beans - from scratch

Dogboa

When I make Cuban style black beans, using dry or canned beans, I always start with a sofrito of onion, garlic and tomato. The onion and garlic are sauteed until softened, during this time I add freshly ground cumin and a dried bay leaf or two. You can also add diced green bell to the onion and garlic if you like. Next I add seeded and chopped fresh tomato and let that cook over med-low heat for a few minutes. Next is the beans which if canned I add with the liquid, fresh get drained after cooking. I use chicken stock to further flavor the beans, but vegetable stock would work as well. Some folks like to add Adobo seasoning, but I like cumin best. I only add salt at the end just before serving. Remove the bay leaves and serve with long grain cooked rice. I use this recipe for refried beans, frying in Manteca (lard) and adding Cotija cheese.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
cumin seems to be the 'identifying' spice for latin american dishes - we like it but in smaller qtys that often used...

thanks for the ideas - we're not 'against' meat, just trying to keep it low(er) fat - so a beef or chicken stock would definitely bring some flavor to the party.

I've used canned beans many times - but I'm finding the dry from scratch does better for texture - canned beans are,,,uhmmm,,,, canned - and sometimes to mush.
and the flavors are better controlled methinks - one doesn't have to overcome the 'canned taste' - seems most canners have a 'stock seasoning' selection of salt+chem lab...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Smoked turkey parts.

I now use them in my greens instead of pork hocks.

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
currently doing a pot of pinto beans.
onion, mixed color peppers and sliced chorizo.
hit it with a "italian blend" seasonings - tomorrow should be a good bean day....

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
note to beanie addicts:

_always_ make it 24 hours ahead.
a day in the fridge is worth mountains in the mouth.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
heehee.

DW was not fond of the bean dish as it was 'finishing up' the making...

but after a day it really blended well and was really yummy.

the sausage was andouille (the chorizo was a booboo) - I mention this because as it finished I was not impressed with the "sausage flavor" - but it developed nicely overnight.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Lately, The up-front seasoning in my Pintos from scratch is this gem....

aaa.jpg

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
yuppers. I generally don't use the 'blends' but DW picks out recipes and buys for them, and we wind up with some very odd bottles in the spice cabinet....

I did use the Perfect Pinch "Italian" seasoning on this batch. worked well.

got any good black bean suggestions?

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Nope !

Just the usual suspects... a little minced Jalapeno, Cumin, Cilantro, Mexican Oregano when I can find it, otherwise regular oregano w/ Lemon zest...Garlic, of course...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
got any good black bean suggestions?

This one is different from the Mexican recipes.

One reviewer said to add some molasses, which I would do. I would also cut back on the brown sugar, if I was just using one can of beans.

You have dried black beans, I take it? What the heck, if you have about 6 hours, just use them in my Boston Baked Beans recipe. http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1858&highlight=Boston+Baked+Beans

Or Shermie's pressure-cooked beans http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21120&highlight=Boston+Baked+Beans

Lee

“Baked” Black Beans
https://www.readyseteat.com/recipes-Baked-Black-Beans-6162

Ingredients

· 1 tablespoon Pure Wesson® Vegetable Oil
· 1/4 cup chopped fully cooked bacon
· 1/4 cup chopped onion
· 1 can (15 oz each) Rosarita® Premium Whole Black Beans, drained, rinsed
· 1/4 cup Hunt's® Tomato Ketchup
· 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
· 1/4 cup water
· 1 teaspoon Gulden's® Spicy Brown Mustard

Directions

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and onion; cook 3 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add all remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to medium-low, cook 10 minutes more or until flavors blend, stirring occasionally.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I got black beans, kidney beans, navy beans, white beans, pinto beans . . . (g)

copied those out - thanks - will give 'em a whirl.

on the BBB - typically a bit darker than the link... do you use dark molasses in them?