Autumn Meals

Phiddlechik

Happy Autumn! What are some of your favorite fall menus? I always think of squash... love it in the fall! Yes, cinnamon, cloves, allspice are good, but I've been also flavoring it with sage and garlic (not WITH the aforementioned spices, but instead of).
Meatloaf, baked potatoes, too.
And of course, a nice, steaming bowl of chili!

Phiddlechik

I've got apples simmering now... peeled, cored, diced, added some sweetened applesauce, brown sugar, butter, syrup (fake pancake stuff, real stuff too expensive for us!), cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg; reduced and keeping warm until the German pancake comes out of the oven. Waiting for son and daughter-in-law to get up... they had a couple of days in the Tetons/Yellowstone/Jackson, so are sleeping in!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Soups and stews with good bread.
Roast beef. Chicken fried steak.. mashed potatoes.
Corn pudding, souffle, casserole..

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Phiddlechick, I often do a mashed sweet potato with chipotle instead of the traditional cinnamon and brown sugar. Try it.

To the topic, I just made a butternut squash soup, even though it really doesn't feel like Fall here.

I'll do stews, fricassees, roasts, etc. And pies...Fall is always time for more pies than usual.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Not really fall weather here, either - it won't cool down here until at least another month. Our only moderate months are December, January and February (highs in the high 70s, lows in the 50s). But Mexicans eat soup and stew all year around! As the humidity begins to fall a bit, I'll do more baking and we'll turn to comfort foods like chicken and dumplings, beef stew, etc.

Guts

I see chicken and dumplings has come up. I have a question; dose any one else steam there dumplings like I do in a steamer? or just cook on top the chicken stock.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We cook the dumplings right in the chicken stock. Helps to thicken the stock - we like it thick!

Phiddlechik

I need to bring soup to church Sunday night, think I'll go with chicken and dumplings. But, haven't decided if I will use noodles, or actually make dumplings.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I don't really have "season" meals. I make whatever/whenever I crave it. Most ingredients are available any time of the year.

Guts

I see chicken and dumplings has come up. I have a question; dose any one else steam there dumplings like I do in a steamer? or just cook on top the chicken stock.

I may be the only one that dose it this way.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I always cook the dumplings in with the chicken as well. I've never seen it done any other way, but there are certainly lots of ways to make chicken and dumplings. I always add carrots, sometimes mushrooms, and certainly some onion. I like the recipe you shared, Keltin, but I have never heard of adding chopped egg whites. Sounds good - does anyone else do that?

Guts

How do you thicken your broth....or is it a thin sauce? Mine is thick like in this recipe.

http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dinner/creamy-chicken-dumplings.html

The two pics. One is the steamer I use to make Bisquick dumplings in. Doing this way they aren't or don't get soggy and can be used the next day or eaten with jam with breakfast. make as directed on the box, put in melted butter then stack in steamer (not to high they will rise) put the top half on steaming water and cover till cooked.

I would never tell some how to make ckn soup, but I will pass along some thing learned some time ago. The other pic. is what I use to make ckn soup it will thicken a little, and I adj. the thickness with ckn broth and wondra flour mixed before added to the soup. The "Lipton Cream of Chicken" box comes with four(4) packets! use all four(4) with three(3) cans of ckn broth seems about right. Just the Lipton Cream of Chicken made with ckn broth is good by it's self, keep in mind for a sick day... This dry cream of ckn is a seasoning packet... One box of 4 and three cans of broth is a good ratio. This is just the broth, add chicken which can be cooked ahead of time. Any thing can be added to this but I just like to keep it simple. Add noodles for ckn soup / or thicken for ckn & dumplings.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 146

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

I cook the dumplings in the same pot as the stew or chicken, using the cooking gravy to steam on the top, simmer on the bottom.

GotGarlic

We had a high of 95 today and it's supposed to drop to the sixties on Sunday. I'm trying to decide what to make - New England pot roast, German potato and sausage soup, posole (Mexican pork and hominy stew), or Italian pot roast with a nice red wine. Something that will cook for a long time and make the house smell great :smile:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I always cook the dumplings in with the chicken as well. I've never seen it done any other way, but there are certainly lots of ways to make chicken and dumplings. I always add carrots, sometimes mushrooms, and certainly some onion. I like the recipe you shared, Keltin, but I have never heard of adding chopped egg whites. Sounds good - does anyone else do that?

I like to add peas to mine Karen, because that's the way my Mother and Grams made them.
As far as the dumplings go, I prefer making them like fat square noodles, dropped in the hot broth with the handful of frozen peas at the same time, although I have used Bisquick to make them too, dropping heaping tablespoonfuls in.
Soupy starter base is simply chicken broth, milk, onion, poultry seasoning.

Phiddlechik

Well, I have changed the plan for soup tomorrow night at church. I'm going to make kielbasa, white bean, kale soup. The plan is to slice the sausage, brown it, then put it in a container. Chop the kale, put it in a big plastic bag. Then when I get to church, take out their big soup pot, put in the meat, kale, 4 cans of white beans (rinsed), 1 can of cream of celery soup, 2 large boxes of chicken stock, water, if needed. Season with celery seed, pepper (enough salt in the processed foods). It will simmer while we rehearse (praise band). I'll bring the pretzels I made today, along with the cheese/mustard dip, and some sliced french bread for those that don't want a pretzel.