Evenly sliced bread

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
For those of you who bake your own bread or those of you who like to eat homemade bread....how do you get your slices even? Do you use a guide? Do you freehand? I've been thinking about buying a guide but was wondering if it is worth it and, if so, which one is best?

goatherder

I have a bread knife that has a guide, so yes I use a guide. I bought this many years ago, paid about $30. if I remember correctly. The guide is adjustable, a very handy feature. I am not sure all bread knives have an adjustable guide. I make so much bread it really is a must for me. The name is wearing off, but it looks like it says "Kitchen Devils". I wouldn't be without my bread knife.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I have a $90 bread knife that DW bought for me a couple of years ago, but I only use it for cutting baguettes and scoring the top of bread before it goes in the oven. For cutting up an entire loaf, I use a Cuisinart electric knife with a bread blade. I just "eyeball" the distance between slices and make sure the knife is cutting straight down. I guess a guide would be nice, but I wouldn't want anything that would touch the blades of my knives. It only takes one "oops!" to flatten an edge, and then it's back to the bench fixing it. I make a lot of the honey whole wheat, and almost always make 2 loaves. The electric knife makes short order of slicing it up.

ButtertopWholeWheat-2.jpg

Brysbreadbaking.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I never thought of an electric knife, Joe!

Great idea!

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, Joe!! That's the same knife I have...though I haven't seen it since I moved here. Can't remember where I put it!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have been making something like this for people. We use them for vegetables as well. They will slice a tomato paper thin. The bow acts like a gauge.

Attachments

• Bow knife.JPG
    Bow knife.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 261

goatherder

I can't seem to find a Kitchen Devil with a guide goatherder :sad:

Joe, what model is your Cuisinart? Your bread is always beautifully sliced.

I was considering this wooden guide but I guess that won't work if it will damage my knife:

328C-lg.jpg

http://www.smithswood.com/proddetail.asp?prod=328C

I'm sorry Mama, I looked too and couldn't find one. I probably bought it many years ago from King Arthur. I have bought many expensive toys from them that they no longer carry.

Hey Andy, that is a beautiful knife. One Christmas a SIL bought me "The original Fiddle Bow Bread Knife" that honestly I have never used, because I love my Kitchen Devils adjustable knife. I always wondered why the box featured a picture of a tomato, as well as cheese and bread. I think I will try it out on a tomato today! Thanks for the idea.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have been making something like this for people. We use them for vegetables as well. They will slice a tomato paper thin. The bow acts like a gauge.
OH Andy!! That is beautiful work!! I would love one of those to slice tomatoes and bread. I like to buy loaves of sourdough and rye bread from shoprite and many times they are unsliced.

homecook

I also use an electric knife to slice my breads. It has a guide but I never use it, it just doesn't seem to work right or it's user failure. lol

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I use a sharp serrated knife and hope to hell the slices come out even.
Most times they do, sometimes they don't.