Braised Short Ribs

joec

Gold Site Supporter
OK here are the recipes I used for this.

BRAISED SHORT RIBS

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 pounds short ribs, cut into individual ribs
2 tablespoons Creole seasoning (recipe I used below)
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/2 cup red wine
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 bay leaves
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 quarts beef broth (or enough to cover the ribs)
1/4 cup chopped scallion (green part only), for sprinkling

Cajun Seasoning
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika (I use smoked)
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Yield: about 2/3 cup

Directions

Heat oil in a dutch oven or large, heavy covered pot over high heat. Season ribs with Creole seasoning, patting it in well with your hands. When pot is nearly smoking add ribs without crowding them and sear on all sides until they form a brown crust. Do this in batches, if necessary. When all ribs have browned remove then add onions, celery and carrot; sauté 1 minute or till brown lightly. Stir in tomatoes, garlic, wine, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, pepper, and ribs back with enough broth to just cover ribs. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to gently simmering, cover and simmer until very tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
To serve, mound ribs in center of 4 plates, spoon sauce over and garnish with chopped scallion.

Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 2 hr 45 min Level:
4 servings

With this I'm making the broth into a sauce over flat egg noodles and Brussels sprouts.

Attachments

• IMG_3321.jpg
    IMG_3321.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3325.jpg
    IMG_3325.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3329.jpg
    IMG_3329.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3333.jpg
    IMG_3333.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3336.jpg
    IMG_3336.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 128

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Great cut on those ribs. That's some of the best looking ones I've seen in a while! I can never find them as large and as "pretty" down here.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I got these at whole food just yesterday for $3.99 per pound so I picked up almost 2.5 lbs. We also go 2 lbs of Andouille sausage to try out.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Let me tell you about the smells then Lily. While browning the ribs I started coughing and my nose was running, perhaps the smoked paprika (pretty hot) and cayenne pepper, but did it ever smell great. :D

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Below is the finished dish at least my portion. I ran a stick blender through the braising liquid then strained out a quart. Added a table spoon of demi glaze brought it to a boil then turned it down on low and let it simmer for a few minutes. Now I simply put it over the noodles and rib with some chopped green onion. The meat was fork tender and delicious as was the Brussels sprouts.

Attachments

• IMG_3341.jpg
    IMG_3341.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited: