Paula Deen

Carolina Cooking

I just read on a health forum/website that she has Type 2 diabetes. Has had it for several yrs & is trying to keep it under wraps.

Wrong move JMO. I would think she would have respect from ppl who have Diabetes. Why try to hide it?

Phiddlechik

I have been having some weight issues, and concerns about diabetes, and have reduced my addiction to food tv. Her show was one of the first to go.

Carolina Cooking

And why continue to promote a diet that is actually bad for those with diabetes?

I guess she has built a name for herself with all that high sugar & fried foods , & all those high carb foods & desserts . she think s it would be bad for biz.
I just saw her on QVC pushing her new cookbook, & she stuffed a big ole mouthfull of her Banana Pudding . She also said its the new Joy of Cooking . Ya right.

Full Fat is good IF you use it with Low Carbs. Not a lb of butter in one sitting tho lol
I bet she would have a new following if she came out with it, then did healthy cooking show. The good fats & what they are & how to cook with them.
To my knowledge there is only one cooking show for diabetics & that is Dlife..

Its going to come out & I personally think folks would feel better about her & respect her more for it, then hiding behind it.

If she does do it & I would watch her, I can get past the phoney Ya'lls :mrgreen:

K

Kimchee

I kinda disagree.
It's her life, and if she decides not to go public
with her health issues, that is her decision. She doesn't have
a responsibility to put her life issues into her media personality.

As for her cooking, that is what she is known for, and it is what
got her where she is today. Just like with all the less than healthy
foods and cooking styles shown on TV, it is up to the viewer to
decide what they want to eat, and how.
There are many people out there who enjoy her food style, and probably
get quite a bit of enjoyment and great ideas from her show. Why penalize them?

Just my opinion, ya know!

GotGarlic

If it's true that she has diabetes, then I think it's hypocritical of her to promote an unhealthy diet and make money off of encouraging people to eat the kinds of foods that not only are bad for diabetics but actually contribute to causing the disease. Also, if celebrities put themselves out there, then I don't think they have a reasonable expectation of privacy anymore. There are celebrities whose private lives you never hear about, because they're not out promoting everything that will make them a few more bucks.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
If it's true that she has diabetes, then I think it's hypocritical of her to promote an unhealthy diet and make money off of encouraging people to eat the kinds of foods that not only are bad for diabetics but actually contribute to causing the disease. Also, if celebrities put themselves out there, then I don't think they have a reasonable expectation of privacy anymore. There are celebrities whose private lives you never hear about, because they're not out promoting everything that will make them a few more bucks.

Amen GG! I've always loved Paula but since she had that "Paula's Party" show, she's become so fake I can't stand to watch her anymore. Seems as though she enjoys flaunting her jewelry and over-emphasizing her southern drawl & laugh much more than she does cooking/teaching as when she first started on FN. Her shows in the beginning of her career were real, honest & friendly...not anymore....I hope & pray she realizes how she's coming across and finds the ability to confront her diabetes as she did her agorophobia :poke:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm a diabetic also.

It's just that I'm having a hard time trying to distinguish the two types, as my glucose level is and gets two low because the pancreas isn't manufacturing enough insulin, and if it gets dangerously low, I begin to sweat profusely about the face, get weak and can't stand up. Also, I begin to shake, tremble & feel sleepy!

Only if I eat something, especially something sweet, does the condition begin to reverse itself, giving me my strength back and returning me to normal. Which type is that one? Anyone know?

GotGarlic

Hi, Sherman. When the pancreas isn't making enough insulin, the result is high blood glucose, not low. This is Type 2 diabetes. Type 2 is often reversible or manageable with diet and exercise, but sometimes requires drugs or insulin injections. You should be seeing a doctor who specializes in diabetes care - consequences of untreated diabetes can be quite severe. See the Mayo Clinic section on diabetes, especially the complications, for more information: Mayo Clinic information on diabetes

Shermie

Site Supporter
But my glucose level is not high, it is often low. If I go too long without something to eat, the blood sugar level goes down too low, sending me into a hypoglycemic attack.

If no food is around then something sweet, like candy, soda or a glass of orange juice has to be obtained immediately, or else I can go into a coma and possibly die!! I AM on glyburide for it, not insulin, as it is not needed.

GotGarlic

But my glucose level is not high, it is often low. If I go too long without something to eat, the blood sugar level goes down too low, sending me into a hypoglycemic attack.

If no food is around then something sweet, like candy, soda or a glass of orange juice has to be obtained immediately, or else I can go into a coma and possibly die!! I AM on glyburide for it, not insulin, as it is not needed.

I would suggest you talk to your doctor, then, to be sure of your diagnosis.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Most diabetics experience hypoglycemia from time to time Shermie. It happens to people with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Have you discussed this with your doctor? GG is right, it's not a disease to mess with. Both of my parents had it so, unfortunately, I have a 1 in 2 chance of getting it myself but so far so good. I check my sugar level from time to time just to be on the safe side.

Shermie

Site Supporter
It was my doc who diagnosed me with it.

He put me on Metformin, but my cardiologist took me off of it and put me on Glyburide. She said that it didn't seem to be working with the liver or something like that.

Yes, if your glucose level is too high or too low, you can have an attack. A friend of mine, his is high, but he's not on insulin. He's on Metformin.

I am registered with the Joslin Diabetes Clinic and yes, I DO have a meter as well. I check the sugar level daily. This morning, it was 71.

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Being a diabetic is jut part of Paula Deen problems now. Food network has let he go,and stores are taking her products off the shelf.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Being a TV Star, “It's the nature of the beast.” One day your on the top, the next day, they chew you up and spit you out. [/FONT]

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I just read in a “People” Magazine at the supermarket, how this Paula Deen story come about. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]She was asked in a court hearing has she ever used the Nword? She said YES many years ago. But times were different back then. {She is 66} The court started to badger her about how many times she has used the, Nword.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]That's how this started! What a bunch of gardage. I am left dum struck at how stupid this is. I say we should boycott the "Food network". [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Funny I just turned 67 yesterday and have use the term myself in the past both as an insult, joke and even as a compliment. It is just a word no better or worse really than any other. With that said it is how people use it that makes the difference and wished I had a $1 for every time I've been called a WAP I would be living on my own tropical island now if I did. I have a feeling this too will pass eventually.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I had a black woman just yesterday tell me her thoughts on the whole thing...."How are we ever gonna get past this race thing if we insist on making such a big deal out of something like this?".

Shermie

Site Supporter
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I just read in a “People” Magazine at the supermarket, how this Paula Deen story come about. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]She was asked in a court hearing has she ever used the Nword? She said YES many years ago. But times were different back then. {She is 66} The court started to badger her about how many times she has used the, Nword.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]That's how this started! What a bunch of gardage. I am left dum struck at how stupid this is. I say we should boycott the "Food network". [/FONT]

From what it looks and sounds like, I think that this is just sour grapes years later!

Paula never really hurt anyone. We've ALL said some things in the past that we did not really mean.

People at times, need to just get over themselves and just move on. Deal with it. :yuk:

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I speak for myself here. I have stoped watching any “Food networks” shows. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]May what the Food network done to Paula Deen come back to the food network 10 times over. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The funny thing of this is. I did not watch alot of Paula Deen cook shown. But I would now. [/FONT]

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I just don't know why "they" seem to be so after Paula. I got this from another of Doc's forums. As I sat outside with my Adult beverage last night, I googled as many of these as I could remember and they all seem to have happened.

================================================
If the Food Network is going to fire Paula Deen then they also need to fire Anne Burrell, who was sued for sexual discrimination. They would also need to fire Chef Cat Cora, who was arrested for DUI with a blood alcohol level 3 times the legal limit and screamed profanities at people. Dinner Impossible's Robert Irvine was caught lying about his background when he stated he used to cook for the Royal family when, in fact, he did not. Iron Chef Bobby Flay was sued and settled for nearly $1 million because he kept tips from his employees and also cheated on both of his wives. Iron Chef Morimoto was sued for skimming tips from his employees and not paying them properly. Food Network Chef Geoffrey Zakarian filed bankruptcy to avoid a lawsuit - 152 of his disgruntled employees sued him. Chef Juan Carlos Cruz hired a homeless man to kill his wife. Chef Ina Rosengarten, The Barefoot Contessa, refused to meet with a child who was dying of cancer. Chef Guy Fieri has been accused of sexually harassing women and has asked his producers to warn him in advance if he has to tape his show, Diners Drive-ins and Dives, with restaurant owners who are gay. Jeff Frugal Gourmet Smith sexually abused men. And these people mentioned above still have their jobs, even though their "sins" all occurred within the past few years. None of us are who we were 25 or 30 years ago, and that is the beauty of self-growth.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I speak for myself here. I have stoped watching any “Food networks” shows. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]May what the Food network done to Paula Deen come back to the food network 10 times over. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The funny thing of this is. I did not watch alot of Paula Deen cook shown. But I would now. [/FONT]

Good post Rustpot. I do think a lot feel this way. Much ado about nothing.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Smacks of a witch-hunt or McCarthyism.

Disgraceful!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Smacks of a witch-hunt or McCarthyism.

Disgraceful!

Lee

Not to mention being so disrespectful and distasteful!!

The person or restaurant worker who did this could have let it go. But he or she didn't.

They just wanted to stir the pot and have her blackballed!! :mad:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I heard the white person who brought the lawsuit wanted $1.25 million in hush money or they said they were going to "destroy" her. It's just sad.

I found this on a CNN blog a few days ago. I think it really puts the whole thing in perspective:

Pastor friend says Paula Deen can't be a racist

SAVANNAH, Georgia (CNN) - The Food Network announced Friday that it will not renew the contract of Paula Deen after she admitted using a racial epithet – but a black pastor who is friends with the celebrity chef said she "can't be a racist."
Deen apologized Friday for "the wrong that I've done," a move that follows revelations this week that she admitted saying the N-word.
But Pastor Gregory A. Tyson Sr. from First Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church in Savannah, Georgia, defended Deen to WTOC, a CNN affiliate.
"I know her," Tyson said. "My children have been to her house. I've been to her house, I've sat on her furniture. I've been all through her house. What racist would let a black man walk all through her house?"

Tyson also said he is pastor to Hollis Johnson - the black man who manages much of Deen's affairs, travels everywhere with her, owns a successful limo company with a fleet of cars that Deen helped finance.
"She is a mother to him, a mother figure," Tyson said.
"People are going to jump on it and believe what they want to believe and add what they want to add," said Tyson. "But one thing I can sit here today and look you in the face and tell you is that woman can't be a racist."
"She can't have a heart against black people with all that she had done, and all she continues to do," Tyson continued.
"That is why I'm here with you today to be a character witness for miss Paula Deen because she is a beautiful person, a beautiful spirit."
Asked what he thinks about Deen's admission that she has used the N-word, Tyson said, "Who hasn't?"
"That's what you want in a person, to be honest," he continued. "She stood up and and confessed and made the point that she did use the word. Who hasn't? That doesn't make her a racist. Would a racist gives thousands of dollars to an organization that helps black boys?"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb5HDsympiE[/ame]

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I heard the white person who brought the lawsuit wanted $1.25 million in hush money or they said they were going to "destroy" her. It's just sad.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Like Big Dan T said: “It's all about the money boy”. [/FONT]​

Shermie

Site Supporter
That guy Sean(the black guy eating the watermelon), I don't know.

Supposedly, he defends her, but then again, he's calling her stupid!!

Who's side is he on?!!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm not going to call her "stupid," but she has really been making some bad decisions during this whole ordeal. I just got around to watcing the youtube of her on the Today Show. She would be a lot better off if she would learn when to keep her mouth shut. Those videos and the interview did more harm than good....IMO, of course :biggrin:.