1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine
2 cups beef broth
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
2 bay leaves
8 ounces button mushrooms
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Buttered Noodles, recipe follows, for serving
Directions
Wash and dry the oxtails. Add the meat to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Toss the meat in the flour until lightly coated.
Add the olive oil to a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown the oxtails on all sides, in batches, until well browned. Transfer the meat to a plate and pour off some of the drippings, if necessary.
Add the onions, carrots, celery, thyme, and garlic to the pot and saute until the onions are tender and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the tomato paste and toast. Deglaze the pot with the bottle of red wine and stir up all the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in the beef broth, tomatoes with their juices and the bay leaves.
Add the browned beef back into the pot along with any accumulated juices that may have collected on the plate. Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook until the beef is tender and falling off the bone, about 3 1/2 hours.
Stir in the mushrooms and cook uncovered, for 30 minutes more. Taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper, if needed, and stir in the red wine vinegar to brighten the flavor. Remove the meat from the pot and pull the meat off the bones, then add back to the pot. Discard the bones. Transfer the stew to a serving dish and serve hot over Buttered Noodles.
Buttered Noodles:
1 (12-ounce) package wide egg noodles
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 small shallot, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons minced chives
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water over medium heat, according to the package directions. Drain in a colander and set aside.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and saute until tender. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and melt. Stir in the chives, Parmesan and lemon.
Add the noodles to the skillet and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
oooooooo!!!! Copied and saved, Lucky!

I love this stuff!

Lee

smoke king

Banned
Man that sounds good! Oxtails are a true "comfort food" for me-my mom used to make them all the time when I was a kid. They seem to be pretty hard to find these days though.

On its way to the printer-I guess I'll have to speak to the butcher!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I got pics, Smokey !

OxtailStew006.jpg

OxtailStew013.jpg

OxtailStew017.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I finally made this, Lucky!

Spectacular!

I didn't use the noodles recipe, but I would like to make that noodle recipe for a side dish sometime.

Lee

Attachments

• Oxtails 1, in pot.JPG
    Oxtails 1, in pot.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 1,025
  • Oxtails 2, plated.JPG
    Oxtails 2, plated.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,034

chilefarmer

Looks like good eats to me. I can find ox tails here in my area but can't force myself to pay $4.95 pound for them. Beef shanks same price. CF

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I love oxtail - often had it as a kid, including sucking the marrow out of the bone. Family not so keen - don't like eating things on the bone.
Price has also gone up here, celebrity chefs using them.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Lee, That's Beautiful !!:applause:

Time to do it again !
Have to ask for the tail a week in advance...

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
:bump:

Halved the Recipe - Forgot to halve the Wine..... OOPS ! :margarita:
That mistake caused the Gravy to not thicken properly ........:bonk:

IMG_6159.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmm!

Just add a little Wondra or a cornstarch slurry when you re-heat and it'll be fine.

'Tis the season, huh, Lucky? :)

Lee

Johnny West

The commissary and Asian markets carries oxtail - I'll look there. I've wanted to make some beef ramen. Shanks are the same as streak and crazy to pay that much for tough meat. I'd buy some cut up dog bones and a chuck steak to make broth. :WitchBrewsSmiley:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
My Asian Market stocks Oxtails for about the same price as I pay at the Amish Mkt. But they only sell you the 'Tail End' of the tail.... much too small; not enough meat on the bone to matter...

I'd love to reprise Osso Bucco but, as you've pointed out, way too much to pay for what is essentially Bone...

But even at $8 a pound, I still like to roast a rabbit now and then.... "then" is scheduled for this Saturday !