Green Beans at Thanksgiving

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Although we never had them in our family, I see from other posts that green beans are a widespread Thanksgiving tradition.

Are they a part of your table? If so, what form do they take?

The casserole with the Cream of Mushroom Soup & Fried Onions?
A from-scratch version of the above?
Plain green beans?
Some other version?
Or do you skip the beans in favor of other green veggies? If so, show us your green!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
My husband's family loved that green bean casserole! It is tasty, but always seems to congeal after a while. The green vegetable doesn't hold a place of honour at my thanksgiving table. Some years it doesn't even get a spot. If I do green beans, they are generally fresh and served steamed and tossed with caramelized shallots and orange zest. Thanksgiving at my table tends to be more of a carb-fest.

GotGarlic

I have done green bean casserole in the past; this year, there will be four of us, so I'm doing a medley of roasted vegetables - carrots, onions, Brussels sprouts and something else I can't remember :blush:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Grandma always made Brussels sprouts - just plain boiled sprouts - overcooked (she was Irish, after all).

And she opened packages of frozen peas & carrots - you all know the ones with the little square carrots. I wonder where they grow square carrot cubes?

I never even heard of green bean casserole until I was an adult and had it at someone's house. But since then, it seems to be ubiquitous at Thanksgiving.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
My mother always cooked fresh green beans with new potatoes and bacon. She always made a green pea salad too (frozen/thawed green peas, chopped egg, celery, mayo, little sugar,???).

Sometimes someone will bring spinach casserole (frozen/thawed spinach, Lipton onion soup mix, sour cream, ???). I love it, but it's not the most popular dish on the spread.

I think last year we had caramelized brussel sprouts with balsamic. And.....the green bean casserole usually makes the scene too, just depends on who's coming.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I've only had green bean casserole once and a friend brought it to dinner. I make a cold green bean salad. Steamed string beans dressed while hot (the hot beans absorb the dressing better) with slivered fresh garlic, fresh lemon juice, EVOO, sea salt and fresh ground peppercorns. Let sit till chilled. I usually make it the night before to allow the flavors to meld.

mhend

Green beans are always part of our Thanksgiving. My grandmother always made it like Cooksie's mom did-with potatoes and bacon. Now that it's moved to my aunt's, she always makes a green bean casserole.

Although we never had them in our family, I see from other posts that green beans are a widespread Thanksgiving tradition.

Are they a part of your table? If so, what form do they take?

The casserole with the Cream of Mushroom Soup & Fried Onions?
A from-scratch version of the above?
Plain green beans?
Some other version?
Or do you skip the beans in favor of other green veggies? If so, show us your green!

I like green beans (& so many other green vegetables), but abhor the green bean casserole. Canned green beans & string beans make me gag - the tinney, soggy taste grosses me out.

I have, however, enjoyed the swiss vegetable medley - broc/cauliflower/carrots, sour cream, mushroom soup, french fried onions & cheese.

From time to time, over the years, green beans have appeared on my thanksgiving table, but they are steamed w/ some lemon juice & maybe pine nuts. I enjoy many variations - i.e. sesame & soy sauce, green beans or haricot verts & cherry tomatoes (w/ creme fraiche and/or dill), or green beans & mushrooms w/ shaved parmesan. When long beans are in season at the asian market, I grab them up.

Brussels sprouts almost always appear at my table. I particularly like them with chestnuts & browned butter, or creamed.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
We'll be having the green bean casserole made with fresh green beans along with mustard greens cooked with ham hocks, peas, creamed spinach and roasted asparagus along with a bunch of other sides that are not green.

Deelady

we have collard greens with smoked turkey leg chopped inside, green bean casserole or green beans with potatoes and bacon mixed in....depnds on whos cooking that year.

Rob Babcock

If I'm doing the cooking (and lately it seems I usually am) the fare is uncomplicated, almost minimalist. Most of the time I only do turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, a can of jellied cranberries and bread or dinner rolls. We always have pumpkin pie with whipped cream, or "whipped topping" if I'm not the one in charge of dessert. In years past we often did major holidays at the home of some out of state relatives; my aunt always created an absurdly lavish spread that took two tables to hold and a couple days to prepare. The problem is that if you take more than a forkful of each thing you're stuffed before you try even half of it. My family really prefer just the basic traditional items anyway.

Mr. Green Jeans

We do the green bean casserole. Hey I'm from Ohio and that is the official state dish LOL!
I prefer the Alton Brown version but MIL will whine incessantly if "the original" isn't on the table.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I don't really care for the green bean casserole, I had it once about 3 years ago and couldn't stand the taste... It probably had something to do with the dried onion rings that I didn't like more than the rest of the dish.

I do like to prepare a dish of green beans cooked with bacon and potatoes. Yum! :p

And a veggie salad is always a must.

K

Kimchee

NO green bean casserole here!!!! My dad's was the only good one I ever had, and he
stopped making it well before I thought I'd want the recipe... now it's too late.

We do green beans like this:
Open 2 cans, drain the juice.
Saute about 3-5 slices of bacon till crispy, break into small pieces.
Saute 1/4 of a chopped onion in a tablespoon or so of the bacon grease.
Add a tablespoon or so of sugar and generous shaking of Red Hot pepper to
the onions.
Add the beans and bacon, let simmer for a good 10-15 minutes.
Yum!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We eat green beans 3-4 times a week. It's a veritable staple here. Typically in the pot with onion, bacon, and a splash of soy and perhaps garlic.

For the Holidays, we always do the Green Bean Casserole. Love it! I could make a meal out of it.