Whole Wheat Pastry Flour for Cranberry Upside Down Cake?

goatherder

your best substitution would be white cake flour. I am surprised you can't find whole wheat pastry flour. I read where you describe foods that you say you can easily find and they can't be found in my rural area. I buy ww pastry flour at a natural foods store and keep it in the freezer.

Thanks. I have a couple of more places I can check, but was really surprised that this particular market didn't have it - & they carry things like rice flour, buckwheat flour, & different nut flours!!

goatherder

I've got another idea. That market may call it something other than whole wheat pastry flour. It might also be labeled as ww soft flour, or even ww cake flour. Do you remember if you saw ww soft flour there?

Nah - just regular whole wheat flour & whole wheat bread flour. But I'll keep those other names in mind when I check more markets. Thanks!

Yes, I'm sure one can get in online, but it's a little late for that - lol! And the markets around here do carry both King Arthur & Red Mills products - but of course not what I need - lol!

Just checked out the King Arthur website & they list all my supermarkets as carrying their products - but only SOME of their products. Unfortunately the pastry flour isn't on any of the lists. They suggest asking the store manager to special-order it. Guess I'll have to make this a little less healthy & sub in regular white pastry flour (assuming I can find that).

Checked out WalMart today. Once again - all sorts of King Arthur flours available, just not my whole-wheat pastry flour. The quest goes on!!!!!!!

goatherder

You will never find ww pastry flour at Wal-Mart. I have only found it at specialty shops. Have you looked for the white soft flour LOL? It usually comes in a 2 # box labeled "Swans Down" cake flour, I think. Or you could be really radical and use ww bread flour. But honestly, I don't understand what is meant by "whole wheat flour". Could that be an all purpose flour? If it is, use that over bread flour. All purpose flour is a mix of hard and soft flours, thus the "all-purpose" meaning.

You are lucky, my Wal-mart only carries two kinds of King Arthur flour, unbleached white and ww bread. I go to Wal-Mart to get the KA ww bread flour, that is the only bread flour I use.

I like Eating Well, but sometimes I have difficulty finding certain ingredients in their recipes. I make subs where I can.

Another way to go for dessert (but not a cake), is clafouti(s). As I recall, Jaques Peppin has a recipe for cherry, but I think cranberries would work well.

Last edited:
EUREKA!!!! Called around this morning & found that both Whole Foods & Wegmans carry Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour. Whole Foods is a bit of a distance for me, but Wegmans is an easy 40-45 minutes, so guess I'll be doing my last-minute Thanksgiving Day shopping there early tomorrow morning. Wegmans was so nice - even offered to put a bag aside for me.

I hope this Cranberry Upside-Down Cake is worth all this - lol!