Sunday, 1/9/2011, Whats cooking?

buckytom

Grill Master
we finally got down to my parents' house today to exchange christmas gifts.

after hooking up the new hd tv we got them, and then trying to explain the 10,000 new settings it has, we ordered chinese takeout.

lots of good stuff: wonton soup, veggie fried rice, pork fried rice, shrimp chop suey, chicken and broccoli, kung pao shrimp, pork chow ho fun, and beef and broccoli.

the food was good, but after dinner my dad gave me some unbelievable gifts. he gave me about a dozen of his most favourite cd's of classical music, an encyclopedia of classical composers, a vintage "orvis fly fishing guide", but then he blew me away.

he gave me his old world war 2 binoculars. the ones he carried from d-day at normandy, through 5 campaigns into central europe. since he was a medic on the front lines the entire time (actually behind the lines during the battle of the bulge), he used these binoculars to spot wounded men so he could run out and drag them to safety, while also spotting ss snipers with them for his platoon.

i used to play with them as a little boy, but i'm not sure if he knew how much i prized them, for their history, and just how cool they were.

he was very happy to know that they will get more use, but now only for spotting birds or deer or bear. :thumb:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Last night was quite cool, (we actually had to turn the heat on), so it was a perfect night for a pork roast. Some time ago, I got a 7 pound boneless pork loin at Costco and I cut it in half. Cooked one half then and froze the other half until now. Now the first roast was disappointing. Flavorless. It there wasn't much of a fat cap, and no sign of fat in the roast. I always pull it from the oven at 135F and let it rest, so it wasn't overcooked, just flavorless. They're breeding pork so lean these days that they're breeding all the flavor out.

I'm not usually a fan of brining, but this roast really needed help, so I let it swim in 2 quarts of water with 1/4 cup each salt & sugar for about an hour and a half in the fridge. I remove it, and let the little pig sit on the counter for an hour or so to come to room temp. Patted it dry, seasoned it, then browned it up real nicely in a skillet. I put the whole skillet in a 375F convection oven. After about 30 minutes, I turned the roast over and glazed it on all sides with a bottle of Raspberry Chipotle Sauce the I bought recently. After a total of about 45 minutes in the oven, it was a perfect 135F, so I pulled it and let it rest covered for 10 or 15 minutes.

With it, I cut a pound of carrots oblique, tossed them with a tablespoon of rendered duck fat, s&p, and roasted them at the same time. Tossed a potato in to bake.

The pork was a perfect juicy pale pink, and actually had good flavor. The carrots were divine! I always forget that I have a jar of rendered duck fat in the fridge. Whenever I remember to use it, I'm always greatly rewarded.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Last night was quite cool, (we actually had to turn the heat on), so it was a perfect night for a pork roast. Some time ago, I got a 7 pound boneless pork loin at Costco and I cut it in half. Cooked one half then and froze the other half until now. Now the first roast was disappointing. Flavorless. It there wasn't much of a fat cap, and no sign of fat in the roast. I always pull it from the oven at 135F and let it rest, so it wasn't overcooked, just flavorless. They're breeding pork so lean these days that they're breeding all the flavor out.

I'm not usually a fan of brining, but this roast really needed help, so I let it swim in 2 quarts of water with 1/4 cup each salt & sugar for about an hour and a half in the fridge. I remove it, and let the little pig sit on the counter for an hour or so to come to room temp. Patted it dry, seasoned it, then browned it up real nicely in a skillet. I put the whole skillet in a 375F convection oven. After about 30 minutes, I turned the roast over and glazed it on all sides with a bottle of Raspberry Chipotle Sauce the I bought recently. After a total of about 45 minutes in the oven, it was a perfect 135F, so I pulled it and let it rest covered for 10 or 15 minutes.

With it, I cut a pound of carrots oblique, tossed them with a tablespoon of rendered duck fat, s&p, and roasted them at the same time. Tossed a potato in to bake.

The pork was a perfect juicy pale pink, and actually had good flavor. The carrots were divine! I always forget that I have a jar of rendered duck fat in the fridge. Whenever I remember to use it, I'm always greatly rewarded.
You are such a tease. Where are the pictures???????????:bb:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
1. The carrots tossed in a Tlb of rendered duck fat.

2. The pork roast out of the oven.

3. EAT!

Attachments

• pork carrots 003.jpg
    pork carrots 003.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 143
  • pork carrots 004.jpg
    pork carrots 004.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 111
  • pork carrots 010.jpg
    pork carrots 010.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 110

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Nice roast, SS!

I was given some Oasis Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce. So far I've had it on little smokies and on some cream cheesse. That stuff is really good. Now I will have to try some on pork.