The "Breakfast" thread

Nancy-MD

Mama, I just have one thing to say to you - my hubby would leave me in a heartbeat for you!!!!!! Hahaha!

Heck, I'd leave my hubby for you!!!!

OMG Mama, your breakfasts are absolutely to die for - each and every one of them!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i call it a hefty late-nite snack, although considering the hour, it's technically breakfast- an english muffin w/ cream cheese, a sweet & salty granola bar, breyer's w/ crumbled grahams, a tangerine, & a pop. i'm beat. gonna catch some snooze now. 'nite/'morning~

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Super Bowl Sunday Breakfast. This should hold him till the Super Bowl :lol:

Attachments

• breakfast02052012-2.jpg
    breakfast02052012-2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 176
  • breakfast02052012.jpg
    breakfast02052012.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 169
  • breakfast02052012-1.jpg
    breakfast02052012-1.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 172
  • breakfast02052012-3.jpg
    breakfast02052012-3.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 174

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
OH MAMA!!!

Now I want to go to Cracker Barrel!!

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Peepers.

I've never tried it Guts. I don't know how DH would react if I did. I've been making it the same way for over 30 years :lol:

Guts

mama I think the nutmeg makes a great addition as long as you don't use too much. Here's the one I've been making with Jimmy Dean Sage sausage and in my opinion is one of the best sausage gravies I've ever had, anywhere, including any restaurant. I know that's a pretty bold statement but people who don't like sausage gravy like this one, and I'm pretty sure it's close to what you do with the addition of nutmeg, and poultry seasoning. The two key ingredients to this recipe. Maybe you might like to try it sometime. So that's why I'm going to post it here for you.

Sausage Gravy
1 lb sage-flavored bulk pork sausage
2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 qt milk
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 Pillsbury Grand Biscuits (bake according to directions on can, cool & slice) homemade would be even better!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crumble sausage into a large saucepan; cook over medium-low heat
Add onion, cook & stir until transparent
Drain, discarding all but 2 Tbsp of drippings
Stir in flour, cook over medium-low heat about 6 minutes or until mixture bubbles and turns light brown
Stir in milk, add seasonings
Cook, stirring until thickened
To serve, put on top of sliced biscuits
About 6 servings

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I got breakfast served to me in bed this morning by my wife. It is our 48th wedding anniversery. She went all out with eggs, bacon, sausage and pan cakes.

We also got our income taxes done with a nice refund coming back shortly. We have the food started for the Super Bowl from hot wings, deviled eggs, chips and several dips as well as a cold cut, cheese and vegetable plate. All in all a great day.

Leni

Guts have you tried the frozen Philsbury Grands biscuits? I think that they taste a lot better. They also have Southern style with buttermilk.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Congratulations joec....48 years...that's awesome!!!!! It sounds as though you are having a wonderful day!

Thanks Jimmy!

Those frozen ones are good Leni but nothing beats homemade. Get you some self-rising soft winter wheat flour (like White Lily or Martha White), some lard and some buttermilk. They really don't take that much time or effort.

Leni

That is for sure Mama. My grandmother used to make them. I've never tried to make biscuits from scratch. I'll have to see if I can get some good lard from my local meat market. The lard that I can buy in the local markets have been refined to tasteless. I assume that you have a recipe posted someplace.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I got breakfast served to me in bed this morning by my wife. It is our 48th wedding anniversery. She went all out with eggs, bacon, sausage and pan cakes.

We also got our income taxes done with a nice refund coming back shortly. We have the food started for the Super Bowl from hot wings, deviled eggs, chips and several dips as well as a cold cut, cheese and vegetable plate. All in all a great day.
Happy 48th!!

We also filed our taxes last week.

Embryodad

Happy 48th Joec.....

Uhemm....Uh..Don't forget, great days..end with a great romantic night!.. :brows:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I made eggs in a nest/basket/whatever you wanna call it :lol: this morning using homemade Italian Bread....YUM!

Attachments

• breakfast09062012-1.jpg
    breakfast09062012-1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 141
  • breakfast09062012-2.jpg
    breakfast09062012-2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 140

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I made eggs in a nest/basket/whatever you wanna call it :lol: this morning using homemade Italian Bread....YUM!
OH MAMA!! I have never made that. Do you partially pan toast the bread before adding the eggs then finish browning/toast the bread while cooking the eggs?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Peepers! Yep...that pretty much sums it up. I start the buttered bread just on the one side and cook until they just barely begin to brown then add the egg and turn the heat down to low. Once the bread has browned, flip and continue cooking on low until the whites are firm but the yellow is still runny. You can use any kind of bread you want but I really enjoyed the homemade Italian bread.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thanks Peepers! Yep...that pretty much sums it up. I start the buttered bread just on the one side and cook until they just barely begin to brown then add the egg and turn the heat down to low. Once the bread has browned, flip and continue cooking on low until the whites are firm but the yellow is still runny. You can use any kind of bread you want but I really enjoyed the homemade Italian bread.
Do you use a biscuit cutter to cut the circle before or after the first side is browned? Then just toast them along side the eggs in the pan?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
If the bread is wide enough, I use a biscuit cutter. In this case, the bread wasn't quite wide enough so I just cut the holes "free hand". And yes, just grill the centers right along with the eggs.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
If the bread is wide enough, I use a biscuit cutter. In this case, the bread wasn't quite wide enough so I just cut the holes "free hand". And yes, just grill the centers right along with the eggs.
I wish I could make a giant pancake with an egg cooked in the middle this this. :whistling:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
woke @ 3:30-ish ravenous so, i got a container of oranges & a pop. later this morning i'll pour a bowl of cereal. oh, yeah- a packet of blueberry muffins, too.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Sunday morning brunch. I made a scramble with steak, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and cheese. Potato cakes, fried apples and biscuits. We should be good for a while :wink:

Attachments

• brunch10282012-1.jpg
    brunch10282012-1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 280
  • brunch10282012.jpg
    brunch10282012.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 281

Embryodad

Sure does look great Mama...

I just made (no pic) a Taylor Ham and cheese on a Thomas' Soft toasted Bagel.

I ommited the egg today. I could eat one every day, but I limit my ham and egg sandwiches to every three days.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks luvs and Jimmy! We had a lot to do this afternoon so I knew I wouldn't have dinner ready until about 7 so we needed a big brunch to hold us.