Can anyone tell me...

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
What can I do with this?

Someone at the farmers market gave it to me about 2 weeks ago and I don't know what to do with it. lol

382061_2165907716117_1499378782_1770335_2089155789_n.jpg

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
You can cut it in half, clean the seeds out and bake it.

I peeled one then cut it in half, cleaned it, cut it into chunks and boiled and mashed it like spuds. I added some butter and a touch of cinnamon. It was delish.

goatherder

I'd cut it in half and bake it. That is the easiest way to deal with the skin. Just scoop out the flesh after it is baked. Oil the cut sides and bake it cut sides down.

Then I'd make a pie out of it. It looks like some type of butternut (winter) squash, which is what is inside cans labeled "pumpkin".

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I stuff them with sausage, apples, pecans & walnuts. Then add some sage for a thanksgiving-y flavor.

My recipe's here.

Attachments

• stuffed squash (5).jpg
    stuffed squash (5).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 175
You can make butternut squash soup, roast it & add it to a salad, put it on a pizza, etc.

This is one salad idea I had in mind for the Hoildays.

Butternut Squash Salad w/ Hazelnuts & Blue Cheese
(You can change it out & add the ingredients you like, i.e. goat cheese, walnuts, pomegranate etc.)

http://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...ternut-squash-salad-00100000066902/index.html

squash salad.jpg

Photo credit Lee Hubbard, Real Simple

You'll find the butternut squash pizza on their site, as well.

Just do a search for Butternut Squash - you'll be inundated with recipe ideas. I love the flavor, but find them a bit unwieldy to deal with. Be very careful when cutting them in half &/or peeling them. Easy way to lose a finger.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Peel it, cube it, a little olive oil, salt and pepper, roast. THEN, in a sauce pan, sweat half a small yellow onion, a little garlic, add in roasted butternut, add just enough whole milk/half n' half/cream to cover, bring to a simmer and puree for a really easy soup. Finish with a little bit of butter.

QuirkyCookery

So uh, now I want to intentionally go buy a butternut squash just to try out some of the suggestions given because they sounded so yummy. And I'm not usually a big squash person myself.

abi_csi

Butternut squash is also a good ingredient to go into a frittata with feta cheese and some fresh herbs. Lots of great ways to use it

Mr. Green Jeans

Cooked butternut is better (IMHO) than pumpkin puree for pie. I also use it interchangeably for sweet potato in a sweet potato bread recipe.

Embryodad

A good thing my grandmother would do...was

Cut it in half.. set one half aside and brown sugar and a little salt and butter..and set it in the oven to bake..

The other half..she peeled..cubed small, and boiled till just getting soft.
Drain...and add to a pan with olive oil...and brown it..when done add salt and garlic minced fine...stir / take off the heat and cover to steep the flavors.

Cook some medium shells macaroni...and drain / add the cubed squash to the shells..and serve with a dusting of pecorino Romano Cheese, and a splash of good olive oil.

Same squash...for the meal..and the baked sweet for dessert...