JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
DS took this picture on a recent trip to San Francisco:

Marin Headlands at Sunset

3864534972_8ff811b16d_o.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That's incredible. Worthy of a desktop wallpaper!

Have you got that in 1680x1050???? :lol:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I cannot give anything of his away without his permission and he's in Toronto now. All of his pictures have copyright protection on them.Here's another one.

3851875565_cd03431a87_o.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Yes, and we are very proud of him. He is self taught as well. Here is a shot of the moon and his astrophotography rig...

3821170307_035e9d0159.jpg

Nikon 500mm f/4 P + Tamron MC7 2x TC + Nikon TC-200 2x TC + Vivitar 2x Macro TC = 4000mm

At 4000mm

3821170031_4960bcd2e5_o.jpg

At 2000 mm

3821161141_15740acaf4_b.jpg

buckytom

Grill Master
I second that!:thumb:

And I love those shots of the moon! DW let me purchase a ginormous telescope several years ago-I've always wanted to get into astrophotography!

have you ever stared at a very bright, full moon for a while through your scope?

the last time i did that with mine, i crashed into everything for about 5 minutes when i tried to walk away. one eye felt like it was blind while the one that was on the eyepiece felt like it was as big as a dinner plate.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I don't know, BT. It sounds like there may have more involved than just the moon and the telescope. Something herbal, perhaps.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Has you son considered putting out a calendar, Joe? His pics would make a fantastic calendar. I'd definitely buy one (hint, hint).

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know, BT. It sounds like there may have more involved than just the moon and the telescope. Something herbal, perhaps.

haha I was thinking the same thing FM. Herbal or Wine or ???? Well, what do you say BT?

Has you son considered putting out a calendar, Joe? His pics would make a fantastic calendar. I'd definitely buy one (hint, hint).

I agree. Beautiful pics Joe. :tiphat: to your son. Awesome.

Just last weekend we saw an eagle with a fish much like the pic. We had him in our binoculars for more than 15 minutes as he sat in the tree with the fish in his talons. Not eating it, waiting for it to die we guessed...We were wishing we had those binoculars that have the camera built in so you can take of pic of anything you are viewing though them. Even our binocs did not bring him in near as close as your sons pic though. Fascinating. Great work.

buckytom

Grill Master
no, really, try it sometime. the eye that looks through a telescope begins to take over and the other one sorta shuts down. then, when you step away, watch out.

and yes, to both, lol. :alc:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Just last weekend we saw an eagle with a fish much like the pic. We had him in our binoculars for more than 15 minutes as he sat in the tree with the fish in his talons. Not eating it, waiting for it to die we guessed...We were wishing we had those binoculars that have the camera built in so you can take of pic of anything you are viewing though them. Even our binocs did not bring him in near as close as your sons pic though. Fascinating. Great work.
I saw one for the first time in my life last week (that wasn't in a zoo). It was on the side of the highway eating roadkill, I guess. Even so, it was spectacular.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
no, really, try it sometime. the eye that looks through a telescope begins to take over and the other one sorta shuts down. then, when you step away, watch out.
Oh, I get you now. Like when you wear a pirate eyepatch for the whole day because you're playing a pirate wench and Davy Jones game.

buckytom

Grill Master
We had him in our binoculars for more than 15 minutes as he sat in the tree with the fish in his talons. Not eating it, waiting for it to die we guessed....

lol, he was waiting for his close-up, mr. demille.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A few years ago a pair of eagles make their next on an island we could easily see from the park in Belpre Ohio. Every night folks would be lined up with cameras set on tripods hoping for that perfect shot. We had hopes the eagles would return to the same nest the following season but they didn't. That was 4 years ago. This year is the first I've seen them again on the river. We'll see them sitting in a tree hunting or flying around. Last weekend was the 1st time we've seen one with a fish. My wife first spied it flying with the fish. She saw where it landed in a dead tree so we were able to watch it for awhile.
....waiting for the shot like BT said. :yum: :thumb: To bad our camera didn't have near the optics to even see the eagle.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I second that!:thumb:

And I love those shots of the moon! DW let me purchase a ginormous telescope several years ago-I've always wanted to get into astrophotography!
You don't even want to know how much he has wrapped up in camera equipment. He is constantly buying and selling on e-bay and Craigslist, and always seems to come out ahead so he can get more equipment. Just the camera body and one lens that he used at his sister's wedding, cost $1,800. OUCH! Boys and their toys...