you have to get up to play some of the games. We play couch and lazy boy bowling where you have to sit. Kinda fun. Wii Resort just came out with extra sensitive controllers. You can do a fly by and dogfight that is way cool. Plus you can sword fight on top of round things like the gladiator show had.....you fight until one is knocked off into the water. It's a blast.

I've played old PS's but not the PS3, and never played an xbox so I cannot compare.

Wii does have WiFi so it can hook into your internet and you can download new games such as corn hole for 5 bucks. :thumb:

chowhound

I bought a PS2 last winter only because they were on sale. I seem to remember at least one of them being able to play Blue Ray, which might interest you.

chowhound

I still have my Atari, SS. Complete with a bunch of games and the specially designed console... what you would call an entertainment center today... on a not so grand scale. I imagine it still works. It's been kept dry and all.

Hey, Lefty. Would you like to purchase an antique gaming system?

vyapti

The X-Box has better graphics and more realism in its games. They are also more for adult/teen audience and for on-line or solo gaming. It costs $$ to use them on-line. The Wii has the platform games (mario kart, mario party, etc) that are done very well. Animal Crossing (which I don't play) has half my family addicted. The Wii is better for multi person gaming, parties, etc and, I think, has more variety. It's also cheaper.

I have both because my teenager needs his 360 and my wife and girls need their wii. If I had to choose, I'd pic the PC.

AllenOK

I voted PC, because we don't have any console games. We've talked about it, but never pulled the trigger on one.

Personally, I've always like flight sims, especially combat flight sims. I've been getting addicted to Bejewelled II lately.

Heck, you can find the old arcade games from back in the 80's if you look hard enough on the internet.

And yes, I grew up limited to playing an Atari 2600. When the first NES came out, my friends had one. Loved that thing.

Oh, crap. Now that I remember, there's an SNES over in the garage at the place we just moved out of. According to PeppA, it still works, although we haven't tried to hook it up or anything. I'm not even sure if we have games for it.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
There really is no one-size-fits-all answer, Lefty. Each system has it's strengths and weaknesses. I'll hit the highlights as I see them:

PC - Obviously a great solution for pretty much anyone except really young children. There are plenty of great games available and lots of input devices to choose from ie: gaming keyboards, gaming mice, PC controllers, etc. that can enhance your gaming. You must make sure you have a killer graphics card or you won't be happy (or even be able to play many of the newer games.) But there are loads of online gaming options, too, so it's very versatile.

Wii - A great gaming system for all ages. Lots of fun, family oriented games. Also, you can browse the net and play online. (There is no extra charge for the Wii online play.) I have one and I play Wii Fit and Wii sports with my kids and friends. The graphics are not as good as the PS3 or the XBox 360, but it's the best suited for family play, IMO.

PS3 - It's the most expensive and there aren't as many games out for it as the XBox 360. It's more for teens and adults because of the game selections. There are a lot of great sports games for the PS3, though. But - it's also a Blu-Ray player! (I use the Blu-Ray player feature most of all with this system.) I have one and the graphics are very, very nice.

XBox 360 - This is probably the best hard core gaming system. The graphics are exceptional and there are loads of fantastic games. The online gaming is available at an additional charge per year, but it has the largest community of players. With a headset, you can play and talk with other players. (Be careful - much of the talk is pretty rough. I will not let Fisher play online with the headset on.) There are plenty of games suitable for younger kids, too. Rock Band is a favorite at my house right now and everyone enjoys it. Be careful when you buy, though. There are several configurations available and you want the one that is right for your needs.

Hope this helps, Lefty.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
All of the Next-Gen except the Wii are capable of comparable graphics. It just depends on who made the game and how they compile it. Wii has the lightest hardware of all 3 Next-Gen consoles.

Gen1 – Gen2 – Gen3

PS1 – PS2 – PS3

N/A – Xbox – Xbox 360

N64 – GameCube – Wii

Nintendo actually goes further back:

NES – SNES - N64 – GameCube – Wii

We are in the “3rd gen” of hardware which is 360/PS3/Wii

Wii is the weakest.

PS3 and 360 are nearly equal, but PS3 is more featured (HDD, BDVD, Net, etc)

The 360 and PS3 are nearly comparable at this point with 85% of titles coming to both of them. Very few exclusives.

The Wii is kind of left out in the cold, and gets very few of the titles that the PS3/360 get.

Wii can’t play DVDs.

360 can’t play Blu-Ray DVDs (but can play regular DVDs).

PS3 is the only one that does multi-platform games, Blu-Ray DVDs & regular DVDs, and network.

However, while the 360 and PS3 are nearly equal, with the PS3 having the slight advantage in H/W capability, the 360 has been around longer and has a bigger library. More games from a few years ago while the PS3 was turning up.

But, as we move forward, there is little difference between the 360 and PS3 since so few titles are exclusive. And as a plus the PS3 has Blu-Ray.

You can get either one (360 or PS3) for 299 or less. Personally, buying new, I’d get the 360. It’s got a bigger library right now, a better web interface, a more mature network interface, and works with Netflix (like Roku).

PS3 gives you Blu-Ray, but using a game consolse as a DVD player only wears it out, and I don’t recommend it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I put a Mod Chip on my PS2, and downloaded a NES/SNES emulator and some NES/SNES ROMS. So I often play old NES/SNES games on my PS2.....its a trip. I love Ghosts & Goblins on the big screen....it's dated, and sound is rough, but it's hella fun!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
As for the Wii and the motion control – I simply don’t get into or even like the whole “get off your butt to play a game” idea. It defeats the purpose of gaming.

If you want to bowl, then go to the bowling center and do it. Real bowling is about physical control of the (heavy) ball and comradery with those you bowl with. It requires core balance, walking, grip, upper body stability and motion, co-ordination, and more.

If you want exercise, then you certainly won’t get much from the Wii, and you’re better off getting a home gym. My multi-station has a squat rack, pull-down station, bench, and calf station. With over 600 lbs of iron spread across two plate trees, it’s more than enough for some serious exercise. For cardio, use your bike or cut the grass.

Playing a game is like watching a movie, it’s a time to relax after you have done all of the real work or exercise, daily chores, etc. I just don’t buy into the whole Wii Fit business, and any game that wants me to flop around like an electrocuted catfish on my couch is not my kind of game.

True games are about eye and hand coordination, strategy, timing, etc. It’s about working your mind, and sharpening eye-to-hand coordination – all while you escape the real world.

True exercise is about walking away from the couch and hitting the iron or the yard. Do your bench, your bent-rows, your squats, and military presses…..hit the shower…..then RELAX with a good game.

Some would argue that Wii Fit is better than nothing for over-weight or inactive kids…..uh NO. It’s not. Wii is a treat. A toy. Kids need to do the yard work and exercises, then homework, before they get that treat. It’s not a replacement….it’s a treat for after you have done everything else.

What I’m saying is, don’t buy that crap that the Wii is the better choice because it requires you to be physically active. The “activity” it requires is minimal and based on a couple of transducers in the controller you hold. They are limited in range of motion and can be tricked with a flick of the wrist – you don’t need to make those wild flailing movements to trigger the motion sensor! Just flick your wrist and your done.

Saying the Wii is better for health reasons is like saying Light Cigarettes are better. Think about it.

Just my .02

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
We haven't had the new ones either. DH has always been a PS player. Son had the older XBox. Don't have Atari anymore, but, we have our N64 and Sega, lol. I will still play Aladdin and Mario Cart.

Lefty

Yank
I was talking to a co-worker about this and she mentioned wii was expensive in the terms of all the options you need to get for it. She said you need the $100 workout board for some of the more popular games such as surfing, skiing....

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I watched someone play super Mario a long time ago and learned that I am not bright enough for these.

bowlingshirt

My multi-station has a squat rack, pull-down station, bench, and calf station. With over 600 lbs of iron spread across two plate trees, it’s more than enough for some serious exercise.

U5.jpg

You should just sell your gear since you obviously aren't getting any "serious excercise" out of it.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks like he's doing the 12oz curl to me. Working on that right bicep. :D

I agree Wii is not better because of the activity, but it is more realistic because of it. You can bowl doing the real bowing motion. realistic. You can bowl down 100 pins which is way cool. The sound of the pins is so realistic. I like it. Same with Tiger Woods golf. You swing the club like you would swing a real club. Putt like you would for real. So you are not sitting on your duff the whole time you are playing. Wii fit is cool for aerobic exercise. Better than having ot get into the car and go to the gym IMHO.
The enhanced motion adapters add a lot of realistic control. You fly a plane (sitting down) but your movements are picked up and the plane reacts instantly.
I've never heard of the extra boards needed for skiing but I don't have a sking game. Wii sports has some good and some bad games. I would not pay extra for it. Bowling, baseball, golf, tennis, and boxing come with the Wii game. A very good start. All are fun. Wii Resort would be a good add on and it comes with one of the enhance modules that you plug into the controller. A 2nd one costs 19 bucks from amazon.

Another cool thing about Wii is that you can create your own characters. Make them look a lot like you do, or go wild and make em look crazy. When we first got the Wii the kids spent more time creating characters than playing games. Rather neat. Better than being stuck with the same old same old.

And you can download and play all the old nitendo games if that interests you. All the mario stuff and others I can't begin to name.

I've never seen a shoot em up game on this. I suspect the xbox and the PS3 have that genre coverd.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Good description of Wii play, Doc.

Keltin, I agree that the XBox 360 is the best platform for pure gaming. But I respectfully disagree with some of your assessment of the Wii. I have all 3 systems so I don't have a bias. While it would be ludicrous for parents to buy a Wii as a replacement for kids getting outside and off their butts - the Wii does deliver in it's goal to make gaming an active sport for kids. Yep, you can flick your wrist to trick the remote, but I've never seen anyone but tired adults do that. Even my older kids are jumping around when we're playing Wii games. Despite the relatively crude graphics, the look and feel of most of the games really does draw you in and you automatically get up and move.

Bowling is a blast and even though I can just sit and flick my wrist, I never do unless I'm on the bazillionth game of that day! Plus, with 4 people playing, we would have paid for the Wii in a couple of days vs paying at a bowling alley. (Not that I don't love to go bowling - it's just really expensive with all my kids and their friends.)

BTW, Doc, I got Wii Resort and it's very cool. Not a huge difference in play but definitely an enhancement. It makes the controller more sensitive and they have a bowling game that is almost exactly like the first one, but with the enhancements to the controller, it's even better. The swordplay game is fantastic - Fisher's favorite. I've played it quite a bit now and I like the sword things as much as the bowling.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
PS3 is the only one that does multi-platform games, Blu-Ray DVDs & regular DVDs, and network.

However, while the 360 and PS3 are nearly equal, with the PS3 having the slight advantage in H/W capability, the 360 has been around longer and has a bigger library. More games from a few years ago while the PS3 was turning up.
Great point, Keltin. If you already have a PS2, most of those games will play well on the PS3.

homecook

I agree the bowling is a blast!! But I also bowl once a week also. Actually so is the tennis and boxing you do really get a work out. LOL I'll be doing alot more of it come winter when I can't go on my walk.

I like the Wii because it gets the whole family involved instead of (like my son) sitting in his room and playing his PS3. When my kids and grandkids are here we play it alot...My DH has to sit most of the time but he enjoys it also.

Love2"Q"

i have a wii .. and two ps2s ...
a nintendo ds .. PSP ...
and a ps3 on layaway ..
the wii is great fun for the family or drinking games with
you buddies .. the lego indiana jones is a bit tough for the wii ..
but star wars light saber battles .. so much fun ..
when the ps3 went on sale i was first in line to put it on layaway at kmart ..
i am getting it because there are some games you can not get on ps2 that i want ..
and it has blu ray ..
another thing fun with the wii .. there are a ton of games available for download ..
and you cant go wrong playing mario kart online at 3 in the morning ..

Love2"Q"

and .. the wii fit is a really good fun way to get kids to off their butt ..
my sons karate school said that the wii fit is based around working on your
core strenght .. and my son takes speech therapy .. they also suggested it ..
so we make a family thing out of it a couple times a week ..