Thinking of Christmas baking & gifts.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I started three batches of vanilla extract in preparation for Christmas baking and Christmas gifts. Basic vanilla extract requires:

Suitable jar with lid (I use pint jars)
1 Cup (8 ounces) 80 proof (min) alcohol
3 Vanilla beans - slit, scraped and all put into jar.

Store in a cool dark place and shake once or twice a week. It will be available for use in 60 days, but the longer it steeps, the more intense the flavor becomes.

For some variety I made:
(1) 8 oz. jar with 100 proof Vodka,
(1) 8 oz. jar with 151 proof rum,
(1) jar with 6 oz. of 100 proof vodka and 2 oz. of 151 rum.

I recently bought 1/2# of beans from Olivenation.com for $27.99 (free shipping), and this was 66 beans. I split the order with a friend, and we each have enough beans to make 11 batches of 8 oz..

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Christamas in July!! LOL

I'll send you my addy and I'll look for santa to bring me something from your house!! ROTFL :yum:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Terrific gift idea, Joe! I know that I sure would love to receive a jar!

Lee

QuirkyCookery

Last year, about 2 months before Christmas, I started seeing vanilla extract tutorials. They all suggested starting it then and just adding a note saying that it wouldn't be at its best for another few months (as in, give as gifts, but wouldn't be ready really until much later). I didn't think that was quite fair, but still wanted to make some, so I did. Now, in the middle of summer, it smells absolutely amazing. I'm thinking maybe I should start some more to give away 6 months from now anyway, hehe.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Oh, it was very fair. I posted the process & pics at the beginning of my first batch here on 11-20-09, then at its bottling on 5-14-10 at which time I refilled the bottles with more vodka, and then again at the bottling on 12-3-10. You just happened to come along at the bottling phase instead of the conception phase (everyone knows conception is more exciting!;)). You should be glad you were here to enjoy the third conception. :corny: BTW, there's no extra charge to get you thinking about it again for the holidays.:corny: