Monday 3/19/2012 What's on the table?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I am planning to make homemade ground beef stroganoff helper and salad.

Any plans?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Something with chicken. I'm leaning toward chicken 'n dumplings.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I had a big lunch today, leftover pork chop and 1/2 of a twice baked potato. I'm thinking I'll go meatless tonight and have stuffed mushrooms.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
My chop meat isn't thawed yet so I may need to change my plans. I have some more uncooked multi colored peppers and already browned sausage so maybe make a pasta sauce or saute with eggs. Not quite sure yet.

Embryodad

I think it's gonna be cjkdgfytrned beeiuhgfff and cabbage!...Gaggage! Sammage!

I'm so sick of it...I can't get the words out. LOL

Leni

Peeps, put the meat into a zip loc bag, not the one with the slide cause it will leak, and then into a sink of tepid water. They will defrost in no time. I do this all the time. You may have to change the water when it gets too cold. I don't bother to put things out on the counter anymore to defrost.

Embryodad

Peeps, put the meat into a zip loc bag, not the one with the slide cause it will leak, and then into a sink of tepid water. They will defrost in no time. I do this all the time. You may have to change the water when it gets too cold. I don't bother to put things out on the counter anymore to defrost.
Leni.... I read peeps post about the chopped meat not ready...and I was about to post that I freeze mine in flat zip-lock bags..exactly like you do.

I usually freeze 1 lb flat in each gallon. I then press all the air out as much as possible.
Now! like it Tina gets the 10 lb package of chopped whatever... I do like 5 lbs in 1 lb each in the gallon baggies...and 5 lbs in the Quart size baggies of 1/2 lb. each. That gives me 10 -- 1/2 lb baggies.

The 1/2 lb. ones are like if we just need a little or if like 1 lb. is not enough and I need a little more.

Usually 20 minutes in cool water bath will thaw it out, and the meat is still cold!

Leni

Not only does it defrost very quickly but it is also a much safer way to defrost meat of any kind. There is much less chance of bacteria growing.

Embryodad

Not only does it defrost very quickly but it is also a much safer way to defrost meat of any kind. There is much less chance of bacteria growing.
Yeah!...so right!

We used to just leave the 1.5 or 2 lb,s of whatever in the store boat, and thaw it on the counter..and when thawed if we were not cooking it till later...we would just stick it in the refrigerator.

DW was great for that...so I said to her...let's try my method.
Don't forget... we both worked, and Gram was here to watch the house and accept the kids when they came home from school....so it was thawed out, but warm sometimes. We never got sick; because we cooked it right away; but who knows?

Maybe we built up anti-bodies! L O L ...

Leni

It's going to be Progresso ministrone soup with grilled cheese sandwiches that have a slice of ham in them.

Embryodad

Wow!... Big Supper tonight!....

I had a bologna and cheese on rye, and scallions and pickles on the side!

Mommy "T" had a scoop of meat sauce on a dish with 1/2 a hot dog roll.

Now...that's less than they served in the county prison tonight! L O L

Last night was "soup & sandwich" night.

Had a quart of homemade Cauliflower Soup in the freezer, so enjoyed that along with St. Pat's Day leftovers: I had a Reuben Sandwich (using cole slaw instead of sauerkraut), & hubby had a "Rachel", which subs in smoked turkey for the corned beef. Delicious!!