Stuffed Roast Butterflied Chicken (ATK)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
With whole chickens only 88 cents/lb., I had to try this America's Test Kitchen recipe.

In my own words...

Stuffed Roast Butterflied Chicken (ATK's)

Make a small tray out of doubled-up, heavy duty aluminum foil. Spray the inside of the foil tray with Pam.

Make whatever stuffing you like (do not add salt!) and put it in the foil tray.

Brine a 5-6 pound chicken, in 2 quarts of cold water and 1/2 cup salt, for one hour in the fridge (discard the giblets, and trim excess fat from chicken.)

After an hour, remove the chicken from the brine, rinse it under cold running water, pat it dry, and butterfly (or spatchcock) it by removing the backbone. Flatten the breastbone.

Rub oil on the chicken and season it with pepper (I sprinkled with Bell's poultry seasoning, too.)

Put the oven rack to lower-middle part of oven and pre-heat oven to 450.

Place stuffing in it's tray in a foiled roasting pan (for easy clean-up) and place the butterflied chicken on top of the stuffing. Tuck wings behind the back.

Roast for 30 minutes, then rotate pan and roast for another 35 minutes or so, until chicken is done and brown.

Remove chicken to cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. Fluff up stuffing (it will be beautifully brown on the bottom!).

Very moist and tender chicken!

Lee

Attachments

• Stuffing.JPG
    Stuffing.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 164
  • chicken.JPG
    chicken.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 191
  • Cooked%20stuffing.JPG
    Cooked%20stuffing.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 188