The salads of summer - Cole Slaw

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Shall we continue our romp through summer salads? The sun is shining in New York, I have a beautiful view of the Empire State Building out my window and I can just start to see the weekend beckoning.

I have to admit that I come to the table empty on this one, but, I do have my borrowing cup out. I love Cole Slaw, I resent the tiny cup of it that I get at a restaurant.

While I am begging recopies, Has anyone ever heard of Pepper Hash? What is that? Is it a form of Cole Slaw?

Carolina Cooking

I had some blu cheese cole slaw a couple yrs ago . I loved it so much I ate everyones that was sitting at our table. :blush::blush:

I tried for a long time to make it like that. Mine never was the same. I bought Maries & several other bottled/jar, it wasn't the same at all.

I picked up some Blu for a totally diff recipe & just dumped it my reg slaw dressing ..:a1: it is my fav slaw dressing.

I buy bagged slaw :sorry:

1c mayo
maybe a little sour cream
1 or 2 T w vinegar
s/p or if I remember celery seed.
4oz crumbles blu.

I could eat the whole bowl by myself at one time. .. It actually brings my Blood Sugar down. So thats my excuse.:biggrin:

Oh & when you do Macaroni salad I have one killer recipe.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I had some blu cheese cole slaw a couple yrs ago . I loved it so much I ate everyones that was sitting at our table. :blush::blush:

I tried for a long time to make it like that. Mine never was the same. I bought Maries & several other bottled/jar, it wasn't the same at all.

I picked up some Blu for a totally diff recipe & just dumped it my reg slaw dressing ..:a1: it is my fav slaw dressing.

I buy bagged slaw :sorry:

1c mayo
maybe a little sour cream
1 or 2 T w vinegar
s/p or if I remember celery seed.
4oz crumbles blu.

I could eat the whole bowl by myself at one time. .. It actually brings my Blood Sugar down. So thats my excuse.:biggrin:

Oh & when you do Macaroni salad I have one killer recipe.
My blue cheese dressing/dip is

cream cheese
sour cream
blue cheese

no mayo

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I make a strange cole slaw - I shred cabbage on the mandolin and grate carrot then toss with my homemade salad dressing. My girl and I don't really like mayo on cabbage.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is my favorite. Always a hit with people, and they want the recipe.

Lee

California Chinese Coleslaw

1 head grated cabbage
1 pkg. (3/4 cup) slivered almonds, toasted
8 green onions, chopped
2 pkg. Ramen noodles, uncooked, broken into pieces
1 pkg. (1/2 cup) sesame seeds, toasted

Dressing:
1 cup oil (not olive oil)
½ cup sugar
6 T. Chinese white vinegar
dash pepper
dash garlic powder
(you can use the noodle seasoning packet in the dressing if you wish)

Leaving out oil, heat the other dressing ingredients until sugar melts. Add oil and cool.

Mix grated cabbage and green onions.

Toast almonds and sesame seeds separately, since the almonds take longer. Combine with the dried broken noodles.
To prevent sogginess, toss everything together just before serving.

Attachments

• California Chinese Cole Slaw.JPG
    California Chinese Cole Slaw.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited: